Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Is A Tax On The Poor.

Topic closed. 66 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

CAN YOU AFFORD TO SPEND $5 EVERYDAY ON THE LOTTERY?

Yes [ 42 ]  [63.64%]
No [ 21 ]  [31.82%]
I do not play the lottery [ 3 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 66 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2014, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Spending money on lottery games is no different than choosing to drink beer or smoke cigarettes, you have to pay for your pleasures.

Yep. Playing the lottery is my hobby. I'd rather spend my money on the slim chance of winning something than drink or smoke.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2014, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I rather drink a cup of latte than to play Euromillions for €2.00 a combination.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4786 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2014, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Yep. Playing the lottery is my hobby. I'd rather spend my money on the slim chance of winning something than drink or smoke.

Me too!

J'aime La France.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
        Member #141034
        April 2, 2013
        1408 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2014, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Voluntary taxation.......?. Hmmmm, what an odd concept.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1648 Posts
          Posted: July 30, 2014, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

For the most part, anyone with decent job can afford to spend $5/day on a lottery game in my opinion. But, as far as I'm concerned, this isn't the real question to be asked...and this isn't to hi-jack the thread, honestly. The question is: Can a personafford to lose $5/day and not recover at least a portion of it after a full week (7) days without it being a financial burden somehow? Sure, it's a lotta fun to play but, let's also be realistic. If a person is spending the said amount daily and doesn't win anything that whole week and needs to fill up the car/truck, that $35 then becomes  big help...that's missed. Multiply this by two weeks of playing and losing....that's $70 smack-a-roos gone with nothing to show for it. Hell, at that point, at least that smoker got their nicotine fix pretty good, and, that drinker got their buzz on pretty dang good.

I suppose to each their own but, I just gotta have something to show for my dollars, and, I'd argue that a person would be better off saving that $5/day to implement that bankroll-style system which recently proved out with flying colors. I don't know, man...me and my silly ideas that are common sense-based are so out dated and worthless. I honestly believe that at the $5 level, a person might be better off with scratch-offs because $5/day ain't gonna do jack on Pick3/4...unless it's saved up and amounts to enough to play 20-25 combos for a chance to match pairs at some point and recover/make some $$. Is it better to be ahead by $10 at weeks end, or, down by $35 but happy to have had a chance to spend $5/day?

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm."Shocked

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7298 Posts
            Posted: July 31, 2014, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

For the most part, anyone with decent job can afford to spend $5/day on a lottery game in my opinion. But, as far as I'm concerned, this isn't the real question to be asked...and this isn't to hi-jack the thread, honestly. The question is: Can a personafford to lose $5/day and not recover at least a portion of it after a full week (7) days without it being a financial burden somehow? Sure, it's a lotta fun to play but, let's also be realistic. If a person is spending the said amount daily and doesn't win anything that whole week and needs to fill up the car/truck, that $35 then becomes  big help...that's missed. Multiply this by two weeks of playing and losing....that's $70 smack-a-roos gone with nothing to show for it. Hell, at that point, at least that smoker got their nicotine fix pretty good, and, that drinker got their buzz on pretty dang good.

I suppose to each their own but, I just gotta have something to show for my dollars, and, I'd argue that a person would be better off saving that $5/day to implement that bankroll-style system which recently proved out with flying colors. I don't know, man...me and my silly ideas that are common sense-based are so out dated and worthless. I honestly believe that at the $5 level, a person might be better off with scratch-offs because $5/day ain't gonna do jack on Pick3/4...unless it's saved up and amounts to enough to play 20-25 combos for a chance to match pairs at some point and recover/make some $$. Is it better to be ahead by $10 at weeks end, or, down by $35 but happy to have had a chance to spend $5/day?

L.L.

