Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Is A Tax On The Poor.

Topic closed. 66 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

CAN YOU AFFORD TO SPEND $5 EVERYDAY ON THE LOTTERY?

Yes [ 42 ]  [63.64%]
No [ 21 ]  [31.82%]
I do not play the lottery [ 3 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 66 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2014, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

A lot of poor people have won the lottery. I myself have won when I need the money. Rich people play to.

It not about rich are poor it about what you want to do why can't people understand that. I play and my husband doesn't.

He loves to help send the money when there is a hit are pay a bill.

I believe you're missing the OP's point. The rich don't care about the voluntary tax, they have expendable money. It's the poor and middle class who are getting Shanghaied by false dreams set forth by the witty and creative advertising campaigns. 

Think tanks are hard at work in suckering more victims into the virtually unreachable goal of winning a major JP in their lifetime. 

MrLeRoy's avatar - nw rogue.jpg

Canada
    Member #152924
    March 1, 2014
    129 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2014, 12:30 am - IP Logged

He he, I like your persistence with the control deal. Truth be told, Thrift, everyone needs that hope of maybe...just maybe hitting it pretty good one day and there's nothing wrong with it. Problem is, the states need to do more to show their appreciation than just creating new games with the same old odds and percentages of players winning. They can allow more people to win which, in turn, would cause so many more people to take notice and 'chances' on becoming winners, too. It all balances out in the end. But, you cannot have more winners than losers. I believe in education and technology but, I also believe that those who make this deal work should be rewarded better and more often.

Happy people spend more money in areas where they see they're benefiting and figure it's worth their while. Every single game out there is based on winners already factored in. For every 'X' amount of $1 dollar scratch-offs sold, the commissions know how many winners, how much money should be taken in, and what they made on that batch. This applies to all games. They have the power to adjust those numbers at will but greed has taken over mostly. They dangle the chance to hit millions at $2/line to players. Hell, what was wrong with $1? You can have half the amount of players at double the price and not miss a beat...that's what's wrong with $1.

L.L.

Lucky Loser knows what he's talking about ! Thumbs Up

lynki516's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #150771
      December 30, 2013
      241 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2014, 8:07 am - IP Logged

I don't play all the time- just every once in a while. I do enjoy Maddogs PB & MM challenges, they're fun. And, I enjoy figuring out what numbers to play on the predictions...

Big Grin Angel

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19743 Posts
        Posted: August 12, 2014, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Lucky Loser knows what he's talking about ! Thumbs Up

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

ThaJackpotkid's avatar - Lottery-067.jpg
          Johannesburg
          South Africa
          Member #155653
          May 25, 2014
          32 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2014, 8:26 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Lol, not neccesarily. Big Grin

"Playing the lottery may not make you win the life changing big sum you desire, but there is no happiness without at least trying." -Gambit Wink

Yeah remember that name, 'Gambit!' Cool

Regards
          Gambit

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19743 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2014, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY- IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Ohio Pick 5 Midday Thu, Aug 14, 2014  1-5-2-3-4   Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11975 Posts
              Posted: August 21, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

He he, I like your persistence with the control deal. Truth be told, Thrift, everyone needs that hope of maybe...just maybe hitting it pretty good one day and there's nothing wrong with it. Problem is, the states need to do more to show their appreciation than just creating new games with the same old odds and percentages of players winning. They can allow more people to win which, in turn, would cause so many more people to take notice and 'chances' on becoming winners, too. It all balances out in the end. But, you cannot have more winners than losers. I believe in education and technology but, I also believe that those who make this deal work should be rewarded better and more often.

Happy people spend more money in areas where they see they're benefiting and figure it's worth their while. Every single game out there is based on winners already factored in. For every 'X' amount of $1 dollar scratch-offs sold, the commissions know how many winners, how much money should be taken in, and what they made on that batch. This applies to all games. They have the power to adjust those numbers at will but greed has taken over mostly. They dangle the chance to hit millions at $2/line to players. Hell, what was wrong with $1? You can have half the amount of players at double the price and not miss a beat...that's what's wrong with $1.

L.L.

A lottery is a “Zero-sum game”. What one group of participants gains in cash, the other group of participants must lose. If we made a list of all the participants in a lottery, it might include:

1) Federal Government (Lottery winnings are taxable)
              2) State Governments (Again lottery winnings are taxable)
              3) State Governments (Direct share of lottery ticket sales)
              4) Merchants that sell tickets (Paid by the lottery organizers)
              5) Lottery companies (Hint: They are not doing all this for free)
              6) Advertisers and promoters (Paid by the lottery companies)
              7) Lottery ticket buyers (Buy lottery tickets and receive payouts)

The winners in the above list are:
              1) Federal Government
              2) State Government (Taxes)
              3) State Government (Direct share)
              4) Merchants that sell tickets
              5) Lottery companies
              6) Advertisers and promoters

And the losers are:
              (Mathematically challenged and proud of it). By Durango Bill