Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Many Folks Gave Up On Mega Millions Now That The Odds Are In The Stratosphere?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2014, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I've cut back on both games, mainly to save money. I only play them on my own when the jackpots get above $100 million. I'm also running a pool at work in which we play, Megamillions, Powerball, and Lotto, so I still get to play every drawing, just if we win it will be shared with others.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
    Member #146028
    August 22, 2013
    849 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2014, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I just posted on the forum about PB but am curious how many people have dropped their play down from MM now that is in the strastophere odds wise?

I used to play $5 on it, no problem at a buck a ticket.. but now I feel you have to be struck by lightening like 10X over to get that jackpot.. so I only play $1 now or $2 if I want to play a set of my own numbers and an easy pic.. goodness 1-75.. whose gonna hit that..has anyone yet? 

I haven't been paying that much attention since it lost my attention?  Would be curious if you changed your method of play since this change?

LottoMomma

See Ya!

In all due respects to the LP's Administration posting on February 03, 2014: NY's Lotto No Match For Powerball, Mega Millions. And I'm only speaking in reference to the Mega Millions Game but I for one am looking for the reverse to happen in the not so distant future. That is, as soon as people realize ( by the depletion of money in their pockets) that the odds of winning the Mega Millions Lottery is astronomically stacked against them I think that they will revert back to playing their local State Lottery Game. It's already happened with a few seasoned veterans here after the ridiculous changeover took place.

System's Players are not stupid although the Mega Millions Lottery administration probably thinks so!

So save your betslips the N.Y. STATE LOTTO will rise again.

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1654 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2014, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

In all due respects to the LP's Administration posting on February 03, 2014: NY's Lotto No Match For Powerball, Mega Millions. And I'm only speaking in reference to the Mega Millions Game but I for one am looking for the reverse to happen in the not so distant future. That is, as soon as people realize ( by the depletion of money in their pockets) that the odds of winning the Mega Millions Lottery is astronomically stacked against them I think that they will revert back to playing their local State Lottery Game. It's already happened with a few seasoned veterans here after the ridiculous changeover took place.

System's Players are not stupid although the Mega Millions Lottery administration probably thinks so!

You know, I've looked at this thread several times...particularly the title of it and I just now decided to post after seeing what you've said here:

I think that they will revert back to playing their local State Lottery Game. 

Over in another thread, I mentioned how folks were once tickled to death to play their local state lottery for a chance to win a measly $8-$10 million. Then, the MM's and PB took over...flaunting all that cash in folks' faces and baiting 'em in. Once it got 'em in, the matrix was changed and the prices were doubled. You know,greed is a funny thing...it'll cause a person to lose focus on the main details of what's really going on in a situation. 

All these people blinded by record jackpots when there really weren't any increases in winners on the old matrix with less numbers. But, it was all that money and hype without a single iota of the reality of a better chance to win. People 'waiting' for the jackpot to climb sky high and for what? The odds are still the same and only the money changed. Ahhhh, there goes that money word again...BIG MONEY. I personally believe that this is why a certain type of people will never experience such a windfall...they're just greedy and that's not to be mean, but rather honest. The good book talks about greed, you know, and being unappreciative.

"Yeah, the jackpot's only $40M right now so I ain't playin'...it's not worth it." Stunning, but to each their very confused own.  Every state has it's own online system for MM's and PB. Just like each state produces duplicate winning tickets, losing tickets are duplicated as well. There's absolutely nothing saying that each and every combination is being purchased as opposed to lots of 'em simply being duplicated. The machines in Texas have no clue what the machines in New York are doing...period. Yet, people get all flustered when certain states have repeat wins. It goes on and on.

Finally, and back to my original concern which is the title of this thread. I pose the serious question, "Were the odds of MM's not in the stratosphere before now?" 

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
        Member #34931
        March 9, 2006
        98 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2014, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Arizona lottery sales . . July through December 2013:

Scratchers  62.6% . . Draw Games 36.9%

Powerball . . down 15.4% from the prior year

Mega Millions . . an increase of 101.9% over the prior year

http://arizonalottery.com/01_24_14_AZLotteryCommissionReport.pdf

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19896 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2014, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

The reasons many states added PB and MM games were to boost sales of their local games.  If more folks start buying local games then adding PB and MM will have served their purpose.  In Ohio, the local 6/49 Classic Lotto game has a $60M jackpot so it's starting to look more attractive every drawing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2014, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I play MM just about like I always did.  Skip the first drawing after the JP is won, then play 1 or 2 lines (no megaball) till it gets really high - like over a quarter of a million cash value, then I play 4 or 5 lines.

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
              Member #146028
              August 22, 2013
              849 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2014, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Arizona lottery sales . . July through December 2013:

Scratchers  62.6% . . Draw Games 36.9%

Powerball . . down 15.4% from the prior year

http://arizonalottery.com/01_24_14_AZLotteryCommissionReport.pdf

Would you be so kind as to giving us that percentage again on October 22, 2014 which by the way    constitutes exactly one (1) year from the effective changeover date?

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2014, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Players going for 5 + 0 also have to consider if they're more likely to pick 5 of 59 or 5 of 75.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1696 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2014, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Well, It's been about 17 years playing the lotteries with some of same number sets, and the most I have won is $150.00 on PB and $150.00 on MM.  My patience is getting very thin.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                    NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    12095 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2014, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I play Mega Millions sporadically.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12095 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2014, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Well, It's been about 17 years playing the lotteries with some of same number sets, and the most I have won is $150.00 on PB and $150.00 on MM.  My patience is getting very thin.

You do not have to play the lottery everyday in order to win SOMEDAY.

US Flag

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12095 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2014, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Players going for 5 + 0 also have to consider if they're more likely to pick 5 of 59 or 5 of 75.

Lottery games are commulative.

US Flag