Unless someone has chased a pick-3 or pick-4 number, they don't understand how much it could cost to finally win something. With pick-3 if the $5 players are betting 50 cents straight on ten lines and average a win every 40 drawings, it will take 200 drawings just to win the $250 they started out playing for. Most seasoned players would probably use a progressive betting strategy, but the novice player will spend their winnings chasing a pick-5, lotto, or MM and PB jackpots because winning $250 once every 200 drawings is not enough. Especially when they read where a player bought one ticket and won over $100 million.

Maybe a follow-up question should be, "how much do you reasonably expect to win wagering $5 a day?".

Canada
              Member #153245
              March 10, 2014
              39 Posts
              Posted: July 31, 2014, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Lucky Loser i picked no and not that i couldn't spare the 5 a day, it's more the sustained loss everyday i think in the long run would make one go hmmmmm after a few months?

Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1648 Posts
                Posted: July 31, 2014, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Unless someone has chased a pick-3 or pick-4 number, they don't understand how much it could cost to finally win something. With pick-3 if the $5 players are betting 50 cents straight on ten lines and average a win every 40 drawings, it will take 200 drawings just to win the $250 they started out playing for. Most seasoned players would probably use a progressive betting strategy, but the novice player will spend their winnings chasing a pick-5, lotto, or MM and PB jackpots because winning $250 once every 200 drawings is not enough. Especially when they read where a player bought one ticket and won over $100 million.

Maybe a follow-up question should be, "how much do you reasonably expect to win wagering $5 a day?".

they don't understand how much it could cost to finally win something

My point(s) exactly, Stack, and it's always good to see you chime in on common sense. This sort of reasoning, for me, goes way back and prevails more today than ever it seems. 'Diminishing Returns' applies to both spending too much money and not spending enough money to balance wins, losses, and profits. Lots of combos are very efficient but, too many make it tough when a loss takes place. I refer to this as an 'upside down profit' and here's an example I experimented with. My cost was $150 @ .25/number which translates to (600) total combos. This was so efficient that it scared me and it worked well until I had to take a hit. It cost me too much to lose and here ae the numbers:

Cost: $150

Payout: $225

Profit: $75

Two wins netted a profit of $150 but, one loss wiped it all away due to the cost. Granted, I didn't lose very much at all but, I got away from it eventually. Same thing applies to playing too few combos where after playing "X" amount of combos for "X" amount of time and then needing a specific type of hit to cover what's been spent already. On a .50 play at even $5/day, they better pair hit by the 5th day just to break even...and that amount of combos prolly ain't gonna do it. Then, guess what? It's gonna take either a double pair hit, a box hit, or a straight hit to recover and then turn any kind of profit from that point on. Lots of folks here think I just like running my mouth but, I'm telling people the truth and my numbers will never lie. Most of all, it's all common sense just like with anything else I might discuss. Stack, I've learned that common sense is the enemy for so many people. Truth and common sense are one in the same. Good reply, man.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19754 Posts
                  Posted: July 31, 2014, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

L.L.

where can you fill your car/truck up for that $35.00

here it's like $115.00 LOL

Anyways i think i rather hold a number for more  $ than chase 38 numbers

i am getting better at them daily games each day Banana

Let it Snow Snowman

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1648 Posts
                    Posted: July 31, 2014, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Ha ha...you caught me there!! But, here's my second chance answer: you can fill a Smart car up anywhere for around $35 I believe. This is tabulated from when gas prices were a lot closer to $4/gal. also. Okay, you win...because the average person doesn't drive a Smart car!! Still, though, most small cars are very fuel efficient and can still be filled for under $50 easily. So, let's just extend those losses to (10) days at $5/day...now that's some gas money.

Becoming better is the name of the game, and, I still say this game is about proper balance of money and combos...efficiency. Can't go too long without a hit, or else...

At some point, maybe we can entertain those (38) numbers you mention but I'll cut it down to (30) for an experiment, okay.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11978 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2014, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

L.L.

I DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY.

I DID NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY TODAY.

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY.

OUR REGULAR LOTTERY PROGRAMMING.

1) Playing the lottery more often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket.

2) Playing the lottery less often for more tickets= Buying multiple lottery tickets.

