Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch-Off Tickets bought by the pack/roll

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 2 years ago by tjbrnsgr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Miami, Florida
United States
Member #111795
June 2, 2011
581 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

In case anyone is interested.  We bought a roll of the $200 MS.  Here were the results:

Ticket No.    Prize Won  (If no ticket number is listed, it was a loser)

07     $10

09     $20

13     $50

25     $10

28     $10

29     $15

37     $10

38     $10

39     $100

42     $15

50     $10

51     $10

52     $20

53     $20

55     $15

57     $10

59     $50

Total payout was $385 for a loss of $215.  I still have not made money on a roll.

Wow. First 25 tickets of that roll were brutal. I've come ahead on only two rolls ever--but I understand the temptation to buy entire rolls. It's hit or miss. Hope you do better next time.

Jacksonville
    United States
    Member #153806
    March 26, 2014
    345 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Wow. First 25 tickets of that roll were brutal. I've come ahead on only two rolls ever--but I understand the temptation to buy entire rolls. It's hit or miss. Hope you do better next time.

The overall result is pretty much what I expected.  I split it 3 ways with two other co-workers so I didn't take too bad of a beating.  I was grateful for that $50 win at the end because it was looking pretty bad until that point. I agree that the first half of the roll was brutal.  My co-workers and I do this every few months, so maybe our luck will be better next time.  One $500 win and we leave ahead.

Saint Petersburg
      United States
      Member #151352
      January 15, 2014
      141 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2014, 12:44 am - IP Logged

Bought a roll of Shimmering 7's that costs $300 from the Forida lottery. $5 tickets with 60 tickets in a roll. Won $565 from the roll. Had a $400 winner in the roll. Profitted around $265 from the roll

Jacksonville
        United States
        Member #153806
        March 26, 2014
        345 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2014, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Bought a roll of Shimmering 7's that costs $300 from the Forida lottery. $5 tickets with 60 tickets in a roll. Won $565 from the roll. Had a $400 winner in the roll. Profitted around $265 from the roll

Nice job.  It's tough to profit from the rolls but you just need one decent winner to make it happen.

Washougal
          United States
          Member #155590
          May 23, 2014
          3 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2014, 1:42 am - IP Logged

2 years ago, when I was just getting into scratchers, I bought a roll of $2 tickets. I thought I had it all figured out, a real strategy. Within the first 10 I'd hit a $50...by the end of the pack I had hit 2 $2 winners; that was it. 

I can't remember if that roll came in a 100 pack or 50, but I can tell you this - I lost money and that strategy sucked. In the years since I've dropped the idea of strategy, but I rarely just buy 1. I found 2 - 3 to be a pretty good chance at hitting 50% of my money back or better, but obviously it doesn't always work. I haven't bought a roll of anything since, and I don't think it would work out on average, but as Gator said you really only need one decent winner to make it worthwhile.

Florida
            United States
            Member #151010
            January 5, 2014
            196 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2014, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Buying by the roll has never seemed to be a good idea. I tried it once on $1 scratchers and from the others that have posted the results, I've noticed that the positions of winners and their prize amounts makes it impossible to profit even if you only bought within the areas of the concentrated winners.

One thing I've tried (with mixed results) is the "Build your own roll" by buying the same game from several different locations. Have not spent $600+ at one time because it just seems too expensive, but for those of you looking to try your luck at a bunch of ticket, try this. Find a bunch of lottery retailers in your area. Buy 1 or max (2) from a roll and try not to buy more than 3 from one location unless it includes a vending machine. For example if one wanted to create a roll of:

Buy 2 GRT from a local Publix (1 behind the counter) and (1 from the vending machine)

Buy 2 GRT from Winn Dixie (1 behind the counter) and (1 from the vending machine)

Buy 1 GRT from Save-A-Lot

Buy 1 GRT from each of the following places (if some locations have 2 active rolls, you can choose to buy one from each roll, but I usually only get 1)

(1) No affiliation Kangaroo, (1) Shell, (1) Chevron, (1) Marathon, (1) BP (1) Citgo, (1) Exxon/Mobi (1) Sunoco

Buy 2 GRT from a local Mom&Pop store (no more even if they have multiple rolls). The tiebreaker for if they have a bunch of rolls, ask for the one with the highest and lowest number.

