Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cashing in a Non-Jackpot Lottery Ticket under $600

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2014, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

After my first attempt to collect 500 bucks from a 7-11 many many years ago, only to be presented with an offer of a money order, I decided the best place to cash a winning ticket was in a major supermarket chain like PUBLIX in Florida. In fact, after that money order offer, I took my winning ticket back from the clerk and drove accross the street to PUBLIX where they promptly cashed it.

I also noticed that it was better to cash them later in the day when the supermarket had the stored cash. One time I went there too early in the day and after telling me they didn't have the cash, I suggested that between all the cash registers, there had to be 500 bucks. Sure enough, the clerk went to about 3 or 4 registers and got me the cash. I only got that accomplished because I reminded her that I'm a regular customer who spent quite a bit on groceries exclusively at that location.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7295 Posts
    Posted: February 25, 2014, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

After my first attempt to collect 500 bucks from a 7-11 many many years ago, only to be presented with an offer of a money order, I decided the best place to cash a winning ticket was in a major supermarket chain like PUBLIX in Florida. In fact, after that money order offer, I took my winning ticket back from the clerk and drove accross the street to PUBLIX where they promptly cashed it.

I also noticed that it was better to cash them later in the day when the supermarket had the stored cash. One time I went there too early in the day and after telling me they didn't have the cash, I suggested that between all the cash registers, there had to be 500 bucks. Sure enough, the clerk went to about 3 or 4 registers and got me the cash. I only got that accomplished because I reminded her that I'm a regular customer who spent quite a bit on groceries exclusively at that location.

The KY lottery has Cashing Agents for tickets up to $5000, but the number of them is not proportionate to the number of stores selling lottery tickets. It's fine for tickets requiring a W-2G, but the majority of prizes are way under $600 and the store selling a $150 winning ticket should be compelled to cash it or at least give a money order as conditions of selling lottery tickets. I happen to live within ten miles of a Cashing Agent, but that shouldn't relieve the stores where I buy my tickets of cashing tickets under $600.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2014, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

If it was a clerk if could be true, because the vast majority of stores require that cash be put into a drop safe to limit the amount that's available to those who don't have keys to the safe.  People who have keys/combination to the safe should include the manager and owner, so I'm guessing  the guy you talked to had brown eyes.

"I'm guessing  the guy you talked to had brown eyes."

There's no need for your virulent, seething racism, Jellyman.

You're no better than anybody else.

So take your worn-out Aryan Supremacy routine and goose-step it right out of here, buster.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2014, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, hadn't heard a brown eyes comment in quite a while.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1090 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2014, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Wow! the "brown eye" comment takes racism to a new level. KY man needs to open his eyes and take a peek so he can visualize just how many "brown eye" people are around him. BTW, I have blue eyes in case KY needs to mock me.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2014, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

"I'm guessing  the guy you talked to had brown eyes."

There's no need for your virulent, seething racism, Jellyman.

You're no better than anybody else.

So take your worn-out Aryan Supremacy routine and goose-step it right out of here, buster.

I think "Jellyman" should keep this comment in the back of his head for the next time you or one of your groupies bitches about "Patels".  Racism, indeed.

Patriot

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              699 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2014, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I attempted to cash in my $150 win for life ticket at the 7-11 by me where I bought the ticket. The store owner (I hate this store generally) said he did not have cash and acted like he did not want to be bothered. I asked if I should come back later...and he was being vague. I asked him what was the maximum he would honor then in general. He avoided answering the question twice and said he did not have the money. I said fine, last time I will come here. I then went 1/2 mile down the road to another 7-11 and they cashed it without any problem and were nice about it also.

Was this proper conduct by the first 7-11? I did not buy a word he said.

I ran into something similar with a chain of convenience stores in the New Orleans area when I lived there. Basically, no store in this chain would pay money on a winning lottery ticket, they'd only give you more tickets. I went to a couple of stores in this chain and the same thing happened so I quit buying tickets at those stores.

Other than that, I've never had trouble cashing tickets anywhere. I can understand a smaller store having trouble cashing a ticket since they don't keep a lot of money in the register. One time I did try to cash a $400 ticket at a convenience store and they gave me money orders since they didn't have the cash. They didn't charge me for them either. I wanted to get money orders anyway so getting them for free was a nice plus.

What I do is if I have a small ticket, say $20 or less, I'll cash it wherever it is convenient but if I win bigger, like $50 or more, I'll cash them at a supermarket, like Winn Dixie or Albertson's, since those places usually have a fair amount of cash on hand. This has worked well for me and if a store does give me trouble, they don't get my business.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"