Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do people STILL hand their draw tickets over to be scanned??

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2014, 6:51 am - IP Logged

Perhaps these folks cannot read English. l have yet to see a ticket checking machine giving a written response in any other language other than English. Others may not own computers or afford to go online to check if they winners.

Others may not own computers or afford to go online to check if they winners.

Most gas station counters have print-outs of the winning numbers, and if not you can ask for them. Though granted that may not work for multidraw, but I have a feeling those that aren't checking their tickets don't do multidraw.

I've always checked tickets before taking them to the store and even though they alert when there's a win and you can sometimes see the number on the screen, I still wouldn't trust the people scanning them. And that's despite how friendly I am with the cashiers, as I sometimes see them multiple times a day and it's always the same workers. You just don't know how someone might react to seeing a ticket worth tens of thousands or millions.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2014, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Along with a lot of other reasons mentioned here some people just want somebody else to do everything for them, so it's just another 'for me'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      917 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2014, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

There's got to be dozens of ways to check your own tickets to see if you win. So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?

Not everyone who plays the lottery is a sharp cookie! Some people cannot read well. Others might even be nearly blind. Others are so used to living paycheck to paycheck that they cannot believe their luck, and need someone else to validate it. And many are foolish enough to hand it over without signing the back.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1275 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2014, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Most gas station counters have print-outs of the winning numbers, and if not you can ask for them. Though granted that may not work for multidraw, but I have a feeling those that aren't checking their tickets don't do multidraw.

I've always checked tickets before taking them to the store and even though they alert when there's a win and you can sometimes see the number on the screen, I still wouldn't trust the people scanning them. And that's despite how friendly I am with the cashiers, as I sometimes see them multiple times a day and it's always the same workers. You just don't know how someone might react to seeing a ticket worth tens of thousands or millions.

"Most gas station counters have print-outs of the winning numbers..."

My internet was down one evening several years ago so I couldn't check my ticket;  I knew a nearby convenience store printed out copies of the winning numbers, so I went there and got one of the slips.  I got home, got sidetracked after sitting down at my computer desk and seeing the connection was back up and forgot about checking my ticket.  An hour or so later I remembered I hadn't checked yet, so I navigated to the lottery site and compared my ticket against the posted numbers....one right, then two....then three, four, five....and SIX!  I had won!  What a rush, the best feeling I've ever had in my life!

Then I saw I was checking the printed slip w/ the drawn numbers, NOT my lottery ticket.

Lemme tell ya, though, it sure feels good to win...or to think you won.  Not such a good feeling to realize you hadn't, though.

United States
          Member #124814
          March 20, 2012
          219 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2014, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

My internet was down one evening several years ago so I couldn't check my ticket;  I knew a nearby convenience store printed out copies of the winning numbers, so I went there and got one of the slips.  I got home, got sidetracked after sitting down at my computer desk and seeing the connection was back up and forgot about checking my ticket.  An hour or so later I remembered I hadn't checked yet, so I navigated to the lottery site and compared my ticket against the posted numbers....one right, then two....then three, four, five....and SIX!  I had won!  What a rush, the best feeling I've ever had in my life!

Then I saw I was checking the printed slip w/ the drawn numbers, NOT my lottery ticket.

Lemme tell ya, though, it sure feels good to win...or to think you won.  Not such a good feeling to realize you hadn't, though.

That's as bad as winning it in your dream, and then waking up only to realize you were dreaming. I feel you man.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4866 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2014, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

From ecstasy to agony in 10 seconds.  Thud

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2014, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Ouch. I'm sure that was one heck of a letdown. I'm sure the feeling was great while it lasted.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                Kunming
                China
                Member #57910
                January 23, 2008
                3626 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2014, 3:30 am - IP Logged

One word:LAZY!

Here in China, I see the same thing. People just hand over stacks of uncheck tickets and have the clerk check to see if they won. There are too many options for you to not first check the tickets yourself. Too many things can go wrong.

Play to win!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                  TX
                  United States
                  Member #121193
                  January 4, 2012
                  1637 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2014, 6:51 am - IP Logged

There's got to be dozens of ways to check your own tickets to see if you win. So why in the world are people still handing their draw tickets over to a stranger that could lie and take the ticket from them?

why ???  well..a few reasons come to mind....1) they have had the tickets in their vehicle/wallet/purse for awhile
                  they are at a store and the light bulb goes on...2)no interest in looking themselves....or 3) Just too darn lazy too look on line or ask the clerk for a print out of the winning numbers for the drawing and compare themselves...

While all are possibilities and I am sure there are more that I haven't considered........I am going with option #3

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2659 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2014, 7:18 am - IP Logged

can't afford computer/service or just not interested in computers

but thats what public access @ the library is for

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19792 Posts
                      Posted: April 10, 2014, 7:46 am - IP Logged

can't afford computer/service or just not interested in computers

but thats what public access @ the library is for

Surprised you knew thatGreen laugh 

Let it Snow Snowman

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11978 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2014, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

LAZY PEOPLE LOVE TO PLAY THE LOTTERY.LOL

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!