Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Theyre both up there...Wouldnt it be cool if someone hit both??

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1203 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2014, 11:04 am - IP Logged

LOL Teddi. Yeah I was think just claim the MM for myself then I would just let my brother and sisters claim the PB themselves I would even write my name on that ticket, then their taxes and whomever they wanted to give the money to i.e their kids and grandkids, in-laws and such would be entirely up to them. They could come to me saying I didnt give them anything LOL. BTW I like the domestic violence charity idea that would be a great cause to donate to.

I'm thinking that that will only work if you all came up with the exact same story that would explain away the fact that you bought the ticket but all the siblings except for you get to share it. That's going to seem really suspicious to the IRS. I think your best bet to stay out of trouble is to split it with them but take your share too. You can always give away your share (up to $5.2 million) and not be penalized. Donate the rest to charities or set up trusts. Win-win.

DV is a cause that means a lot to me so that's why I want to set up and manage a NPO that will assist victims with relocation, job placement, housing, transportation, education, food, clothing and childcare.

My best friend was murdered by her husband who'd never once hit her. She hadn't taken his verbal threats that he would never let her leave him seriously enough. When volunteering some years back, I met a 7 yr old boy who (along with his mother and sisters) was set on fire because his stepfather had had an argument with his mother. He was the only one who survived, but had no ears, nose or fingers afterwards. I also got to know a woman who fled from her husband when she was 39 weeks. She'd been followed across 2 cities so in the end fled the state in the middle of the night with nothing other than what she was wearing.

So many victims with stories that would curl your toes and not enough resources...or mismanaged resources. I have to do this and I will do this. There's a charity/shelter here that provides assistance to the Atlanta-metro areas, and while I can't prove that some of the employees are stealing from the donations, I know enough that I wouldn't give them a penny. Donations of food and clothes, maybe. Monetary donations, never. And that's why I'd need to actually manage a DV foundation and just donate, to ensure the victims who need help actually get it.

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2014, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Someone in California will pull this off I think.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      23238 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2014, 11:10 am - IP Logged

No it wouldn't be cool. It would be a sensational news story but I don't think a lot of people would view it as
      cool. The odds of such a thing would be so ridiculously high, lots of people would be screaming fix and swearing
      off playing...until the next big one anyway.
      Spread the wealth, no one needs $100 Million or dual jackpots.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1409 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2014, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

499 million for both PB and MM.  A few years ago, back when I first found USA Mega and LP, I went through the state's lotteries and added them all up - I don't remember what the total was, but it was a staggering figure. 

Just the other day I was looking up an actor on a new favorite TV show to see what else he had been in and as I was typing his name in, "net worth" came up.  I went to the website and saw what his supposed net worth was and then looked around a little bit at other Hollywood celebs.   Funny, but quite a few actors were right at $390 million - Tom Hanks, DiNiro, several others.  I don't know how the website could know anyone's financial worth...I think they probably just pulled those numbers out of thin air.  Maybe the actors/musicians salaries/record sales can be calculated, but they surely can't know their investment incomes and expenses.  (Unless it's someone like Nick Cage who has declared bankruptcy)

499 million bucks - that's almost incomprehensible.  I know what I'd do if I won a million dollars, know what I'd do with ten million, THINK I know what I'd do with a hundred million, but over that?  Sheesh.   Would be a nice problem to have though, huh?

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
         - George Orwell

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1095 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2014, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

No it wouldn't be cool. It would be a sensational news story but I don't think a lot of people would view it as
          cool. The odds of such a thing would be so ridiculously high, lots of people would be screaming fix and swearing

I agree. it would be nice if either jackpot got split 2 or 3 ways but spreading the wealth among a few hundred winners would defeat the premise of a life changing dream retirement. I am sure many here would like to see the MM jackpot split 500 ways thereby netting each participant $200k each after taxes but I am greedy and prefer to settle with 2 or 3 other lucky winners.

