Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did NH Lottery lose money in the last MM drawing?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RedStang.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2014, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

The last Mega Millions drawing of 3/21/2014 had only one player nationwide who matched the second prize. That player was from NH and he/she added the Mega Plier which meant they won $5M. The sales for that Mega Millions drawing for NH were a paltry $73,457. I wonder if MUSL will cover the difference or NH Lottery will have to eat that loss. Also I wonder whats the future of the Mega Plier because most states must be very nervous about the X5 draws.

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2014, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

The last Mega Millions drawing of 3/21/2014 had only one player nationwide who matched the second prize. That player was from NH and he/she added the Mega Plier which meant they won $5M. The sales for that Mega Millions drawing for NH were a paltry $73,457. I wonder if MUSL will cover the difference or NH Lottery will have to eat that loss. Also I wonder whats the future of the Mega Plier because most states must be very nervous about the X5 draws.

They should have been putting something aside during all those drawings they didn't have a 5+0 winner.  They had to know they would eventually have one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19894 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2014, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Yes it is always good to add the megaplier if you canWhite Bounce

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
        Member #150370
        December 20, 2013
        451 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2014, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

They should have been putting something aside during all those drawings they didn't have a 5+0 winner.  They had to know they would eventually have one.

I Agree!

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2014, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

That's primarily the reason why almost every draw game we have is pari-mutuel.  I can't remember how they got around the Hot Spot (Keno) payout because that's fixed now. 

If a California player matched 5 of 5 during the last MM draw he/she would have won $118,525. 

For us we try to match numbers in whatever game we play, and when we do, we wait with bated breath that we don't get screwed with the prize amount.  Confused

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40572 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2014, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

They must have a fund already set up.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Maybe Steve Player will help them out?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

People talk funny in New Hampshire.

Ya can't understand a word they say.

They'll turn around to look at ya in the coffee shops and cafes and then talk about ya out loud.

Cuz they know ya can't understand a word they're sayin'.

I don't trust 'em.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't feel too sorry for 'em. Wink

The state has to take care of 2nd thru 9th prizes. Sure, they'll have to pull it out of the reserve fund. But did they actually lose money? Have to check out all the times they didn't have to pay out any 5+0 prizes over the years and add all up all that extra money sitting there.

But yeah, that $5M might've hurt 'em a bit. If you look at it like the base $1M 5+0 prize is funded by MM sales, and the $4M additional Megaplier prize is funded by Megaplier sales. The NH Megaplier sales were only $8,599 for that draw. So that $4M payout is several years worth eaten up in one draw!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

That's primarily the reason why almost every draw game we have is pari-mutuel.  I can't remember how they got around the Hot Spot (Keno) payout because that's fixed now. 

If a California player matched 5 of 5 during the last MM draw he/she would have won $118,525. 

For us we try to match numbers in whatever game we play, and when we do, we wait with bated breath that we don't get screwed with the prize amount.  Confused

They got around it with Hot Spot by floating a large reserve fund for the game.

If you have a big enough reserve, you can support all the fixed prize liability. Technically they could do that with other games too, and technically that's what all lotteries with fixed prizes do in some form or another. But I think they didn't want to rock the boat with the legislators and watchdogs by doing it beyond Hot Spot to revive the Keno game.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2014, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

That reserve fund took a big hit last Saturday. Good job whoever you are! NH has no state taxes on lottery winnings so that lucky person will pocket $3,750,000 instead of $750,000. Where it is available you have to add that mega plier. You just have to Yellow Eyes

lottobrain's avatar - box
                        Smyrna, DE
                        United States
                        Member #10074
                        January 1, 2005
                        125 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2014, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Maybe Steve Player will help them out?

He's probably the guy who won the $5 mil.  He won a big chunk on recent Powerball.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2014, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

He's probably the guy who won the $5 mil.  He won a big chunk on recent Powerball.

If it have been him he would have had a letter out to his customers by now.  When he matched 4+1 with the multiplier, he had a letter out with a picture of his winning ticket within a day of the drawing.

Evil Looking       

Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2014, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

If it have been him he would have had a letter out to his customers by now.  When he matched 4+1 with the multiplier, he had a letter out with a picture of his winning ticket within a day of the drawing.

I Agree! He is not very modest. Modest people cannot make money selling systems.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: March 26, 2014, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I Agree! He is not very modest. Modest people cannot make money selling systems.

It isn't a matter of modesty, Steve Player is in the business of selling lottery systems and uses his wins to demostrate that his systems win.  He just neglects to mention that any system that covers a lot of combinations is going win something.

Evil Looking