Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

7-11 clerk huge jerk while trying to buy scratch tickets!

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoStud123.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #157873
August 3, 2014
5 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2014, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I walked to 7-11 around 11 p.m. last night. I go in with 1$ in change and 4$ in winning scratch tickets planning to spend the 5$ in total on more scratch tickets. So I try to give the clerk 1$ in quarters for a dollar because the lottery machine doesn't accept change. He says no because he can't open the register. (I think that's what he said, whatever that means) This guy doesn't seem to speak very good English from the few times I have interacted with him. So then I leave and go outside to make a cell phone call. 5 min later I go back in and now try to give him the $4 worth of winning scratch tickets. He won't give me my money because he says it's after 5p.m. (I know most places won't give your money after midnight but I never heard of not giving it to you after 5p.m) The sole purpose of me walking to 7-11 was to buy lottery tickets but now since I can't do that because of the above reasons I decide to spend the dollar on a snack instead. I look up and down the aisles for anything that cost 1$ or less and as im looking around notice this guy keeps looking at me which made me feel awkward as I can tell he is not friendly. After I looked all throughout the store which took about 3 minutes tops I grabbed a pack of gum and went to the register and the guy angrily says something to the effect of "why am I looking around and going in and out of the store". I didn't even know what to say as It caught me off guard like what the hell? I didn't know looking around for something to buy was so out of the ordinary. And I only went in and out twice it's not like I did it 5+ times. I'm just venting because I thought he was ignorant and rude. Isn't he supposed to be trying to bring customers in instead of basically shooing them away? I don't know maybe he was paranoid I was going to rob him or steal? Maybe I look like that type? I don't know what his problem was but this is the 2nd time he was a jerk. Another time he told me while I was scratching tickets off inside that I had to go outside to do that. I know people who buy and scratch tickets in their car and go back in repeatedly to buy more as a strategy I wonder what this guy says to those people? Again, im just venting.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19752 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2014, 7:33 am - IP Logged

Welcome LottoStud123, Congrats on your Wins i hope you can cash them in soon Party

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2014, 8:27 am - IP Logged

You know I think I would just stop going there he obviously doesnt want your business, so stop trying to give it to him. As a consumer/customer we do not need to beg anyone for their goods and services there are plenty of fish in the sea so to speak

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2014, 9:21 am - IP Logged

If you really want to use that store, you could try complaining to the manager, or to corporate if it's a chain.  I've gotten good results by telling corporate about a problem.

Sometimes they don't respond to complaints.  That happened at the c-store closest to me, and now I walk to one further away.  Haven't stepped foot in the store with the problem clerk for over a year now.  Not worth the frustration.

kreative1's avatar - flower2
          NE PA
          United States
          Member #127838
          May 10, 2012
          1230 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2014, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Did anyone read what he actually wrote? lol

He might not look like a thief but he sure acted like one..

Late night..walked..wants change for coins..

They can't open drawer for change because a thief then reaches over and grabs money and runs out door

Then you walk aisles...walk outside..come back in..a thief does that to check if anyone is around..

How the cops weren't called on you is surprising to me...sorry..lol

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
            Member #71120
            February 19, 2009
            1209 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

If those people are running/owners I walk out period.I dont deal with it.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11924 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:01 am - IP Logged

They can't open drawer for change because a thief then reaches over and grabs money and runs out door

Then you walk aisles...walk outside..come back in..a thief does that to check if anyone is around..

I Agree! Gotta agree with Kreative1...Probably didn't call the cops cause one of his hands was under the counter  reaching for something....Let me guess,,,cool rainy weather,,,your walking so maybe you have a hoody on....I saw a woman try to run out of a corner store with the whole register once after she made the clerk turn around.  she got about 10 feet outside of the store before the clerk tackled her....this was at noon time...

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2657 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:48 am - IP Logged

You know I think I would just stop going there he obviously doesnt want your business, so stop trying to give it to him. As a consumer/customer we do not need to beg anyone for their goods and services there are plenty of fish in the sea so to speak

Agree with stupid

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5588 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:59 am - IP Logged

I Agree! Gotta agree with Kreative1...Probably didn't call the cops cause one of his hands was under the counter  reaching for something....Let me guess,,,cool rainy weather,,,your walking so maybe you have a hoody on....I saw a woman try to run out of a corner store with the whole register once after she made the clerk turn around.  she got about 10 feet outside of the store before the clerk tackled her....this was at noon time...