Buy 1 GRT from the sketchy side of town at a local sketchy mom-and-pop (because if you show the money for 2 tix you might be putting yourself in Jeopardy).

Buy 1 GRT from the closest Lottery District Office OR FL Turnpike Service Plaza Vending Machine OR Pilot Travel/Love's/Flying J/Travel A Vending Machine, whichever 1 you can get to without too much travel. If multiple options are available, pick-up one for each.

Buy 1 GRT from a dedicated Liquor Store

Depending on where you live in FL, hit the nearest small town during the OFF season. Ex: Places like Cedar Key and St George Island are great to buy when lotto when season is OFF because of their location, other than tourists, business is slow. Then you've got small towns and ghost towns like Orange Springs and/or Keanesville where outside traffic is to a minimun due to location or bypasses. Try and buy 1 from each of the local establishments here, where's there's anywhere between 1-3 local stores. If you live in South FL, replace this with the Latin Foodmarkets in Dade and Broward Counties.

Using these techniques you can supplement until you get the 30 tickets you normally would have had you bought an entire roll. The only difference now is that they've come from all over, so that in theory, you could have 30 winners (or unfortunately 30 losers!!) But either way I like this method of bulk buying better because it seems more possible of breaking even.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #149492
              December 2, 2013
              919 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2014, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I don't like buying rolls either.  Here's how I look at it, using our $20 payout schedule and odds as an example.

Our $20 game comes in packs of 30, so it's $600.  Generally speaking, the only way to profit from rolls is to find a $500 or higher winner in the pack. The odds are 1 in 420 to hit the $500 which is 1 in 14 packs.  So, with this game, I see my odds at profiting from a roll to be about 1 in 14.

With this game, in a typical book, you'll see one $100, one or two $50, one $25, four $20, and three ticket winners which add up to $315-$365 (ROI of 52.5%-60.85%).

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22848 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2014, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Buying by the roll has never seemed to be a good idea. I tried it once on $1 scratchers and from the others that have posted the results, I've noticed that the positions of winners and their prize amounts makes it impossible to profit even if you only bought within the areas of the concentrated winners.

One thing I've tried (with mixed results) is the "Build your own roll" by buying the same game from several different locations. Have not spent $600+ at one time because it just seems too expensive, but for those of you looking to try your luck at a bunch of ticket, try this. Find a bunch of lottery retailers in your area. Buy 1 or max (2) from a roll and try not to buy more than 3 from one location unless it includes a vending machine. For example if one wanted to create a roll of:

Buy 2 GRT from a local Publix (1 behind the counter) and (1 from the vending machine)

Buy 2 GRT from Winn Dixie (1 behind the counter) and (1 from the vending machine)

Buy 1 GRT from Save-A-Lot

Buy 1 GRT from each of the following places (if some locations have 2 active rolls, you can choose to buy one from each roll, but I usually only get 1)

(1) No affiliation Kangaroo, (1) Shell, (1) Chevron, (1) Marathon, (1) BP (1) Citgo, (1) Exxon/Mobi (1) Sunoco

Buy 2 GRT from a local Mom&Pop store (no more even if they have multiple rolls). The tiebreaker for if they have a bunch of rolls, ask for the one with the highest and lowest number.

Buy 1 GRT from the sketchy side of town at a local sketchy mom-and-pop (because if you show the money for 2 tix you might be putting yourself in Jeopardy).

Buy 1 GRT from the closest Lottery District Office OR FL Turnpike Service Plaza Vending Machine OR Pilot Travel/Love's/Flying J/Travel A Vending Machine, whichever 1 you can get to without too much travel. If multiple options are available, pick-up one for each.

Buy 1 GRT from a dedicated Liquor Store

Depending on where you live in FL, hit the nearest small town during the OFF season. Ex: Places like Cedar Key and St George Island are great to buy when lotto when season is OFF because of their location, other than tourists, business is slow. Then you've got small towns and ghost towns like Orange Springs and/or Keanesville where outside traffic is to a minimun due to location or bypasses. Try and buy 1 from each of the local establishments here, where's there's anywhere between 1-3 local stores. If you live in South FL, replace this with the Latin Foodmarkets in Dade and Broward Counties.

