Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it a scam by a lottery to end the game when half of the top prize still available?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Romancandle.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New York
United States
Member #156870
July 2, 2014
80 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2014, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

The NY lottery retires games that have half of top prizes available, but majority of non winning tickets sold. If you check the Lottery's website top prizes page, you will see that they retired many games that had many top prizes left. Examples are $10 Three Million scratch ticket as well as $5 dollar Happy mother's day tickets, etc.

Do you think it is a scam?

Texas
    United States
    Member #154148
    April 5, 2014
    91 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

The NY lottery retires games that have half of top prizes available, but majority of non winning tickets sold. If you check the Lottery's website top prizes page, you will see that they retired many games that had many top prizes left. Examples are $10 Three Million scratch ticket as well as $5 dollar Happy mother's day tickets, etc.

I think so, I been saying it all along.  There is a game here is TX that still have 8 out of 10 JP remaining that is being closed out.  They just want to max their profits by retiring old and coming out new.  Also, they don't have to pay out the top prizes because the outstanding tickets are getting low.  They also purposely don't put out the old games to retailers so they can't be bought.

United States
      Member #147165
      September 24, 2013
      507 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2014, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

The California Lottery has recently ended a $10 game with 1/2 the prizes available and even a $5 game with 3/4 the top prizes available.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
        upstate NY
        United States
        Member #108791
        March 31, 2011
        549 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2014, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Of course a MOTHER'S DAY game would only last a short amount of time, just like any holiday-themed game.  Hit With Stick

Indeed, I think you'll find that most, if not all, scratchers sunset on a schedule and not simply at the whims of the Lottery.  If a game does end early, it's probably because all of the top prizes were already claimed.

Igamble's avatar - spider
          nj
          United States
          Member #145657
          August 10, 2013
          975 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2014, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

i think it is a ROBBERY in your face..WHY -THEY MADE their profit many times over by s3lling th3 losing tickets qnd now decided to stop it when they can see that the winning tickets will b soon found.so instead of having to pay the big prizes th3y just say -well game is cancell3d due to this or that...th3y may call this legal but my instinct calls it legal robbery of responsible players money.

New York
            United States
            Member #156870
            July 2, 2014
            80 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2014, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Of course a MOTHER'S DAY game would only last a short amount of time, just like any holiday-themed game.  Hit With Stick

Indeed, I think you'll find that most, if not all, scratchers sunset on a schedule and not simply at the whims of the Lottery.  If a game does end early, it's probably because all of the top prizes were already claimed.

How about Three Million $10 dollar scratch game that had 2 out of 4 top prizes available and almost none 2nd prizes which means that losing tickets were almost sold and they have decided not to give out the top prizes?

Did you know that only ONE person claimed the TOP prize of the Happy Mothers scratch game when there were 6 top prizes available?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3157 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2014, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I had a few machines break and when opened they all had new stacks of tickets laying in the bottom. Started thinking how can they sell winners if the tickets don't reach the public. Got me so mad i rarely play anymore. This is probably why they cancel the games.

upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2014, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

How about Three Million $10 dollar scratch game that had 2 out of 4 top prizes available and almost none 2nd prizes which means that losing tickets were almost sold and they have decided not to give out the top prizes?

Did you know that only ONE person claimed the TOP prize of the Happy Mothers scratch game when there were 6 top prizes available?

The "Three Million" scratch-off game launched on June 4, 2013.  (Source)  According to the End of Game Schedule (note that word Schedule!), the "cash-in" deadline is June 23, 2015.  I don't know how long they give you after a game ends to redeem your winners, but since you're acting like the game ended and it's no longer listed under the current games on the NY Lottery website, I think we can assume the game ended on either June 4 of this year (one year after launch) or June 23 (a little over a year after launch and one year to redeem).  That seems like a reasonable amount of time to run one scratch-off game.

Again, I think you'll find that most of these games end on a schedule and not just when the Lottery feels like it.  If there are still top prizes available, that's the fault of the lottery-playing public for not buying enough tickets.  Is it your opinion that there should not be an end-of-game schedule and that the Lottery should keep every game on sale until all of the top prizes have been sold?

upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2014, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I had a few machines break and when opened they all had new stacks of tickets laying in the bottom. Started thinking how can they sell winners if the tickets don't reach the public. Got me so mad i rarely play anymore. This is probably why they cancel the games.

The bottom of the machines sounds like a good place to store the next batch of tickets.  When it's time to refill a specific game, instead of going into the back room to fetch more tickets, all the clerk has to do is grab the appropriate stack from right in front of him.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was an intentional design of the machines rather than a happy accident.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2014, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

The bottom of the machines sounds like a good place to store the next batch of tickets.  When it's time to refill a specific game, instead of going into the back room to fetch more tickets, all the clerk has to do is grab the appropriate stack from right in front of him.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was an intentional design of the machines rather than a happy accident.

It is intentional. Last year I had a machine run out of paper and they opened it up; at the bottom is where they kept all the ticket paper and a box with new books of scratch-offs. I have seen some snack/soda vendors do the same thing with vending machines.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

New York
                      United States
                      Member #157288
                      July 14, 2014
                      170 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2014, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Between the current cash for life promo that never seems to give free tickets and NY Lottery taking its winners atlas away I'm beginning to think they are crooked. I've stopped playing NY Lottery games as much. I'd rather play when if go to Jersey or CT.

United States
                        Member #157567
                        July 23, 2014
                        2 Posts
                        Posted: July 23, 2014, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Is it that the top prizes are "available" or just "unclaimed"? I haven't played a scratch off in over 25 years... but just started playing again.. lol Been asking some questions from the local dealers and they claim the lottery will shut down a game and buy back remaining tixs if 95% of the big prizes are gone. The system knows when the prizes were sold.. (or close to it as there will be/could be prizes claimed on either side of it). .. they could be in some ones purse, glove box, there dresser, or in the trash Confused . .. I can't believe how many numbers I missed on winning & what I thought were non winners. I'd like to see them post how many prizes go unclaimed.

Texas
                          United States
                          Member #154148
                          April 5, 2014
                          91 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2014, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Is it that the top prizes are "available" or just "unclaimed"? I haven't played a scratch off in over 25 years... but just started playing again.. lol Been asking some questions from the local dealers and they claim the lottery will shut down a game and buy back remaining tixs if 95% of the big prizes are gone. The system knows when the prizes were sold.. (or close to it as there will be/could be prizes claimed on either side of it). .. they could be in some ones purse, glove box, there dresser, or in the trash Confused . .. I can't believe how many numbers I missed on winning & what I thought were non winners. I'd like to see them post how many prizes go unclaimed.

Closing out game for unclaimed prizes?  That would mean the lottery officials know where the top prizes are and they claimed that they don't.  All they are doing is flooding the market with new games every few weeks so it is harder for players to get the top prizes.  If they only have one game of each amount (eg. $1, $5, $10, $20, etc), the top prize would have been claimed in no time.  Also, lottery officials purposely don't bring out the old games and make retailers sell all the new ones.  So yes, I still considered it a scam.

New York
                            United States
                            Member #156870
                            July 2, 2014
                            80 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2014, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

NY Lottery retiring many $5 and $10 dollar games with HlALF of TOP prizes available! For example, Million Dollar numbers game and others I can't remember now

New York
                              United States
                              Member #157288
                              July 14, 2014
                              170 Posts
                              Posted: July 26, 2014, 9:38 am - IP Logged

And now they haven't updated the top prize PDF in two weeks. Something is definitely going on at the NY lottery and it isn't good.