Put yourself in the clerk's shoes. You are working all alone in a store late at night. Guy walks in, want small change. Walks out, walks in, walks around the store (casing it out?). He had no idea what that guy's intentions were.

I guarantee if I were the clerk, I would be nervous and would have wanted him gone.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2657 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2014, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Put yourself in the clerk's shoes. You are working all alone in a store late at night. Guy walks in, want small change. Walks out, walks in, walks around the store (casing it out?). He had no idea what that guy's intentions were.

I guarantee if I were the clerk, I would be nervous and would have wanted him gone.

hence the reason these were invented ........

including thar more modern day cousins

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #129225
                      June 13, 2012
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2014, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I agree with this.  Late at night with such bizarre behavior I would have called the police on him.  I don't don't think you can blame this on the night clerk not wanting any business.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31343 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2014, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Simple solution - don't give them your business and report to lottery headquarters.

love to nibble those micey feet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19817 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2014, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I often wonder why some small stores bother to open during the night, the risks verse the rewards can't be worth it in every case.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7712 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2014, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I used to be a clerk in a liquor store selling lottery tickets and if you came in my store and did everything you said I would be calling the cops. Clerks are a suspicious lot for good reason. There is always someone trying to rip them off or hold them up. Once someone asked me for change and before I knew it, his hand was in the drawer reaching over the counter and lifting all of the $20's before he ran out the door. 

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7297 Posts
                              Posted: August 3, 2014, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I walked to 7-11 around 11 p.m. last night. I go in with 1$ in change and 4$ in winning scratch tickets planning to spend the 5$ in total on more scratch tickets. So I try to give the clerk 1$ in quarters for a dollar because the lottery machine doesn't accept change. He says no because he can't open the register. (I think that's what he said, whatever that means) This guy doesn't seem to speak very good English from the few times I have interacted with him. So then I leave and go outside to make a cell phone call. 5 min later I go back in and now try to give him the $4 worth of winning scratch tickets. He won't give me my money because he says it's after 5p.m. (I know most places won't give your money after midnight but I never heard of not giving it to you after 5p.m) The sole purpose of me walking to 7-11 was to buy lottery tickets but now since I can't do that because of the above reasons I decide to spend the dollar on a snack instead. I look up and down the aisles for anything that cost 1$ or less and as im looking around notice this guy keeps looking at me which made me feel awkward as I can tell he is not friendly. After I looked all throughout the store which took about 3 minutes tops I grabbed a pack of gum and went to the register and the guy angrily says something to the effect of "why am I looking around and going in and out of the store". I didn't even know what to say as It caught me off guard like what the hell? I didn't know looking around for something to buy was so out of the ordinary. And I only went in and out twice it's not like I did it 5+ times. I'm just venting because I thought he was ignorant and rude. Isn't he supposed to be trying to bring customers in instead of basically shooing them away? I don't know maybe he was paranoid I was going to rob him or steal? Maybe I look like that type? I don't know what his problem was but this is the 2nd time he was a jerk. Another time he told me while I was scratching tickets off inside that I had to go outside to do that. I know people who buy and scratch tickets in their car and go back in repeatedly to buy more as a strategy I wonder what this guy says to those people? Again, im just venting.

Last night I had a problem when I asked for a pick-3 number I played on hunch, $1 straight four times and a $1 box one time. The clerk handed me four 50 cent str/box tickets and when I explained four $1 straight on four separate tickets, he handed me a $6 super straight ticket. On the third try, the light bulb came on and he handed me exactly what I wanted. The problem could be a language barrier or simply the clerk was new and inexperienced with the lottery terminal. Sometimes experienced clerks will have a brain freeze and just can't get it right.

"5 min later I go back in and now try to give him the $4 worth of winning scratch tickets."

Why didn't you give him the $4 in winning scratch-offs the first time and simply put the four quarters on the counter and ask for a $5 to use in the vending machine?

Based on the entire story, it looks like that clerk is very skeptical about your behavior in that store and maybe the best advice is to go to another store.