Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Florida Jackpot Game

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 2 years ago by DisplacedLurker.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Sum Buddy's avatar - AVATAR1 zps193xol4h.jpg

United States
Member #129928
July 1, 2012
90 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

From the Florida Lottery website:

“With the ending of MEGA MONEYTM, the Florida Lottery is excited to announce that we will add a new jackpot game to our portfolio, which will launch on July 2, with the first drawing held on July 4, 2014.”

As far as I can tell by the gross sales graph in the 2011-2012 Florida Lottery annual report, Mega Money sales peaked in 2007. According to the graph, Mega Money and Florida Lotto both started losing market share in 2009 when Powerball became available in Florida.

So what have they got cooked up? It would be foolhardy to try to 'out-jackpot' Powerball and Mega Millions. I personally would love a jackpot game with better odds than Fantasy 5. If they are going to go that route, my bet is that they ruin it with a $2 ticket price.

So what would you like to see? What do you think will actually be offered? Wild speculation and unfounded rumors welcome!

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Whatever they end up offering, I think it will be a $2 game.  It's been an unfortunate trend lately as states add new draw games to their portfolios.

Maybe it might be a game that provides more "perceived" value by providing more lines per dollar like Missouri's new $250K Triple Play but with a larger jackpot that rolls with higher odds.

United States
      Member #129928
      July 1, 2012
      90 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Yikes! That 250k Triple Play is a Frankenstein of a game; part self-pick, part RNG, distressingly high odds, and $2 per play. Not a game I would play.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2014, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I always wonder why they have to double the price for new games.

What's wrong with a game costing $1.25 or $1.50 or $1.75?

United States
          Member #134289
          October 24, 2012
          4 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2014, 1:10 am - IP Logged

I have a feeling that the new game is going to be very similar to Mega Money. I think this change is being made largely because of confusion with Mega Millions. If it wasn't for Mega Millions, the new game might have very well kept the Mega Money name. Just a hunch, we'll see if it's right.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3102 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2014, 7:00 am - IP Logged

I'd like to see an evenly divisble game size like 6/36 or 6/42 or 5/25 or 5/30. 

What are the odds of that?

BobP

United States
              Member #129928
              July 1, 2012
              90 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I always wonder why they have to double the price for new games.

What's wrong with a game costing $1.25 or $1.50 or $1.75?

Cash 3 and Play 4 are offered at $.50 plays, so there's no reason they couldn't offer that on a jackpot game. And I'm not talking about a $1.50 play, I'm talking about an actual $.50 play option on a jackpot game. But to make that price point work, they would have to design a game that would generate the sales volume and frequency of play that would support the pricing. Which, in my opinion, would hinge on the balance of odds vs. payout. The greatest power a player has is in the choice to play, or not to play, any particular game. I'm looking for decent odds for a modest but attractive payout (and before anyone asks, Pick 3 and Pick 4 games seem to totally elude me. I'm not sure why, but that type of matrix fries my circuits.)

I guess what I'm interested in is a hybrid (not Frankenstein!) game, a cross between jackpot games, and daily games. One thing that irks me is that in the Fantasy 5 prize pool, approximately 60% of the prize pool goes to the 5 of 5 winner(s), 30% to the 3 of 5 winners, and 10% to the 4 of 5 winners. The middle gets squeezed again, thanks for playing!

So here's the game I would play: Draw game, $.50 or $1 play option. (The following payouts are based on the assertion on the Florida Lottery website that for every dollar spent on lottery products, 61% is used for prizes, so the prize pool of these games is 60% of total pool. And also the assumption is that the prize pool is split 50/50 between 4 of 4 winners, and 3 of 4 winners.) Payout is parimutuel, actual payouts would vary.

Matrix                   4 of 4 Odds/$1 Payout                          3 of 4 Odds/$1 Payout

4/26                            1/14,950  $4,485                                           1/169  $50

4/25*                          1/12,775  $3,832                                           1/151  $45

4/24                            1/10,600  $3,180                                           1/133  $39

(4/24 is evenly divisible.)

*4/26 are the published odds for the now-defunct Arizona Cash 4, 4/24 are the published odds for the Washington Match 4, 4/25 splits the difference, odds may be slightly off.

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2014, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

So Mega Rip-off is now going to be named something else?

Green laugh

Hey people, waste your money on this new spin. It still has unimaginable odds that one must tackle, but pay no mind, that's not really important. Facts keep getting in the way of my precious dreams. lol

Maybe they'll call it Smegma Money.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2014, 12:54 am - IP Logged

So Mega Rip-off is now going to be named something else?

Green laugh

Hey people, waste your money on this new spin. It still has unimaginable odds that one must tackle, but pay no mind, that's not really important. Facts keep getting in the way of my precious dreams. lol

Maybe they'll call it Smegma Money.

