Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Now accepting Bitcoin payments

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Gleno.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4974 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2014, 6:59 am - IP Logged

Bitcoin is not without its risks and scandals. I've been following the Mt. Gox Bitcoin scam/scandal/hack/etc and this illustrates one problem for Bitcoin.

From the wiki:

"Mt. Gox was a Bitcoin exchange based in Tokyo, Japan. It was launched in July 2010, and by 2013 was handling 70% of all Bitcoin transactions. In February 2014, the Mt. Gox company suspended trading, closed its website and exchange service, and filed for a form of bankruptcy protection from creditors called minji saisei, or civil rehabilitation, to allow courts to seek a buyer. In April 2014, the company began liquidation proceedings. It announced that around 850,000 bitcoins belonging to customers and the company were missing and likely stolen, an amount valued at more than $450 million at the time. Although 200,000 bitcoins have since been "found", the reason(s) for the disappearance�theft, fraud, mismanagement, or a combination of these�are unclear as of March 2014. There has been some speculation of hackers being responsible for the missing Bitcoins, but no case has been proven..."

Forbes also had an interesting article on the Mt. Gox collapse a couple of months ago.

Now this is how to cite properly to other sources!

J'aime La France.

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4974 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2014, 7:13 am - IP Logged

The mechanics behind digital currency appear complicated, but the major problem facing it is easy to understand. What would keep you from using it more than once? Assuming your digital currency was placed in your digital wallet, why couldn't you send it out to multiple people at the same time? With traditional currency there is a physical exchange, and unless you have exceptional resources that allow you to counterfeit, you can only use it once until you earn it back.

Even her apparent "questions" and "analysis"  are lifted word for word from elsewhere. This is from investopedia.com.

J'aime La France.

Gleno's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #80354
      September 25, 2009
      705 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2014, 8:31 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd , Artist77, and Marilyn for the reading sources. It's good to cite our reference sources and believe Marilyn was providing an explanation to us folks out of the know on things Bitcoin . Thought we are  writing or publishing facts for general knowledge and exchange of ideas. Would not be so hard in the criticism department. 

Coffee

Gleno's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #80354
        September 25, 2009
        705 Posts
        Posted: May 17, 2014, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Thanks Mypie for the reading source. Looks like a must read. 

Smile

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4974 Posts
          Posted: May 17, 2014, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd , Artist77, and Marilyn for the reading sources. It's good to cite our reference sources and believe Marilyn was providing an explanation to us folks out of the know on things Bitcoin . Thought we are  writing or publishing facts for general knowledge and exchange of ideas. Would not be so hard in the criticism department. 

Coffee

Thanks Gleno , no worries. I only wanted to clarify that she was simply doing a word for word cut and paste over and over from other sites versus others who appear to have an understanding of the issue, like Todd. I am all for idea exchange but there was no original content in what she was presenting and it did not stem from any first hand general knowledge. I think red flags occur with some of us when we see this all the time in multiple areas of "knowledge." Why mislead anyone and fail to at least use quotation marks?

J'aime La France.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
            USA
            United States
            Member #152799
            February 25, 2014
            1095 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2014, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Even her apparent "questions" and "analysis"  are lifted word for word from elsewhere. This is from investopedia.com.

Lol! no kidding. Perhaps you should change your name to "Detective77". Wink

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4974 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2014, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Lol! no kidding. Perhaps you should change your name to "Detective77". Wink

Thanks. Wish I could add Ms. to my artist name though so people don't assume I am a guy.

A lot of people were onto her cut and pastes before me.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2014, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I always thought bitcoins were quarters.

When I was a kid my old man used to throw me a quarter and say: "Here's two bits, go get me a pack o' Herbert Tareyton's.

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4974 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2014, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

I always thought bitcoins were quarters.

When I was a kid my old man used to throw me a quarter and say: "Here's two bits, go get me a pack o' Herbert Tareyton's.

lol

J'aime La France.

London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #140684
                    March 24, 2013
                    566 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2014, 3:39 am - IP Logged

Ah Todd, fellow Bitcoiner!

I've been interested in Bitcoin for a while, glad to see LotteryPost now accepting it! 

I see you're using BitPay (they recently raised 30M in investments) so exciting times ahead!

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23352 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2014, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

An industry update for people wanting to learn more about Bitcoin and its impact.  Here's the latest huge company to officially accept Bitcoin for payment:

Dish Network to Accept Bitcoin Payments for Pay-TV Service

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Igamble's avatar - spider
                        nj
                        United States
                        Member #145657
                        August 10, 2013
                        1000 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2014, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Thank you for info Chief !i checked out that site and seems that are more cryptocurrencies coming into the market..is very intersitng what exactly determines their price !  i see that site sells one bitcoin for 568"fedcoins "   if i remembr corectly..it used to b that you can also buy small increments of bitcoin too ..definetly soemthingto reseach when i am not decrypting the lotto games Hiding Behind Computer ...

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23352 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2014, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Thank you for info Chief !i checked out that site and seems that are more cryptocurrencies coming into the market..is very intersitng what exactly determines their price !  i see that site sells one bitcoin for 568"fedcoins "   if i remembr corectly..it used to b that you can also buy small increments of bitcoin too ..definetly soemthingto reseach when i am not decrypting the lotto games Hiding Behind Computer ...

The 2 most popular are Bitcoin and Litecoin.  Think of them like Gold and Silver.  There are dozens of others, with varying amounts of popularity and potential for any kind of success.  Bitcoin is the most successful, and the one with the most potential for future success.

I'm not sure what Fedcoins are, but I assume you mean "dollars".    The current value of one Bitcoin is around $567.  The value fluctuates, but it has been above $500 for months, and as high as $1,200 per Bitcoin last year.  You can buy as small as an increment as you like -- it is not necessary to buy a full Bitcoin.

Igamble's avatar - spider
                            nj
                            United States
                            Member #145657
                            August 10, 2013
                            1000 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2014, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Thanks !  amazing that bitcoin is worth more then others right now...i know i missed the boat when one ounce of gold was 150bucks,i should invest in bitcoin asap.Yes a fedcoin is a dollar,i am mostly thinking of the gold looking 1dollar coin they issue since that is an actual coin..

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23352 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2014, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Thanks !  amazing that bitcoin is worth more then others right now...i know i missed the boat when one ounce of gold was 150bucks,i should invest in bitcoin asap.Yes a fedcoin is a dollar,i am mostly thinking of the gold looking 1dollar coin they issue since that is an actual coin..

It's an exciting time for Bitcoin.  I really hope it continues to grow in popularity, because it is a wonderful idea that makes it easy to spend money either in person or over the Internet, and cuts out banks and other financial institutions just like paying someone in cash.  The only thing holding it back are governments that want to CONTROL the money supply and their citizens.  Bitcoin represents freedom and privacy.