Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So much for those big jackpots from Mega Millions LOL

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

"  I think the reason is people can easily get money from the Govt, that offer sufficient extra money helping people buy tickets happily. "

What are you saying here SF- That people are winning because they using welfare cheques  to buy lottery tickets...   State your source? I have heard of people trying to buy cigarettes with food stamps- but lottery tickets?

I know of an old woman who walks the streets begging for money and I give her some when I see her.

I found out from a clerk at the store that she buys lottery tickets with it.

Made me laugh, God Bless her.

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I know of an old woman who walks the streets begging for money and I give her some when I see her.

I found out from a clerk at the store that she buys lottery tickets with it.

Made me laugh, God Bless her.

If you knew that most of them are making a killing begging, whether it's on the street, or especially on the exits of highways and Interstates, you wouldn't be laughing so much. lol

I've busted a couple of them myself. The most interseting guy was someone who stopped me on my way from work and said that he was short bus fare, so I gave him a buck. The very next night I ran into him, but he didn't recognize me. As he was asking me for money for the same exact reason the night before, I stopped him and told him that you gave me the same story last night. Am I to believe that no one has helped you get enough city wide bus fare in the last 24 hours?

He was so embarrassed, and I just walked away without saying anything else.

lol

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19964 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

If you knew that most of them are making a killing begging, whether it's on the street, or especially on the exits of highways and Interstates, you wouldn't be laughing so much. lol

I've busted a couple of them myself. The most interseting guy was someone who stopped me on my way from work and said that he was short bus fare, so I gave him a buck. The very next night I ran into him, but he didn't recognize me. As he was asking me for money for the same exact reason the night before, I stopped him and told him that you gave me the same story last night. Am I to believe that no one has helped you get enough city wide bus fare in the last 24 hours?

lol

Maybe you can get him a bus pass for the whole year Big Grin

Let it Snow Snowman

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1654 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I dont think it's low when you could win way more than you will ever make at your job, or any job (that you're qualified for) for that matter LOL

Amen...and Here, Here! You know, it just boggles my mind when I see posts about so-called low jackpots not being enough to win. Time and time again this game continues to reveal those people that are just plain greedy and not satisfied with what will MORE than fix their financial problems many, many times over if properly managed. I also firmly believe that these same folk will never have the chance to experience such wealth due to their overall mindset about money.

Then, we have those that only wanna play when the jackpot is a few feet from the space station...as if $50M won't let them eat, shop, travel, and provide a little bit better. Hell, I remember when the 'standard single state lotteries' and the jackpot would be around +-$5M...and people were going nuts to play. Now, just look at what the 'love of money' has created. I suppose if this type of person were to win $10K on a scratch-off, they'd just throw it away...'cause it's not enough and they were really, really, really, really, expecting the hit that $1M top tier prize. Oh, wait a minute...what the hell am I talkin' about.

$1M wouldn't be enough either!!!!! "No, Lucky! See, you just don't understand what's going on here in terms of my train of thought, okay!!! The way I see it, buddy, if I'm gonna play this game and spend my money then I'm gonna play for the most money available!!! It doesn't matter that I don't know whether or not it's my time to play and win when the pot is ONLY $60M!!! Now, take your common sense and shove it, waaaay up, where you have to squeeze everything out!!!" Smash By the way, I'm agreeing with your post 110%, Shelby.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

lol

She's 80 yrs old if she's a day.

And I don't miss the couple bucks every once in a while.

She seems like a nice person and it makes her happy.

Some day she won't be there and I'll probably miss her beautiful wrinkled up old face.

I like her.

And she doesn't spend it all on lottery tickets anyway.

Sometimes she has enough for a pack o' cigarettes.

God Bless her.

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you can get him a bus pass for the whole year Big Grin

He doesn't need a pass, he probably has a brand new Mercedes parked in his driveway. lol

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

She's 80 yrs old if she's a day.

And I don't miss the couple bucks every once in a while.

She seems like a nice person and it makes her happy.

Some day she won't be there and I'll probably miss her beautiful wrinkled up old face.

I like her.

And she doesn't spend it all on lottery tickets anyway.

Sometimes she has enough for a pack o' cigarettes.

