Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

10 Stupid Things People Have Done After Winning The Jackpot

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Drenick1.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2014, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod              Mad

My   Dad   always  said  it  takes  all   kinds  to   make  a   world

But  he   also   always   said   ,  what  goes  around   comes  around  ,  every  dog  has   his   day

And  that  dog  of  a  son  ,  will  have  his  day  too

By all accounts Astekblue- the " Son" settled with his Mom last year.She took him to court because his excuse was she " borrowed" $2.00 from him to play, since he did not intend to play he figured out that when his Mom won, it was " his money" because he gave her the money.

l recall " Ronnie from AZ" going on about the Mother being the crook. l said at the time that all the Mother has to get it 7-8 Elderly folk on the Jury and its " game over" for her Son.He probably came to the same conclusion or his attorney told him to wise up.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #35086
    March 12, 2006
    10374 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2014, 12:42 am - IP Logged

By all accounts Astekblue- the " Son" settled with his Mom last year.She took him to court because his excuse was she " borrowed" $2.00 from him to play, since he did not intend to play he figured out that when his Mom won, it was " his money" because he gave her the money.

l recall " Ronnie from AZ" going on about the Mother being the crook. l said at the time that all the Mother has to get it 7-8 Elderly folk on the Jury and its " game over" for her Son.He probably came to the same conclusion or his attorney told him to wise up.

Thanks  for  the  update     noise-gate

Looks   like  their  may  be  a   little  justice  in  the  world   after   all

I   hope  all   he    got   back   was     2.00

Proverbs     20 : 21

Proverbs     30 : 17

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
      SW Florida
      United States
      Member #145673
      August 11, 2013
      152 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2014, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Letting somebody else claim your winnings is just asking for trouble, sorry.  Very naive.  Even if it's your own child, it's best not to put such temptation before them.  They might be nice, loving children but massive amounts of sudden money can bring out the worst in many people.

The other stupid thing to do is to go on wild, uncontrolled spending sprees right away.  I don't understand the appeal of buying several expensive houses and cars for yourself.  The longer term upkeep costs, i.e., insurance, taxes, repairs, maintenance, utilities, etc. for all those things would take a lot of the sparkle off that idea for me.  But at least those wild spenders keep the economy going - real estate agents, car salesmen, city councils, etc.  For a while, at least.  Til it's all gone.  Then the real estate agents make more money.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2014, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Letting somebody else claim your winnings is just asking for trouble, sorry.  Very naive.  Even if it's your own child, it's best not to put such temptation before them.  They might be nice, loving children but massive amounts of sudden money can bring out the worst in many people.

The other stupid thing to do is to go on wild, uncontrolled spending sprees right away.  I don't understand the appeal of buying several expensive houses and cars for yourself.  The longer term upkeep costs, i.e., insurance, taxes, repairs, maintenance, utilities, etc. for all those things would take a lot of the sparkle off that idea for me.  But at least those wild spenders keep the economy going - real estate agents, car salesmen, city councils, etc.  For a while, at least.  Til it's all gone.  Then the real estate agents make more money.

There is more to this story than meets the eye.
        The mother says that as she was about to sign the ticket  her hand was shaking so badly that she told her son to sign for it, not thinking he would pull a fast one on the woman who gave birth to him....you can figure the rest out  Pita Maya.
        At the press conference prior to this hitting the fan- she was the one saying how fortunate she was, her son just grinned from ear to ear. When the time came for her to sign " Satan entered into him"..imo.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1092 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2014, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Edwards and Post have to be in the top 10.

I Agree!Both David Edwards and Bud Post should have easily been in the top 10.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40469 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

Wow, to think some of these people drive.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1092 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2014, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Wow, to think some of these people drive.

That is a scary thought!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40469 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2014, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

That is a scary thought!

lol, yes indeed

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

boston,ma
                  United States
                  Member #150102
                  December 15, 2013
                  112 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2014, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I think by far, the worst is no. 2. Stealing from your own mother? It doesn't get any worse than that, except for matricide.

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2014, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

I think an honorable mention should be Victoria Zell. Google her story it was horrible. She might even rank in the top 5

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2014, 1:12 am - IP Logged

I think by far, the worst is no. 2. Stealing from your own mother? It doesn't get any worse than that, except for matricide.

"It doesn't get any worse than that, except for matricide."

I didn't even know killing a mattress was against the law.

This is gettin' out o' hand.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2014, 1:32 am - IP Logged

"It doesn't get any worse than that, except for matricide."

I didn't even know killing a mattress was against the law.

This is gettin' out o' hand.

Surely you've read the mattress tag that says "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Federal Law!" LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2014, 1:37 am - IP Logged

Surely you've read the mattress tag that says "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Federal Law!" LOL

Yep, I don't mess with them tags.

I think they got little sensors in 'em that notify the feds if you tear 'em off.

I wadn't born yesterday, ya know.

USA
                            United States
                            Member #152799
                            February 25, 2014
                            1092 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2014, 11:44 am - IP Logged

It's unfortunate but a large windfall brings out the worse in many.