3) Playing the lottery less often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket monthly or yearly.

4) Playing the lottery more often for more tickets= Spending more money= Gambling addiction.

THE RISK AVERSE LOTTERY PLAYER USES A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT TO MINIMIZE HIS OR HER LOSSES.

A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BE A SUCCESSFUL LOTTERY PLAYER OVER THE LONG TERM.

Texas
                        United States
                        Member #86154
                        January 30, 2010
                        1648 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2014, 11:08 am - IP Logged

I DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY.

I DID NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY TODAY.

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY.

OUR REGULAR LOTTERY PROGRAMMING.

1) Playing the lottery more often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket.

2) Playing the lottery less often for more tickets= Buying multiple lottery tickets.

3) Playing the lottery less often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket monthly or yearly.

4) Playing the lottery more often for more tickets= Spending more money= Gambling addiction.

THE RISK AVERSE LOTTERY PLAYER USES A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT TO MINIMIZE HIS OR HER LOSSES.

A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BE A SUCCESSFUL LOTTERY PLAYER OVER THE LONG TERM.

He he, I like your persistence with the control deal. Truth be told, Thrift, everyone needs that hope of maybe...just maybe hitting it pretty good one day and there's nothing wrong with it. Problem is, the states need to do more to show their appreciation than just creating new games with the same old odds and percentages of players winning. They can allow more people to win which, in turn, would cause so many more people to take notice and 'chances' on becoming winners, too. It all balances out in the end. But, you cannot have more winners than losers. I believe in education and technology but, I also believe that those who make this deal work should be rewarded better and more often.

Happy people spend more money in areas where they see they're benefiting and figure it's worth their while. Every single game out there is based on winners already factored in. For every 'X' amount of $1 dollar scratch-offs sold, the commissions know how many winners, how much money should be taken in, and what they made on that batch. This applies to all games. They have the power to adjust those numbers at will but greed has taken over mostly. They dangle the chance to hit millions at $2/line to players. Hell, what was wrong with $1? You can have half the amount of players at double the price and not miss a beat...that's what's wrong with $1.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7298 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2014, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

If you fill it up before the "you're almost out of gas" light goes on, it will much less.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5591 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2014, 8:49 am - IP Logged

He he, I like your persistence with the control deal. Truth be told, Thrift, everyone needs that hope of maybe...just maybe hitting it pretty good one day and there's nothing wrong with it. Problem is, the states need to do more to show their appreciation than just creating new games with the same old odds and percentages of players winning. They can allow more people to win which, in turn, would cause so many more people to take notice and 'chances' on becoming winners, too. It all balances out in the end. But, you cannot have more winners than losers. I believe in education and technology but, I also believe that those who make this deal work should be rewarded better and more often.

Happy people spend more money in areas where they see they're benefiting and figure it's worth their while. Every single game out there is based on winners already factored in. For every 'X' amount of $1 dollar scratch-offs sold, the commissions know how many winners, how much money should be taken in, and what they made on that batch. This applies to all games. They have the power to adjust those numbers at will but greed has taken over mostly. They dangle the chance to hit millions at $2/line to players. Hell, what was wrong with $1? You can have half the amount of players at double the price and not miss a beat...that's what's wrong with $1.

L.L.

I'm not too happy with $2 a tic. But I understand completely why they do it. They know they might sell fewer tics at $2, but still make more money in the end because it's.......$2 a tic. They simply need to increase revenue.

I think about the new prices, and the fact that TLC is trying to roll out new games every 6 months and wonder if they're biting off more than they can chew. They're flying right in the center of the radar and the Tx legislature is taking notice.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                              hotatlanta
                              United States
                              Member #70664
                              February 8, 2009
                              1446 Posts
                              Posted: August 9, 2014, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

A lot of poor people have won the lottery. I myself have won when I need the money. Rich people play to.

It not about rich are poor it about what you want to do why can't people understand that. I play and my husband doesn't.

He loves to help send the money when there is a hit are pay a bill.