Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

people snapping up $30.00 scratch-off tickets??

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Shelby Mustang.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1492 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2014, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it is rigged, unless they know where the big jackpot ticket is going.  But I think when a new game comes out, the big jackpot ticket may not be released until later.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    643 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2014, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Well Richard Lustig says in his book about scratchers... If you buy 10 tickets of the same game in a row you will get 1or 3 winning tickets out of that 10 ticket scratchers... Put the money back into the same scratcher game and get 10 more tickets and you might hit the big winner so Richard says. Well i don't buy scratchers here in WA State and i think it is rigged..

Yeah I call crap on that theory. I had bought 3 $10 tickets back in Feb. won a $100 on one nothing on the other 2. So I took the hundo and bought 10 $10 scratchers same game, same store...you know how much I won? Not...one....thin.....dime. Yeah there is no rhyme nor reason to buy tickets, it's just random

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2014, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I call crap on that theory. I had bought 3 $10 tickets back in Feb. won a $100 on one nothing on the other 2. So I took the hundo and bought 10 $10 scratchers same game, same store...you know how much I won? Not...one....thin.....dime. Yeah there is no rhyme nor reason to buy tickets, it's just random

Does your state have minimums for the pack prizes? $100 on a $10 game could fulfill a chunk of that and would explain why you didn't win on any other tickets from the same game. If I win a prize higher than any that would fulfill the guarantee then I usually won't play the pack anymore. Like I mentioned earlier, there are only so many winners per pack. It's very possible to hit the biggest prizes in the first few tickets and the rest of the pack be duds.

As far as Lustig's idea, basically it suffers from gambler's ruin. You are more likely to lose than win, so using wins to get more wins doesn't really work.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        643 Posts
        Posted: April 30, 2014, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Does your state have minimums for the pack prizes? $100 on a $10 game could fulfill a chunk of that and would explain why you didn't win on any other tickets from the same game. If I win a prize higher than any that would fulfill the guarantee then I usually won't play the pack anymore. Like I mentioned earlier, there are only so many winners per pack. It's very possible to hit the biggest prizes in the first few tickets and the rest of the pack be duds.

As far as Lustig's idea, basically it suffers from gambler's ruin. You are more likely to lose than win, so using wins to get more wins doesn't really work.

They probably do. I never even checked, its too many variables in that though and would spend more time thinking on it than playing if I went that particular route. I just try to keep of with how many top prizes had been won and just go off that, also when new tickets come out as well