Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Sad Would You Be?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2014, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I have a set of regular Powerball numbers that I always play.  Have been for over 20 years.

So today I start looking thru the drawer where I keep my lottery tickets and find a replacement ticket (to replace my multiple draw ticket for my regular numbers when I matched the PB a while back) which was only good for ONE draw.  I thought it was a mistake till I pawed through all my old expired tickets only to verify that my regular numbers had expired FIVE draws ago!

My computer crashed about a month ago, and my reminder system went with it.  I forgot to put that particular reminder onto my new computer.

So I was sitting here thinking about what would have happened if those numbers had come up in the last 2 and a half weeks.  First I'd have been ecstatic and celebrating.  Yay, I'm rich!  I honestly can't bear to imagine the dismay I'd have felt once I realized I had failed to buy a new ticket, and that I hadn't won after all.  I may have been suicidal.

What about you?  Would you be all c'est la vie / kumbaya?  Or would you be gnashing your teeth and suicidal?

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2014, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

I have a set of regular Powerball numbers that I always play.  Have been for over 20 years.

So today I start looking thru the drawer where I keep my lottery tickets and find a replacement ticket (to replace my multiple draw ticket for my regular numbers when I matched the PB a while back) which was only good for ONE draw.  I thought it was a mistake till I pawed through all my old expired tickets only to verify that my regular numbers had expired FIVE draws ago!

My computer crashed about a month ago, and my reminder system went with it.  I forgot to put that particular reminder onto my new computer.

So I was sitting here thinking about what would have happened if those numbers had come up in the last 2 and a half weeks.  First I'd have been ecstatic and celebrating.  Yay, I'm rich!  I honestly can't bear to imagine the dismay I'd have felt once I realized I had failed to buy a new ticket, and that I hadn't won after all.  I may have been suicidal.

What about you?  Would you be all c'est la vie / kumbaya?  Or would you be gnashing your teeth and suicidal?

If I play I check my numbers the very next day just so I will never have one of those moments LOL

Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2014, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

If I play I check my numbers the very next day just so I will never have one of those moments LOL

The thing is, I know these numbers by heart so I don't have to find the ticket to check them.  That's how it went expired for so long.

United States
        Member #152758
        February 24, 2014
        327 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2014, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

your  story  is  confusing   i  dont  understand  it  at   all  what  u  are  telling  us,  it  seems   like   jibber   jabber talk

Marana AZ
          United States
          Member #145341
          August 3, 2013
          179 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2014, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

This is a very well-written and clear comment, HoLeeKau. If your hypothetical happened to me, I would be kicking myself for years afterwards. As I do for the few times when I woulda, shoulda, coulda been a winner if I had followed through.

Freedom777's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
            Virginia
            United States
            Member #133410
            September 29, 2012
            163 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2014, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

It's frustrating when I play a Pick 3 or Pick 4, and then it comes out one day after I stopped playing it.

I can't imagine not winning on PowerBall numbers I had played for 20 years. That would be a hard pill to swallow for the rest of my life.

$$ provides more freedom, options and choices.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4954 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2014, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

your  story  is  confusing   i  dont  understand  it  at   all  what  u  are  telling  us,  it  seems   like   jibber   jabber talk

The story made 100% sense.  Maybe you need to sign up for Reading is Fundamental classes.

J'aime La France.

SammyJoe10's avatar - disney37
                Middle of Nowhere NC
                United States
                Member #151289
                January 12, 2014
                428 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2014, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

I'd be devastated. I couldn't imagine playing for over twenty years and then having MY numbers come up having not purchased a ticket. I wouldn't be suicidal--just very traumatized! Bang Head

twaltenb's avatar - yocco
                  Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #154163
                  April 6, 2014
                  217 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2014, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Do you automatically play the lottery numbers in advance? I am curious as to what you meant by they "expired"?  I would be devastated if this happened to me. I get upset if  a cold number I have been eying comes out and I didn't play it.

-Creating my own luck today!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1203 Posts
                    Posted: June 26, 2014, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I saw something similar on a show called Urban Legends. A guy had one set of numbers he played religiously, one day he was in a rush and didn't bother to buy the ticket, and that was the night his numbers came up. The wife thought they were rich and started celebrating but then he had to break it to her that for the first time in years, he hadn't bought a ticket. They had a blow out and he shot himself. Didn't finish watching so don't know if this particular UL was real or made up. Some are, some aren't. 

Shooting is too messy for my taste, but had this happened to me I probably would have had (and be entitled to) a mini nervous breakdown.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1131 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2014, 12:59 am - IP Logged

The fear of this occurring is what drives people to play every draw....afraid of "missing out."

I've actually had this happen to me....didn't play numbers and then they came up. Yeah, I was mad at myself for a day or so but I got over it. My combination is and was just as likely to show up as any other. So to get upset because the combination I played before just so happened to show up in a draw I didn't play is counterproductive. It would be like playing a combination and then finding out that it came out in a draw before you ever even started playing the lottery. There's no limitation on whether a combination will show up or not. It is unlikely to repeat in larger games, but then again it is unlikely to ever show up anyway. The same can be said about literally every combination in the matrix. What if instead of playing your numbers you played another set and those won? I could go on but getting worked up about stuff like just takes the fun out of playing. All you can do is play the game and hope you get lucky, regardless of how you play.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: June 26, 2014, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Do you automatically play the lottery numbers in advance? I am curious as to what you meant by they "expired"?  I would be devastated if this happened to me. I get upset if  a cold number I have been eying comes out and I didn't play it.

Yes, I play the max advance draws in my state, which is 10.  So that I don't forget to play them.  LOL  My reminder program is supposed to tell me to replace my ticket ever 5 weeks.  I can't believe I forgot to put that reminder back in after the crash, it's like the most important thing in my life.

Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: June 26, 2014, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I saw something similar on a show called Urban Legends. A guy had one set of numbers he played religiously, one day he was in a rush and didn't bother to buy the ticket, and that was the night his numbers came up. The wife thought they were rich and started celebrating but then he had to break it to her that for the first time in years, he hadn't bought a ticket. They had a blow out and he shot himself. Didn't finish watching so don't know if this particular UL was real or made up. Some are, some aren't. 

Shooting is too messy for my taste, but had this happened to me I probably would have had (and be entitled to) a mini nervous breakdown.

I vaguely remember a story something like that.  I think it's true!

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #150797
                            December 31, 2013
                            821 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2014, 8:29 am - IP Logged

Yes, indeed!  Ion Saliu tells the story that when he first came to the states he used to crank out lottery numbers using his program that he would then play with a group of co-workers.  This was back in the day when computers were so slow that they would take hours to grind through the program.  Anyway, one evening he was too tired to go out and buy the tickets, and ...guess what?... the winning combination was on the list!

Guess he probably had to get another job after that one, or at least sit all by himself during work breaks!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              41992 Posts
                              Posted: June 26, 2014, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Yikes, I am sorry to hear that.

HyperBe Happy.