Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

7-11 clerk huge jerk while trying to buy scratch tickets!

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoStud123.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
Member #141034
April 2, 2013
1408 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2014, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

We all know that some clerks can act ignorant, rude and jealous when they see you buying a lot of lottery tickets. In this case however, I think he might just be apprehensive due to the odd behavior of the customer. You are lucky he did not call the cops. Loitering is usually not allowed on those premises.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #157873
    August 3, 2014
    5 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

You all can't be serious. This 7-11 is open 24 hrs so I don't consider 11p.m that late under the circumstances. And would driving there really make me less suspicious? I wouldn't know but im pretty sure there are just as many robberies with people in cars as their are on foot. And asking for bills in exchange for change because the lottery machine doesn't accept change is not even remotely suspicious in my eyes. I even said that was the reason when I asked. Im sure people do it all the time. What if someone only has a 20$ bill and doesn't want to spend it all in the lottery machine? The person will go to the clerk and ask for 2 10$ bills instead because the machine doesn't give change. Also there was another person in the store with me both times debunking the theory I was waiting for the store to be empty. So since apparently everything is suspicious at 7-11 Im guessing if I hypothetically did the same exact thing at ShopRite that would be ok? As in going in twice and looking up and down the aisle's for 3 minutes?

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #157873
      August 3, 2014
      5 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Last night I had a problem when I asked for a pick-3 number I played on hunch, $1 straight four times and a $1 box one time. The clerk handed me four 50 cent str/box tickets and when I explained four $1 straight on four separate tickets, he handed me a $6 super straight ticket. On the third try, the light bulb came on and he handed me exactly what I wanted. The problem could be a language barrier or simply the clerk was new and inexperienced with the lottery terminal. Sometimes experienced clerks will have a brain freeze and just can't get it right.

"5 min later I go back in and now try to give him the $4 worth of winning scratch tickets."

Why didn't you give him the $4 in winning scratch-offs the first time and simply put the four quarters on the counter and ask for a $5 to use in the vending machine?

Based on the entire story, it looks like that clerk is very skeptical about your behavior in that store and maybe the best advice is to go to another store.

Your right I should have done it all 1st time but I didn't think it was a big deal. My cell phone rang and I went outside to talk then went back in. But since everything is apparently suspicious at small business at night, hypothetically  had I done the same exact thing at ShopRite would you still consider what I did very suspicious? ShopRite is open until Midnight.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5591 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2014, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

You all can't be serious. This 7-11 is open 24 hrs so I don't consider 11p.m that late under the circumstances. And would driving there really make me less suspicious? I wouldn't know but im pretty sure there are just as many robberies with people in cars as their are on foot. And asking for bills in exchange for change because the lottery machine doesn't accept change is not even remotely suspicious in my eyes. I even said that was the reason when I asked. Im sure people do it all the time. What if someone only has a 20$ bill and doesn't want to spend it all in the lottery machine? The person will go to the clerk and ask for 2 10$ bills instead because the machine doesn't give change. Also there was another person in the store with me both times debunking the theory I was waiting for the store to be empty. So since apparently everything is suspicious at 7-11 Im guessing if I hypothetically did the same exact thing at ShopRite that would be ok? As in going in twice and looking up and down the aisle's for 3 minutes?

You didn't mention there being anyone else in the store in your original post. Just the same, from the clerk's point of view, he doesn't really know your intentions. He probably didn't care if you walked or drove. 

Anyway, you know what not to do next time.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #157873
          August 3, 2014
          5 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2014, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I used to be a clerk in a liquor store selling lottery tickets and if you came in my store and did everything you said I would be calling the cops. Clerks are a suspicious lot for good reason. There is always someone trying to rip them off or hold them up. Once someone asked me for change and before I knew it, his hand was in the drawer reaching over the counter and lifting all of the $20's before he ran out the door. 

Well I guess my suspicion of him acting this way because he was paranoid of being robbed were right. I wasn't sure though. I was not aware small businesses were always getting held up like you said and I thought it barely happened to be quite honest.  I still think having the cops called on me as you and some other people have said is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I did nothing wrong. I went in and asked for change for the lottery machine (completely reasonable) and he said no. I went outside after my phone rang, then went back in and tried to give him winning scratch offs and he said he can't after 5p.m (which was a lie I think) and I bought a pack of gum and left. And im not trying to sound racist but I never had this problem with an American before. I think foreigner store clerks are more paranoid then Americans.