Using these techniques you can supplement until you get the 30 tickets you normally would have had you bought an entire roll. The only difference now is that they've come from all over, so that in theory, you could have 30 winners (or unfortunately 30 losers!!) But either way I like this method of bulk buying better because it seems more possible of breaking even.

This idea is perfect.

Just take your posted odds of 1 winner of $500 in 14 packs. Say 2 packs at most are at the store you normally buy from

and you decide to chase or buy a pack that way. What are the chances of hitting that 1/14 in your store that has 2 packs

...heck, who would even play the entire (let alone cost and if the entire pack is there - not that someone played 5 tickets

or more out of each) 2 packs they have with the chance that it could be one of the 13 losing packs? In that case, you'll

be awfully anxious to find a $500 or more but most likely will find a few faces values and $100's.

I would never, ever, ever play a pack out at the machine or counter. It's ridiculous to me. The odds are horrible that you'll

even find a top prize. It's right place, right time and that's it. I've read post after post here of chasing gone bad. I'd much

rather stick to the one out method. It's been very good to me in the past. It's the way to go.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Tyler Texas
                  United States
                  Member #130924
                  July 28, 2012
                  81 Posts
                  Posted: June 4, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I am no statistician or math guru and never won more than $1000 on a scratchoff. However I can not figure out how one and done vs buying a roll vs any other method I see talked about in here is any better. Seems to me its all blind luck unless you know everything that was played off of any given roll and know exactly how many prizes are available at that given second. The odds are very much against us no matter what we do. I have bought several rolls over the years and never even broke even. I have a system of buying 4 of each ticket and buy $100 at a time and it does not work worth a s%^& and Ive tried numerous other ways for years and have had the same results. Buying one and done may help keep you from overspending but I cant see how that improves your odds of winning one bit.Texas tells what the minimum payout will be on every roll. If you buy a roll(25 tickets@$20) you will know the minimum you will pocket at the end($180ish I think).If I go to 25 places/rolls and buy one each I could realistically lose on all 25 and not pocket a penny and I almost did just that 2 years ago($20 tickets and won $40 total). We keep on playing and most of us spend more than we really should chasing that big one and for the thrill. Outside of a few small things you can do to ever so slightly improve your odds I think its blind luck and some people are just luckier than others. Maybe Im wrong.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22848 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2014, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

ronnieh, you are right some people are luckier than others but some places are luckier than others too.

I notice around my area there are rotten places and good places. There are some places I avoid because I

never win anything good there. $20 on a $20 isn't a good win for me, in fact, it's irritating. Now, that's only

me because I want something bigger than my $20 back although it brings me right back to where I was.

Spend it, win it back. I would like to spend it and win 100x's back...wouldn't we all though?

I'm convinced it's the place and time...some of my best places aren't best places at different times of the day.

You must go to different places then find one that consistently wins for you. If I kept going to a beer place

around here for all my tickets, I couldn't win a 1/4 of the times I do. That place STINKS. I only go there if

they don't have my favorite tickets at the places I love to go to....but honestly, I know going in there that

I'm not going to find anything really good. That's reserved for Turkey Hill, Giant and the gas station but if

it's not at the time I want to be there at those places, forget it. Time matters too.

Switch up your stores and times. Even try buying a ticket you wouldn't normally buy. Just try a couple

different things, your results may change. Good luck!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

PA
                      United States
                      Member #129849
                      June 29, 2012
                      308 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2014, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I am no statistician or math guru and never won more than $1000 on a scratchoff. However I can not figure out how one and done vs buying a roll vs any other method I see talked about in here is any better. Seems to me its all blind luck unless you know everything that was played off of any given roll and know exactly how many prizes are available at that given second. The odds are very much against us no matter what we do. I have bought several rolls over the years and never even broke even. I have a system of buying 4 of each ticket and buy $100 at a time and it does not work worth a s%^& and Ive tried numerous other ways for years and have had the same results. Buying one and done may help keep you from overspending but I cant see how that improves your odds of winning one bit.Texas tells what the minimum payout will be on every roll. If you buy a roll(25 tickets@$20) you will know the minimum you will pocket at the end($180ish I think).If I go to 25 places/rolls and buy one each I could realistically lose on all 25 and not pocket a penny and I almost did just that 2 years ago($20 tickets and won $40 total). We keep on playing and most of us spend more than we really should chasing that big one and for the thrill. Outside of a few small things you can do to ever so slightly improve your odds I think its blind luck and some people are just luckier than others. Maybe Im wrong.

