Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch-Off Tickets bought by the pack/roll

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 2 years ago by tjbrnsgr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
david321's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
Houston, TX
United States
Member #152207
February 8, 2014
23 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2014, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Hey Lottery Post members, just wanted to find out if anybody had ever bought whole packs of scratch-off tickets. How did you end up after scrathing all of them?

Miami, Florida
    United States
    Member #111795
    June 2, 2011
    581 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2014, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Hey Lottery Post members, just wanted to find out if anybody had ever bought whole packs of scratch-off tickets. How did you end up after scrathing all of them?

I have bought seven or eight complete rolls. I have only profited twice. Both times were decent profits, but unfortunately my losing experiences were brutal. There are many players, even big time players, who refuse to buy whole rolls. I can see why, but I definitely get the urge every so often to get the whole roll-- you're thinking  "man, there's gonna be a good winner in this roll, I can feel it. That 10k ticket is in this roll somewhere!"  Hey, if you can do it financially and you want to try it, give it a shot. You never know! Just also be prepared for the possibility of a stiff loss. Either way, good luck!

Olney, MD
      United States
      Member #121536
      January 11, 2012
      450 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2014, 8:53 am - IP Logged

I have bought seven or eight complete rolls. I have only profited twice. Both times were decent profits, but unfortunately my losing experiences were brutal. There are many players, even big time players, who refuse to buy whole rolls. I can see why, but I definitely get the urge every so often to get the whole roll-- you're thinking  "man, there's gonna be a good winner in this roll, I can feel it. That 10k ticket is in this roll somewhere!"  Hey, if you can do it financially and you want to try it, give it a shot. You never know! Just also be prepared for the possibility of a stiff loss. Either way, good luck!

How did you do on the rolls you profited on?

Miami, Florida
        United States
        Member #111795
        June 2, 2011
        581 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

How did you do on the rolls you profited on?

One roll gave a profit of approximately $450, it had a $500 winner as well as three winners of $100 and smaller amounts, and the other one returned a profit of maybe $300. The rolls cost $600. The worst one returned only $210.

Houston, TX
          United States
          Member #152207
          February 8, 2014
          23 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2014, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Thanks OldSchoolHits! Good luck to you too!

Saint Petersburg
            United States
            Member #151352
            January 15, 2014
            141 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2014, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I have bought a total of 6 rolls thus far. The first roll I ever purchased was the ($5) Lucky Loot for $300. bought 5 rolls of them on seperate occasions. Only profitted on the first roll for only $25. Spent $300 and made $325. Of course that wasn't satisfying enough, so I immediately purchased another one with winnings and only won $130 from the next roll. The other 3 rolls I bought of the same game won only $185. Then recently last week, I chucked out $600 for a roll of the new $20 Super Millions and only got back $245. I was not pleased with that result at all and have slowed my roll down big time since. But I will try again some other time when i'm not so focused on it, and just buy one on a whim. That's usually when you get pleasantly surprised with a big win from within.

Lexington Ky
              United States
              Member #49635
              February 9, 2007
              10 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2014, 6:08 am - IP Logged

I have seen as little as 50.00 from a roll of 20.00 tickets,not a good practice I would think

Jacksonville
                United States
                Member #153806
                March 26, 2014
                345 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2014, 12:11 am - IP Logged

That would seem kind of odd.  Florida usually keeps the overall payout structure for most rolls at a return of about 40% to 45%.  Getting $50 on a $20 ticket roll ($600 total) would seem very odd. 

I have bought 5 rolls (2 x $10 rolls and 4 x $5 rolls) total over many years and I have never profited once.  My best outcome was with a $10 roll when I only lost $150 because of several $100 wins.

If you do buy the rolls, do it for fun because the odds are stacked up against you greatly.

Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #153514
                  March 18, 2014
                  15 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2014, 12:15 am - IP Logged

In Georgia, all rolls cost 300 dollars, with a guaranteed payout of at least 130 per roll so I feel like buying the roll is less risky than it sounds like in other states!

Houston, TX
                    United States
                    Member #152207
                    February 8, 2014
                    23 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2014, 2:18 am - IP Logged

That would seem kind of odd.  Florida usually keeps the overall payout structure for most rolls at a return of about 40% to 45%.  Getting $50 on a $20 ticket roll ($600 total) would seem very odd. 

I have bought 5 rolls (2 x $10 rolls and 4 x $5 rolls) total over many years and I have never profited once.  My best outcome was with a $10 roll when I only lost $150 because of several $100 wins.

