Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

people snapping up $30.00 scratch-off tickets??

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Shelby Mustang.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1534 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2014, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Hard to believe that people are snapping up $30.00 scratch-off tickets, or is this a lottey news story to get people to run out and  buy the expensive tickets?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22958 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2014, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Well..what state are you in? When the $30 ticket came out here in PA...they sold like hot cakes. I couldn't believe the

amount of people buying them AND buying MULTIPLES at that. It only takes 3 tickets like that to spend nearly $100!

That's downright insanity. (

What if you DON'T win? Do people keep on going back for more or do they quit while they're BEHIND???

At THIRTY DOLLARS A POP???

Makes me sick that the states supply a 1-800 number on the back of the ticket for problem gamblers.

They supply the 'drug' and the hotline all on one piece of paper. What a joke.

I had a clerk tell me that one guy bought 17 straight tickets for $30 and DIDN'T WIN A DA*MN DIME. She said he's the

owner of a local Dunkin' Doughnuts around here.....at that rate, he might not own anything except a bunch of losing tickets.

WOWOWOW.

I suspect PA might soon follow states like Texas and release a $50 ticket. I read here on LP that Ohio is thinking of it.

Sick, sick.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1534 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2014, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I'm surprised that they sold like hot cakes at that price. I would have to go and kill somebody if I bought 17 tickets and did  not win anything. ( I not too much into killing myself )

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2014, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

I don't even play $20 tickets.  I hear there are routinely gaps of 5 losing tickets or more with our $20 Scratchers.  I think the only time I might play is when I'm cashing in a moderate win and ask the clerk for one.

United States
          Member #149820
          December 9, 2013
          644 Posts
          Posted: April 29, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Hard to believe that people are snapping up $30.00 scratch-off tickets, or is this a lottey news story to get people to run out and  buy the expensive tickets?

Sometimes the best prizes are won when the high dollar tickets come out. That's how it is here. We had a $20 ticket that the main prize was 3 million, somebody hit it within the 1st 3 days

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1534 Posts
            Posted: April 29, 2014, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Are you saying there 5 or more losing tickets per pack? If so, that's why I try to play at stores that sell a lot of scratch-off tickets, and it is still no guarantee to win.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #149492
              December 2, 2013
              919 Posts
              Posted: April 29, 2014, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Are you saying there 5 or more losing tickets per pack? If so, that's why I try to play at stores that sell a lot of scratch-off tickets, and it is still no guarantee to win.

No, there are more losing tickets than that in our pack of 30 ($20 game).  I meant 5 losers in a row.  In the Florida scratch forum, people were posting 10-15 straight $20 losing tickets. That's totally insane.  $200-300 with no wins at all.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: April 29, 2014, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Well..what state are you in? When the $30 ticket came out here in PA...they sold like hot cakes. I couldn't believe the

amount of people buying them AND buying MULTIPLES at that. It only takes 3 tickets like that to spend nearly $100!

That's downright insanity. (

What if you DON'T win? Do people keep on going back for more or do they quit while they're BEHIND???

At THIRTY DOLLARS A POP???

Makes me sick that the states supply a 1-800 number on the back of the ticket for problem gamblers.

They supply the 'drug' and the hotline all on one piece of paper. What a joke.

I had a clerk tell me that one guy bought 17 straight tickets for $30 and DIDN'T WIN A DA*MN DIME. She said he's the

owner of a local Dunkin' Doughnuts around here.....at that rate, he might not own anything except a bunch of losing tickets.

WOWOWOW.

I suspect PA might soon follow states like Texas and release a $50 ticket. I read here on LP that Ohio is thinking of it.

Sick, sick.

"Well..what state are you in?"

It appears he isn't taking questions, dr65.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1534 Posts
                  Posted: April 29, 2014, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Arizona

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22958 Posts
                    Posted: April 29, 2014, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

"Well..what state are you in?"

It appears he isn't taking questions, dr65.

I see that rdgrnr and if I was thin-skinned I'd be an emotional wreck. They've got do not call lists and in cases like these I

adopt something similar: Do not care list. If it's too much to spell out the state name, 2 keystrokes would suffice...PA, CT,

OH, FL etc. but if that's even too much then I guess that's grounds for the Do not care list.

Kinda makes me wonder sometimes if the reason some people don't respond is they may have been someone else in another

life/post.

Blue Thinking

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: April 29, 2014, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

The only "limit" is on the number of winners per pack. The lottery's internal documents actually stipulate that there will be "no more than X winners" per pack. So a pack of 125 may have no more than 30 or so winners, for example. That leaves 95 tickets to be losers. It varies game to game but is usually quite similiar at identical price points. Naturally, the more tickets in a pack, the more likely you will encounter a streak of X losers (depending on the odds).

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                        Member #145267
                        August 1, 2013
                        1534 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2014, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

That's good to hear LottoMetro. I'm still going to play scratch-off alittle more than I have been playing Pb and Mm.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: April 29, 2014, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I think the lottery knows there are people who are like heroine addicts, just itching to scratch those darn cards no matter how expensive they are. It's only a matter of time before Texas drops a $100 scratch ticket.  I think it's great though. These high rollers keep the lottery from changing the matrix of games that I like such as Cash 5 games and Lotto 6/49 or increasing their price.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                            Member #145267
                            August 1, 2013
                            1534 Posts
                            Posted: April 29, 2014, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

You might be right about the addicts willing to buy the expensive tickets. I hope I never turn into an addict , or I might be and just don't know it yet.

United States
                              Member #125918
                              March 31, 2012
                              362 Posts
                              Posted: April 29, 2014, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Well Richard Lustig says in his book about scratchers... If you buy 10 tickets of the same game in a row you will get 1or 3 winning tickets out of that 10 ticket scratchers... Put the money back into the same scratcher game and get 10 more tickets and you might hit the big winner so Richard says. Well i don't buy scratchers here in WA State and i think it is rigged..