I can somewhat agree.

Each pack of tickets is designed to be profitable for the lottery. So

take all the tickets of that entire game and assemble them into one giant

pack.... that mega pack is still designed to be profitable and having one pack

of 30 $20 tickets is still designed to be as "profitable" as one big pack of 300

$20 tickets.

For example, lets say in PA that a particular game is designed to return 55%

if every ticket was sold and every winner were claimed. That means that no matter

the sample size this will hold true. The only way you'd be better off by playing tickets

from multiple packs would be if each pack were 100% going to return less money

then invested. So if I knew a $300 pack of tickets was absolutely going to return no

more then $175, then the above strategy would be the best way to play by far.

I can see this method help me keeping my play in control and help me to stop chasing wins.

This is of course if I don't play the whole pack, because then you are chasing! But if I decide

I'm going to play 10 $10 tickets, then I'm much less likely to run back to the store and reinvest

if I lose since I'll have gotten 2 from here and 2 from there and 2 from this place and so on.

Jacksonville
                        United States
                        Member #153806
                        March 26, 2014
                        345 Posts
                        Posted: June 21, 2014, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Well I decided to go all out an buy a roll of the Lucky $200,000 A Year for Life (50 tickets at $20/ticket - Florida scratch-off).  Here were the results:

Ticket NoPayout
                        0$0.00
                        1$50.00
                        2$20.00
                        3$0.00
                        4$0.00
                        5$0.00
                        6$0.00
                        7$100.00
                        8$0.00
                        9$20.00
                        10$30.00
                        11$0.00
                        12$30.00
                        13$40.00
                        14$25.00
                        15$20.00
                        16$0.00
                        17$0.00
                        18$0.00
                        19$0.00
                        20$100.00
                        21$0.00
                        22$0.00
                        23$20.00
                        24$0.00
                        25$25.00
                        26$20.00
                        27$0.00
                        28$0.00
                        29$0.00
                        30$20.00
                        31$100.00
                        32$0.00
                        33$0.00
                        34$25.00
                        35$100.00
                        36$0.00
                        37$0.00
                        38$0.00
                        39$100.00
                        40$25.00
                        41$0.00
                        42$0.00
                        43$0.00
                        44$0.00
                        45$0.00
                        46$0.00
                        47$0.00
                        48$20.00
                        49$0.00
                        $890.00

Although I ended up losing $110, it exceeded my expectations.  Based on the standard odds, I would have lost $490.  A few of my observations were that I won $100 a lot more often than the stated odds of 1 in 30.  Also, I won 20 times which is more frequent that the stated overall odds of 1:2.94.  I doubt that I'll spend this much money again, but it was an interesting experience.

Miami, Florida
                          United States
                          Member #111795
                          June 2, 2011
                          581 Posts
                          Posted: June 21, 2014, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Well I decided to go all out an buy a roll of the Lucky $200,000 A Year for Life (50 tickets at $20/ticket - Florida scratch-off).  Here were the results:

Ticket NoPayout
                          0$0.00
                          1$50.00
                          2$20.00
                          3$0.00
                          4$0.00
                          5$0.00
                          6$0.00
                          7$100.00
                          8$0.00
                          9$20.00
                          10$30.00
                          11$0.00
                          12$30.00
                          13$40.00
                          14$25.00
                          15$20.00
                          16$0.00
                          17$0.00
                          18$0.00
                          19$0.00
                          20$100.00
                          21$0.00
                          22$0.00
                          23$20.00
                          24$0.00
                          25$25.00
                          26$20.00
                          27$0.00
                          28$0.00
                          29$0.00
                          30$20.00
                          31$100.00
                          32$0.00
                          33$0.00
                          34$25.00
                          35$100.00
                          36$0.00
                          37$0.00
                          38$0.00
                          39$100.00
                          40$25.00
                          41$0.00
                          42$0.00
                          43$0.00
                          44$0.00
                          45$0.00
                          46$0.00
                          47$0.00
                          48$20.00
                          49$0.00
                          $890.00

Although I ended up losing $110, it exceeded my expectations.  Based on the standard odds, I would have lost $490.  A few of my observations were that I won $100 a lot more often than the stated odds of 1 in 30.  Also, I won 20 times which is more frequent that the stated overall odds of 1:2.94.  I doubt that I'll spend this much money again, but it was an interesting experience.

