Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cashing in a Non-Jackpot Lottery Ticket under $600

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4783 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2014, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I attempted to cash in my $150 win for life ticket at the 7-11 by me where I bought the ticket. The store owner (I hate this store generally) said he did not have cash and acted like he did not want to be bothered. I asked if I should come back later...and he was being vague. I asked him what was the maximum he would honor then in general. He avoided answering the question twice and said he did not have the money. I said fine, last time I will come here. I then went 1/2 mile down the road to another 7-11 and they cashed it without any problem and were nice about it also.

Was this proper conduct by the first 7-11? I did not buy a word he said.

J'aime La France.

rustysmom's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
    ohio
    United States
    Member #706
    September 14, 2002
    712 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2014, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

I attempted to cash in my $150 win for life ticket at the 7-11 by me where I bought the ticket. The store owner (I hate this store generally) said he did not have cash and acted like he did not want to be bothered. I asked if I should come back later...and he was being vague. I asked him what was the maximum he would honor then in general. He avoided answering the question twice and said he did not have the money. I said fine, last time I will come here. I then went 1/2 mile down the road to another 7-11 and they cashed it without any problem and were nice about it also.

personally, i would never do any business w/ the first store ever again. he  should have said, i'm sorry we only can cash tickets up to (?).  some stores even have that posted..i would also send and email to  you lottery and complain. if i have a large amount i always go to grocerie store where i know they have more cash on hand.

Bran77's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
      808/253
      United States
      Member #129752
      June 27, 2012
      2515 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2014, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Hey Artist.

I think all 7-11 stores shouldn't sell lottery if they cant honor the payouts. Here in Wa the highest they can cash out is 50$ and sometimes they won't cash it either. I have had a couple run ins with the towel heads on what proper conduct should be if they sell lottery products in their stores.  I understand that they can't cash a 500$ ticket, but 50$ come on man get rid of your lottery products then if you can't payout!!!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2014, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

No.  You should report it to your lottery office.  Some 7-11's in California treat winners the same way.  They have no problems selling you tickets, but once you come back with $100+ winners, they give some excuse and refuse to cash it.  I see complaints on our CA Lottery Facebook site sometimes, and the CA Lottery office responds by requesting that we report those stores.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3471 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

If it was a clerk if could be true, because the vast majority of stores require that cash be put into a drop safe to limit the amount that's available to those who don't have keys to the safe.  People who have keys/combination to the safe should include the manager and owner, so I'm guessing  the guy you talked to had brown eyes.

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4783 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all. I will call the VA lottery tomorrow. I reported this store once before via email and got no response.

J'aime La France.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19727 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations on your WIN!!Party

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4783 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

If it was a clerk if could be true, because the vast majority of stores require that cash be put into a drop safe to limit the amount that's available to those who don't have keys to the safe.  People who have keys/combination to the safe should include the manager and owner, so I'm guessing  the guy you talked to had brown eyes.

lol...yes they all have brown eyes there. But so did the other 7-11 and they had no issue. Oh well, I will avoid this 7-11 since I would not want them to get a bonus should I win big.

So how much can a big grocery store chain normally cash?

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                  Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1257 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all. I will call the VA lottery tomorrow. I reported this store once before via email and got no response.

I bet the call will get more attention.  It's too easy to just hit "Delete" on an email and forget about it.

I wrote about this a long time ago after I joined LP, but shortly after the Texas Lottery started, I won $78.  I went to the store where I had made the purchase to cash the ticket and was told they only paid prizes over $20 w/ a store money order.  I understood, because it's a company policy to keep very little cash in their registers ($20 or less at night, very hard to do)  When I got the M.O., it had the fee taken out of the total.  It was only .49 cents, but it still irked me and I told them I didn't want to take it.  They told me I didn't have a choice.  "It's only .49 cents!" the mgr. told me. "If it's only .49 cents," I replied. "then why don't YOU pay it?"   When I got home, I called the lottery center in Austin (costing me more than the .49) and complained. I was told they weren't supposed to charge me and that it would be looked into. 

A few weeks later, I won another similar prize and before I let them issue the M.O., I asked if the fee would be taken out.  I was told it would.  I called the Austin office again and was told the company had been told not to do that and measures would be taken.  Long story short, the next time I was in the store, the manager told me it would be best if I took my "lottery business" elsewhere...and I obliged, but not after callng the corporate office to complain about my treatment.  When they found out who I was,  they weren't happy, but promised they'd speak to the mgr. and that I wasn't banned from that store or any of their others.

Squeaky wheel....

I was once told I couldn't cash a lottery ticket at a store b/c I hadn't bought it there.  I called about them, too.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                   - George Orwell

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4783 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2014, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

ok. I will still call them tomorrow.

J'aime La France.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #129225
                      June 13, 2012
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2014, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I agree avoid going to that store!!  Congratulations on your win!!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2014, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Sounds all too familiar.

I've been denied cashing $500 tickets several times over the years. They say they don't have the money. But they are required by their lottery agreement to have money to cash <$600 winners.

Each time I reported them. But was anything done? I have no idea, never pressed the issue to follow up with the lottery. Were they sent a message? A warning? What's the lottery gonna do, cancel their contract and shut them down? Ha! Hardly. Best way to deal with it is take your dollars elsewhere. Had to take it to a high volume lottery store or major grocery store and they cashed it no problem.

One place that refused to cash a ticket was, ... get this ..., a CHECK CASHING store!!! And this was peak business hours around noon and there was a long line of people there cashing checks or whatever and so I asked, "how can you not have the money, you cash checks here, right?" But she shrugged, and said try coming back later. Uh, they must have separate piles of cash I guess... And with a line of bruthas and sistas forming behind me I didn't bother to press it any further. Just left and avoided that place in the future. They did go out of business a year ago, so that is some small consolation. Blue Thinking

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5588 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2014, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

That happened to me several years ago when I tried to cash a tic worth about $300 (forget the exact amount). It was a small convenience store where I regularly bought my tics. She asked me to come back later because she didn't have the cash right then. I went back a few hours later and she paid with no problem. I didn't have a problem with her because I understood that they don't keep much cash on hand. But after a major grocery store opened right down the street from my house, I've always bought and cashed my tics there. They always have money on hand. One time I cashed a $400 tic at the grocery store and the girl working the service desk looked the tic and said out loud "this ticket's worth $400!" I was a little annoyed at that. I'm like, really??? Tell everybody in the whole store.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

lynki516's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                            Florida
                            United States
                            Member #150771
                            December 30, 2013
                            241 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2014, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Hi, I do not like 7-11 stores anymore. They have become dumpy places to go- they used to be good, about 20-30 years ago- not anymore. Its better to find a little mom/pop store, if there's any around where you live.I Agree!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3046 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2014, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

The circle k I buy lotto at is also like that.  They don't scan your tickets unless you have checked them first at the self check machine on the wall under the keno monitor.  Then if you have a winner they want you to tell them how much you have won becuase they will refuse to pay if it is over a couple hundred.  But I have seen the clerks play the lotto and they get the money out of the tills for their winning tickets.  So I only cash my small wins thier and got to albertsons for bigger wins because they always are helpful with their customer service desk.-weshar75

US Flag