If you do buy the rolls, do it for fun because the odds are stacked up against you greatly.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking. They are pretty bad odds if you buy them by the pack.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #130213
                      July 9, 2012
                      387 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2014, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Last weekend I got burned with the $5 NJ crossword. I started playing, half-way thru a pack ($300 a pack, 60 tix) and ended up chasing the winner which was the last ticket on the roll. I then got tempted to play the next roll, hoping the winner would come early. It didn't. It was half-way.  So by now, I won $100 on number 59 of the old roll and used that to get to number 25 of the new roll to win $100.

By this time, I should have stopped. I may have been losing $20-$30 only. But I went on to play the rest of the roll thru number 59. I ended up losing $150 playing $450 worth of tickets. The next day, I came in and found a new roll of $3 NJ crossword with multiplier. I won $200 on the 1st ticket off the roll.

The moral of the story is dont play the whole pack ! Be happy if you win $100,$150,$200. Play to win !

Its brutal and depressing to play loser after loser after loser.

Lexington, SC
                        United States
                        Member #153877
                        March 28, 2014
                        79 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2014, 2:44 am - IP Logged

I'm from South Carolina so the maximum price a pack/book of lottery tickets (from $1 - $10) can cost is a total of $300.  I have only brought whole packs of $10 tickets and usually only when they are doing special books with 2nd chance opportunities and $1 million top prize pay outs (i.e. Diamond Millionaire, Money Money Millionaire and currently Millionaire Madness).  The most I've made on a profit from buying a $10 book was $400.  It was a Money Money Millionaire pack that had a $500 instant win ticket plus several smaller tickets that help add up to the $700 prize for the book.  I reinvested that money back in by buying 2 additional books and 10 tickets from the lotto bin.

The worse I've ever done was only winning $120 (I think that's the lowest amount per book, but SC doesn't publish those stats like say the Texas lottery) and it too was on a Money Money Millionaire pack.

Going back to what I said earlier, I only tend to buy whole books (when there isn't a 2nd chance promotion or $1 million top prize) when I have a collection of tickets that equal $300.  I'm the kind of person that buys tickets here and there like if I'm at a gas station or grocery store that sells them.  If I have a winner, I hold on to them since some games here tend to last more than 12 months then once I reach that $300 limit I cash in on a book.

The only time I will go flat out and buy a book withing using the above strategy is when I get my tax return.  I usually take $300 from that, set it to the side, check the lottery website and see what current game is out there and what new game is coming up.  If I like the new game I will usually take that money and buy a book.  I usually reinvest that money back into buying books depending on the amount.  If my winnings from a book is between $250 - $300, then I will add the difference my own pocket to get another book.  If it's under $250 then I will just buy the tickets from the bin of the value of my tickets and hope for the best while starting my strategy over of reaching $300 in win tickets before buying a book again.

This year, I've been lucky (but not as lucky as I want!) on the Millionaire Madness ticket.  After spending the initial $300 from my tax return to buy a book, I haven't had less than $250 in a book for that game which has allowed me to reinvest the difference back into buying another book.  So far I have purchased 4 books of Millionaire Madness and excluding the initial $300 I don't think I have invested more than $120 total.

Tampa, Fl
                          United States
                          Member #136502
                          December 12, 2012
                          109 Posts
                          Posted: April 10, 2014, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I have seen as little as 50.00 from a roll of 20.00 tickets,not a good practice I would think

Yea, this is straight up fraud if you ask me.

Jacksonville
                            United States
                            Member #153806
                            March 26, 2014
                            345 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2014, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Well I am going three ways (me and two co-workers) sometime this week or next week to buy a $10 roll of the $200 Million Spectaculary ($600 roll in Florida).  I've bought two previous rolls with my co-workers and we got back $405 the first time and $410 the second time.  So I'll let everyone know how it goes.  There is a small chance we may buy the $20 roll of Super Millions for the same $600.

Jacksonville
                              United States
                              Member #153806
                              March 26, 2014
                              345 Posts
                              Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

In case anyone is interested.  We bought a roll of the $200 MS.  Here were the results:

Ticket No.    Prize Won  (If no ticket number is listed, it was a loser)

07     $10

09     $20

13     $50

25     $10

28     $10

29     $15

37     $10

38     $10

39     $100

42     $15

50     $10

51     $10

52     $20

53     $20

55     $15

57     $10

59     $50

Total payout was $385 for a loss of $215.  I still have not made money on a roll.