Very cool, and I agree that it exceeded expectations. 5 winners of $100 is pretty cool. Didn't see that coming at all! I've bought 2 rolls of $1,000 so far; the first a couple years ago with Billion Dollar Blockbuster, the second on the current 100x game. Both times were not great returns. The BDB returned only $495 I believe. Might have been $595. The 100x wasn't that great either. I clearly remember having 2 winners of $100 for the BDB roll. Hitting 5 in the LFL roll you scratched is very cool. Overall I like Lucky for Life, it has produced $200 winners for me various times. Here's to hoping you get a big win soon!

Bay Area, CA
                            United States
                            Member #155944
                            June 3, 2014
                            23 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2014, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Ticket NoPayout
                            0$0.00
                            1$50.00
                            2$20.00
                            3$0.00
                            4$0.00
                            5$0.00
                            6$0.00
                            7$100.00
                            8$0.00
                            9$20.00
                            10$30.00
                            11$0.00
                            12$30.00
                            13$40.00
                            14$25.00
                            15$20.00
                            16$0.00
                            17$0.00
                            18$0.00
                            19$0.00
                            20$100.00
                            21$0.00
                            22$0.00
                            23$20.00
                            24$0.00
                            25$25.00
                            26$20.00
                            27$0.00
                            28$0.00
                            29$0.00
                            30$20.00
                            31$100.00
                            32$0.00
                            33$0.00
                            34$25.00
                            35$100.00
                            36$0.00
                            37$0.00
                            38$0.00
                            39$100.00
                            40$25.00
                            41$0.00
                            42$0.00
                            43$0.00
                            44$0.00
                            45$0.00
                            46$0.00
                            47$0.00
                            48$20.00
                            49$0.00
                            $890.00

That roll looks pretty good except for the end. I feel like I run into 6-7 losers in a row only to get a break even way too often. Otherwise, 4 losers in a row to win $100 is fine as long as you are willing to chase. I agree that I think you got a nice roll. Too bad it didn't profit but I would gladly take your result any day.

Jacksonville
                              United States
                              Member #153806
                              March 26, 2014
                              345 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2014, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Well my co-workers (convinced that I am on a lucky streak) coerced me into going 4 ways for another roll of the $200 Million Spectacular ($10/ticket with 60 tickets on a roll = $600).  Needless to day, we got our asses kicked.  I've never seen one this bad.  I triple checked the winners and losers.   Here were the results:

Ticket NoPayout
                              0$10.00
                              1$0.00
                              2$0.00
                              3$0.00
                              4$0.00
                              5$0.00
                              6$0.00
                              7$0.00
                              8$0.00
                              9$0.00
                              10$0.00
                              11$0.00
                              12$20.00
                              13$0.00
                              14$0.00
                              15$20.00
                              16$0.00
                              17$10.00
                              18$0.00
                              19$0.00
                              20$15.00
                              21$0.00
                              22$0.00
                              23$0.00
                              24$10.00
                              25$0.00
                              26$0.00
                              27$0.00
                              28$0.00
                              29$0.00
                              30$15.00
                              31$15.00
                              32$10.00
                              33$0.00
                              34$0.00
                              35$0.00
                              36$0.00
                              37$20.00
                              38$0.00
                              39$0.00
                              40$0.00
                              41$0.00
                              42$10.00
                              43$10.00
                              44$20.00
                              45$0.00
                              46$0.00
                              47$0.00
                              48$20.00
                              49$0.00
                              50$0.00
                              51$0.00
                              52$0.00
                              53$0.00
                              54$0.00
                              55$0.00
                              56$0.00
                              57$0.00
                              58$0.00
                              59$0.00
                              $205.00

You saw that right.  No winners of $25 or more.  We only had 14 wins when 17 would have been the standard for the overall game odds.  We took at $395 hit on this one.  I still like this game, but it will be a while before I do this again.