God Bless her.

Yeah, that's different, this guy was in his 30's.

So sad, no one that age should live like that. Most of them did it to themselves, but there a lot who just had bad breaks and have no family to fall back on.

What a cruel world.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19964 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2014, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

He doesn't need a pass, he probably has a brand new Mercedes parked in his driveway. lol

Spam       Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1654 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2014, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Yeah, that's different, this guy was in his 30's.

So sad, no one that age should live like that. Most of them did it to themselves, but there a lot who just had bad breaks and have no family to fall back on.

What a cruel world.

I see young people here, all the time, that are homeless and begging. It seriously makes me wonder just what went so wrong so early in life that they couldn't recover somehow. Everything is about making choices...good and bad. I agree with your statement of how they did it to themselves one way or another. Still, let's look at it closer. Even if a person was working and lost their job and home, there's unemployment insurance to carry them for a bit. This is the time to be looking for other employment and if they don't look, they won't find it...all while receiving benefits. When this runs out and they don't have a job, then family is supposed to get involved and help in some way...even if it's a place to lay their head down and clean up. But, maybe there's more to it if they have no family to fall back on.

A person can get a job this day and time if they really want to...the economy has nothing to with it. It may not be what they want in their specific line of work, but it'll feed 'em and get some bills paid. Most of all, they'll have dignity and pride for leaving the pity party of unemployment and gettin' on the time clock of taxes again. I've been without a job one time in my life and it didn't last long...neither did I lose everything I had and resorted to begging and homelessness. Somewhere and somehow, I see where these people have mismanaged and blown their finances at some point...and everyone around them knows it. Just my .02.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4145 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2014, 2:08 am - IP Logged

This line of yours is totally precious LL.
                    "Those that only want to play when the jp is a few feet from the space station"
                    It begs the question when is " enough enough? "
                    Someone once responded to me " You don't see Warren Buffett or Bill Gates" say they done making money. l shrug my shoulders at that point. Comparing one's expectations to winning a jp to Buffett & Gates present financial goals is a lousy example. .imo.

Kee12's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      I rep CA
                      Senegal
                      Member #144812
                      July 17, 2013
                      76 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2014, 4:17 am - IP Logged

lol

I have encountered a beggar with that same lie in Africa as well. Must be a worldwide thing for the beggars.

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender...I C U when U get there - Coolio

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19898 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2014, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Hi, jj,

California, was not the most properous lotteries state, I know NJ and NY were the most properous states where produced winners, I think the reason is people can easily get money from the Govt, that offer sufficient extra money helping people buy tickets happily. But, recently SF areas suddenly produced two winners in big jack pots, with which the news arise our interests increasing more confidence.

A sampling of the winners shouldn't be any different than other people who normally play the lotteries and most of them say they plan to continue working as they alway have. 

If you're not getting government assistance and you are playing lotteries, what make you think others who play are?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                          Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2014, 10:22 am - IP Logged

"  I think the reason is people can easily get money from the Govt, that offer sufficient extra money helping people buy tickets happily. "

What are you saying here SF- That people are winning because they using welfare cheques  to buy lottery tickets...   State your source? I have heard of people trying to buy cigarettes with food stamps- but lottery tickets?

I don't agree with or quite understand sfll, but that's partly because of the ESL issues.

But food stamps/EBT can easily be abused, where they sell them for cash, which they can then use on booze, drugs, lottery, etc.

"It’s a welfare fraud scheme costing U.S. taxpayers $750 million a year. People are illegally selling their electronic food stamp cards on Craigslist and other social media sites for cash."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/11/03/food-stamp-fraud-beneficiaries-illegally-sell-ebt-cards-on-craigslist-social-media-sites/

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                            NY
                            United States
                            Member #121961
                            January 21, 2012
                            3159 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2014, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I beg for lotto tickets but it has'nt paid off yet.

United States
                              Member #106134
                              February 13, 2011
                              806 Posts
                              Posted: April 8, 2014, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Mm drawing is tonight & I say there's no way in hell it's gonna roll, in fact I'm predicting multiple winners tonight.  At least one from the San Francisco Bay Area, and one from New York.