Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where is your favorite spots for purchasing lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Scratch$.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4145 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2014, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Personally I will go out of my way " to avoid"  gas stations and Supermarkets. I would like to see the Mom & Pops stores cash in on the windfall should my numbers come through. The M&P stores are a dying breed, they are been put out of business by the ginormous stores , so here's one for the little guys out there.

• Have a Great Weekend People and never forget...
  • Those people who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2014, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Mom and Pops are great until you go to one and the person in front of you want to talk to Mom or Pop like no one else is in the store buying anything. I like it when I pull up anywhere to buy lotto tickets and there is no one else in the store.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
      Upacreek
      United States
      Member #136306
      December 8, 2012
      431 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2014, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

I try to hit up the Mom and Pops too for that reason... much rather seem them get the prize cut.

Hard to find em these days though... mega businesses have gobbled them up.

-RC

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4145 Posts
        Posted: August 29, 2014, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Mom and Pops are great until you go to one and the person in front of you want to talk to Mom or Pop like no one else is in the store buying anything. I like it when I pull up anywhere to buy lotto tickets and there is no one else in the store.

If no one else is in the store on every occasion you want to visit a M&P's  to buy lottery tickets, I seriously  doubt they will stay in business- you making my point Shelby.

Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4145 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2014, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I try to hit up the Mom and Pops too for that reason... much rather seem them get the prize cut.

Hard to find em these days though... mega businesses have gobbled them up.

Exactly Romancandle- we had a $400 mil lottery winner purchase the sole ticket at a subway that sits opposite a gas station. Come to find out that the owner of the subway also owns the gas station, he got a cool million for selling the ticket and the owner's response to the press asking what he planned to do with the million was " open another gas station" which would be his "5th".

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Personally I will go out of my way " to avoid"  gas stations and Supermarkets. I would like to see the Mom & Pops stores cash in on the windfall should my numbers come through. The M&P stores are a dying breed, they are been put out of business by the ginormous stores , so here's one for the little guys out there.

• Have a Great Weekend People and never forget...
            • Those people who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Green laugh

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10391 Posts
              Posted: August 29, 2014, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Good to try and patronize the ten or twelve Mom 7 Pop's left in the country, but I try to go anywhere I know the clerks play lotto, too, it eliminates some hassles.

One example, the Illinois Lucky Day Lotto playslips now have an option, Midday, Evening, or Both.......but the machines just do not take Both. It's a lot easier when you get a clerk that says they'll run two slips or punch the numbers in than one that says, "It just won' take the slip."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1131 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2014, 12:00 am - IP Logged

99% of the time I get mine from the grocery store. It has a nice quiet corner with machines where I can stand and scratch or pick numbers. The clerk at the gas station I visit is always nosy about my lotto purchases LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: August 30, 2014, 12:47 am - IP Logged

At places that have welcoming clerks. I've been to some that just stare daggers at you and look like they couldn't care less about being there or doing their job. I'd rather go somewhere, be it mom and pop or a part of some mega-corporation, where the clerk is friendly and happy and doesn't look like they hate you.

Typically it's the most convenient place near the house, but I also do like the occasional stop at a new store just to switch things up.

United States
                    Member #140884
                    March 29, 2013
                    45 Posts
                    Posted: August 30, 2014, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I play all over but I always make sure to buy a ticket if I happen to be in a  location I've never been to before, either by chance or plan.  For instance I was at a wedding last week in an area new to me and before we got on the highway to go back home, I stopped and bought some tickets.

Also, how many people always buy your tickets from the same store.  I often do but just out of convenience. I don't have to get my tickets at one particular place.  I do know a lot of player, though, who insist on buying their tickets at the same store they been patronizing for years.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                      Pittsburg, Ks
                      United States
                      Member #3382
                      January 17, 2004
                      83115 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2014, 10:28 am - IP Logged

My favorite place is D****N's. The clerks help out if I have made a mistake on the playslip. If they see it they will fix it

God Bless America

US Flag

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                        TX
                        United States
                        Member #121193
                        January 4, 2012
                        1637 Posts
                        Posted: August 30, 2014, 10:43 am - IP Logged

I am voting for the smaller stores as well......once in awhile if I am at a supermarket I buy one on a whim....I always try to recall the clerks name, so when the big day happens, I will be able go back and give them a large envelope stuffed full  of 20s,50s & 100s.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10391 Posts
                          Posted: August 30, 2014, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

This is very common for Illinois:

Lucky Day Lotto Midday Prize Payouts LUCKY DAY LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR MIDDAY SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2014

WINNING NUMBERS: 06 - 22 - 28 - 34 - 39

PLAYERS MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS 1 EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE $900,000.00

WINNING TICKETS WERE SOLD AT 100476 METROMART NEWSSTAND (QP)
                          900 N MICHIGAN CHICAGO/60611 -

See more at: http://www.illinoislottery.com/en-us/Lucky_Day_Lotto.html#tabs-numbers

You don't see grocery stores too often but you do see liquor stores, convenience stores, etc...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: August 30, 2014, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I don't really have a favorite place. I just buy tickets at wherever is convenient. I tend to buy them when I am doing grocery shopping so I tend to buy them at grocery stores.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              42062 Posts
                              Posted: August 30, 2014, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Mostly the corner store, or Gas station

HyperBe Happy.