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1203 Posts
            Posted: November 5, 2014, 8:32 am - IP Logged

For people with your belief system, they've invented a MUSL game just for you that does nothing but dole out smaller jackpots. I don't get why then you're still raining on the large jackpot parade. You have a "spread the wealth" lottery game, you have state lotteries that have smaller jackpots, how does it negatively affect you if one person wins a large jackpot from games designed to have one person win a large jackpot. It has no impact on you either way so let it be. And let the good times roll.

Besides that, Why should anybody's conspiracy theories about the lottery affect someone else's good fortune. People already scream fix so boo boo to them. Double win =doubly lucky/doubly blessed. Since you can't make a law making it illegal for an adult to only play one game, you can't outlaw the ability to win more than one jackpot.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #104962
              January 23, 2011
              1075 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2014, 8:56 am - IP Logged

NO! It wouldn't be cool...Since more then likely it would end up california or new york winning it.  And the person that mentioned spreading the wealth, it is all about spreading everyone elses money to these broke states with tons of people on government programs.  We just have to wait to see what the PB goes to new york or california, california or new york, what is it going to be.

Trump 2016!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2680 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2014, 9:06 am - IP Logged

SkepticalI beg to differ,no one person nore smallish group of people may need that kind of money

but surely its the kind of win we'd all like to have for our own at one time or other

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1203 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2014, 9:16 am - IP Logged

NO! It wouldn't be cool...Since more then likely it would end up california or new york winning it.  And the person that mentioned spreading the wealth, it is all about spreading everyone elses money to these broke states with tons of people on government programs.  We just have to wait to see what the PB goes to new york or california, california or new york, what is it going to be.

I wonder what you'd do with yourself if the double winner wasn't from CA, NY, NJ or FL. I mean if the huge winner was from Kentucky or Georgia or Illinois or Massachusetts or Washington or Arizona, what would you do? Would you then say that the new winning state was in on the scam or that CA was just letting them win to take the heat off of them. It's usually one or the other, isn't it? 

It's never that there isn't a scam, just that the scam changed. A few years ago I heard the exact same theory about Michigan. Remember Millionaires Row and those oh so lucky gas stations on it? Now it's California. In a couple years it will be some other state, and on and on it goes.

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1203 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2014, 9:35 am - IP Logged

SkepticalI beg to differ,no one person nore smallish group of people may need that kind of money

but surely its the kind of win we'd all like to have for our own at one time or other

Amen. I Agree! totally.

It literally cracks me up when someone uses the argument you don't NEED $X millions. Of course you don't. You can go through your entire life not even coming close to having millions, much less needing it, but history and common sense have taught us that we don't NEED 90% of the stuff we have in our lives. We don't NEED a cell phone. We don't NEED WiFi or central air or washing machines or even indoor plumbing. We've adapted to want those things because they make our lives a lot easier or a lot more comfortable.

No one needs $100M, $90M or even $10M but if you WANT a life changing amount to FOREVER improve the ease and comfort of your life and those around you, and/or to bankroll a cause that means a lot to you, then roll baby roll.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #121961
                      January 21, 2012
                      3159 Posts
                      Posted: November 5, 2014, 10:12 am - IP Logged

No, but i could see the same State pulling this off.

United States
                        Member #106134
                        February 13, 2011
                        806 Posts
                        Posted: November 5, 2014, 11:30 am - IP Logged

What would be the odds of winning both in the same time period?  Maybe 1 in 999 quadrillion?

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: November 5, 2014, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I wonder what you'd do with yourself if the double winner wasn't from CA, NY, NJ or FL. I mean if the huge winner was from Kentucky or Georgia or Illinois or Massachusetts or Washington or Arizona, what would you do? Would you then say that the new winning state was in on the scam or that CA was just letting them win to take the heat off of them. It's usually one or the other, isn't it? 

It's never that there isn't a scam, just that the scam changed. A few years ago I heard the exact same theory about Michigan. Remember Millionaires Row and those oh so lucky gas stations on it? Now it's California. In a couple years it will be some other state, and on and on it goes.

"what would you do?"

They'd be completely oblivious to it, just as they are with all the winners that have already been sold in other states, and continue to whine because they are, and always will be, a loser.