Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do people STILL hand their draw tickets over to be scanned??

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2014, 10:20 am - IP Logged

There's got to be dozens of ways to check your own tickets to see if you win. So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4108 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2014, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

There's got to be dozens of ways to check your own tickets to see if you win. So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?

Perhaps these folks cannot read English. l have yet to see a ticket checking machine giving a written response in any other language other than English. Others may not own computers or afford to go online to check if they winners.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
      Kentucky
      United States
      Member #35086
      March 12, 2006
      10374 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2014, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Thats  a   Good   question    Shelby

For  many  , many years  ,  and  countless  times , I  have  seen many differant people do that ,  and all  the time while they were doing  it   ,  those updated  little  computor printout  slips  ( with  All  the winning numbers on them )  ,  would  be  laying right  there by  their  fingertips  on  the  counter ,  within  easy  reach

A   good  question ............ that  I  have  no  answer  for

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2014, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Thats  a   Good   question    Shelby

For  many  , many years  ,  and  countless  times , I  have  seen many differant people do that ,  and all  the time while they were doing  it   ,  those updated  little  computor printout  slips  ( with  All  the winning numbers on them )  ,  would  be  laying right  there by  their  fingertips  on  the  counter ,  within  easy  reach

A   good  question ............ that  I  have  no  answer  for

Thanks Blue, yeah that's even another way they could have it checked without having to turn it over to someone else

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7314 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2014, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

We have to hand our winning tickets to a clerk to validate so they can pay us the winnings and instructions to sign the tickets are clearly printed on the back of the tickets. 

"So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?"

With the number of ways to check tickets, nobody should be just handing over their tickets to anyone without signing the back. There are many stories about players being cheated, but if a player didn't know they were cheated, someone told them. There are also clerks that will take advantage of the ignorant players we read about, but aren't they really taking advantage of players too lazy and/or too ignorant to check the real value of their winning tickets?

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4878 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2014, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

They are most likely not regular players that are just checking their jackpot tickets. These players may not know all the ways

to check and are going for the convenience of the scanners. As for regular players doing it... No Nod

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2014, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I depend on the clerks for an offical verification only, I check my tickets before cashing them by high lighting all the winning numbers in pink.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #149820
                December 9, 2013
                644 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2014, 7:51 am - IP Logged

We have to hand our winning tickets to a clerk to validate so they can pay us the winnings and instructions to sign the tickets are clearly printed on the back of the tickets. 

"So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?"

With the number of ways to check tickets, nobody should be just handing over their tickets to anyone without signing the back. There are many stories about players being cheated, but if a player didn't know they were cheated, someone told them. There are also clerks that will take advantage of the ignorant players we read about, but aren't they really taking advantage of players too lazy and/or too ignorant to check the real value of their winning tickets?

I have never had the fortune to go to lottery headquarters to pick up winnings, and Ive never signed the back of my tickets when cashing them in at the plain ol store, I just tell them what I think I won and then they confirm it, here in NC they wont cash anything over $600 anyways and you better pick a busy store so you know they even have it on hand if it is that much

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7314 Posts
                  Posted: April 8, 2014, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I have never had the fortune to go to lottery headquarters to pick up winnings, and Ive never signed the back of my tickets when cashing them in at the plain ol store, I just tell them what I think I won and then they confirm it, here in NC they wont cash anything over $600 anyways and you better pick a busy store so you know they even have it on hand if it is that much

I don't usually sign the back of the ticket either and I know how much the tickets are worth except when I thought I matched 7 numbers playing Ohio Ten 'Oh game, but matched 8 and the clerk paid me the full amount. IMO, the worst thing a player can do is to tell the clerk what they think their tickets are worth because they are inviting a clerk to pay them that amount even if it's much more and pocket the difference.

If a player doesn't know their ticket is worth more than $600, they shouldn't be playing.

Gleno's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #80354
                    September 25, 2009
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2014, 10:19 am - IP Logged

Those folks that give their tickets to the store clerk to scan obviously are very trusting or have not heard of the 

pitfalls of that behavior. Cringe when I see that happening but it's  best to mind my own business. 

Smash

sflottolover's avatar - spherewall2
                      San Leandro, very near Oakland and San Francisco.
                      United States
                      Member #148590
                      November 5, 2013
                      98 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2014, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I think some of them may believe the other hands might be luckier than their own hands!

Thanks for your kindness to visit my posting; and left me your warmness for my slow chewing! 

Those who wants to win lottery is normal; and it is abnormal if anybody does not want to win!

http://www.writers-network.com/members/sfiawong

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: April 8, 2014, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

i often do it. the scanner will say " winner "  so i hand over the ticket. when it scans the monitor shows the player  the result. unless its over a major amount. I cant recall what it says in that case. the correct  thing for  tellers to do here is hand back   the losing ticket. and a reciept that says not a winner

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19871 Posts
                          Posted: April 8, 2014, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I see them doing it all the time mainly older man (farmer type) i doubt if they have a computer or even know how to turn one on lets hope they don't get taken advantage of Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: April 8, 2014, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I see them doing it all the time mainly older man (farmer type) i doubt if they have a computer or even know how to turn one on lets hope they don't get taken advantage of Smiley

Yeah but there are alot of ways you dont even need to use a computer or the net to check your tickets. Newspaper is one, getting a print out of the winning numbers, watching the drawing on t.v., heck even if you have Direct Tv they have an actual channel where you can check the winninng numbers

United States
                              Member #94616
                              July 24, 2010
                              4735 Posts
                              Posted: April 9, 2014, 4:50 am - IP Logged

Yeah but there are alot of ways you dont even need to use a computer or the net to check your tickets. Newspaper is one, getting a print out of the winning numbers, watching the drawing on t.v., heck even if you have Direct Tv they have an actual channel where you can check the winninng numbers

I agree, in NY they SHOW the winning numbers on a screen in stores.  Only issue is the TIME it takes to SEE the numbers.  It can take 2-5 min. of standing there waiting for the game you need the winner on to show as they only show for like 15-20 sec then change screens.  Often if I ask the clerk what the winning midday numbers ( prior to playing the eve numbers) , they give me YESTERDAYS numbers, as they have NO IDEA how to get the midday numbers Mad