Yea it's just like Patel and Ahmed getting busted. They go and change the store name and start selling lotto again.

United States
                    Member #134289
                    October 24, 2012
                    4 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2014, 2:49 am - IP Logged

Cash 3 and Play 4 are offered at $.50 plays, so there's no reason they couldn't offer that on a jackpot game. And I'm not talking about a $1.50 play, I'm talking about an actual $.50 play option on a jackpot game. But to make that price point work, they would have to design a game that would generate the sales volume and frequency of play that would support the pricing. Which, in my opinion, would hinge on the balance of odds vs. payout. The greatest power a player has is in the choice to play, or not to play, any particular game. I'm looking for decent odds for a modest but attractive payout (and before anyone asks, Pick 3 and Pick 4 games seem to totally elude me. I'm not sure why, but that type of matrix fries my circuits.)

I guess what I'm interested in is a hybrid (not Frankenstein!) game, a cross between jackpot games, and daily games. One thing that irks me is that in the Fantasy 5 prize pool, approximately 60% of the prize pool goes to the 5 of 5 winner(s), 30% to the 3 of 5 winners, and 10% to the 4 of 5 winners. The middle gets squeezed again, thanks for playing!

So here's the game I would play: Draw game, $.50 or $1 play option. (The following payouts are based on the assertion on the Florida Lottery website that for every dollar spent on lottery products, 61% is used for prizes, so the prize pool of these games is 60% of total pool. And also the assumption is that the prize pool is split 50/50 between 4 of 4 winners, and 3 of 4 winners.) Payout is parimutuel, actual payouts would vary.

Matrix                   4 of 4 Odds/$1 Payout                          3 of 4 Odds/$1 Payout

4/26                            1/14,950  $4,485                                           1/169  $50

4/25*                          1/12,775  $3,832                                           1/151  $45

4/24                            1/10,600  $3,180                                           1/133  $39

(4/24 is evenly divisible.)

*4/26 are the published odds for the now-defunct Arizona Cash 4, 4/24 are the published odds for the Washington Match 4, 4/25 splits the difference, odds may be slightly off.

I love those 4-number lotto games (or game in the singular tense, as Washington state's is the only one left). However, this is going to be a twice-weekly game as one can deduce from the FAQ on the FL Lottery website, I highly doubt that's what's coming here. It's a shame, really; but maybe some other good concept will come about.

BTW, nothing for 2 out of 4? I know that would dilute the other prizes, but shouldn't there at least be a free ticket for 2?

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                      San Angelo, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #1097
                      January 31, 2003
                      1394 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I think it's obvious that Monopoly Millionaires Club (5/52+1/28) $5 game is the new jackpot game for Florida.
                      Texas is joining, as are other PB/MM states.
                      Some new and fancy words are being used to make the game appear to be different from existing standard games, but
                      you win by correctly choosing 5 numbers and the extra or bonus number.
                      Of course, players will have to pay $5 for a chance to win.
                      The only major differences is that the jackpot will be capped at $50 million, and there will be additional  winning opportunities.
                      I believe some kind of TV show is in the works to dramatize the game and attract more players.
                      Full game details will probably be posted later.
                      Texas officials will describe the game at their June 23 commission meeting.
                      It's possible that some states will reject the game, or have to eliminate an existing game, as Florida is doing.
                      Face it folks, playing the lottery is fast becoming an expensive proposition.

jeeps1's avatar - disney26

United States
                        Member #47
                        December 11, 2001
                        236 Posts
                        Posted: June 19, 2014, 11:07 am - IP Logged

I'm guessing its going to be like Hot Lotto with it starting out at $1 Million dropping the power no less then 22 with an extra $.That's what I'm thinking.

United States
                          Member #134289
                          October 24, 2012
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: June 19, 2014, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Mega Money isn't making way for that. That would mean MMC would be starting July 2nd (as of this writing, less than two weeks away).

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                            San Angelo, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #1097
                            January 31, 2003
                            1394 Posts
                            Posted: June 20, 2014, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Mega Money isn't making way for that. That would mean MMC would be starting July 2nd (as of this writing, less than two weeks away).

I agree that the new game is NOT the $5 Monopoly Millionaires Club.
                            July 2 is too early.
                            Texas is announcing the game on Monday. Actual implementation is probably months away.

Guess Florida is about get a new pick 4 game.

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #123021
                              February 12, 2012
                              29 Posts
                              Posted: June 21, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Hey Floridians! Check out your local Publix and make yourselves toward the automatic ticket dispensers. At the top there is an ad for a new game to replace Mega Money with "Lucky Money" with an EZMatch option (probably combining the names of the defunct Lucky Lines and soon to be extinct Mega Money). I didn't see any other details than that. I wonder if this game will be a combination of Fantasy Five and Mega Money.