Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's the HARDEST you've ever seen anyone play?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Rman313.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Left Coast
United States
Member #122298
January 28, 2012
125 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2014, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Me? $39 QPs when a $300M MegaMillions draw was on my 39th birthday. Never again.

(I won nothing.)

Might have been an urban legend, but I remember in the '90s in California, there was a huge SuperLotto or 6/49 drawing and someone in the Central Valley near Fresno took out a mortgage on their home to the tune of $50,000 to buy 50k tickets. Fortunately, they did not win. That would have set a terrible precedent.

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #59855
    March 29, 2008
    31541 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2014, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I spent $300 one Christmas on a roll of $10 scratch cards as a gift to myself & ended up getting half from it...$150...I said I will never do that again & I haven't.  I had seen a couple of people do that and won $1000 on one of the cards & dumb me thought maybe I could do it.

There's a man who goes in a BP station which I sometimes go to and he buys around $600 or more every Monday for the week...he left the receipt on the counter & the clerk gave it to me since I didn't believe it and I posted a picture of it on the NC thread quite a while back...she said he sometimes wins big & sometimes he doesn't win anything in all of those tickets...he buys a lot of the same number different ways.

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #59855
      March 29, 2008
      31541 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2014, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Bought my $5 worth of Mega Millions tickets today & someone at the other register asked for $2,000 worth of MM tickets.  Now that's playing HARD!

I bet it took the clerk a long time to run them...the man I just posted about who buys $600 & over each Monday...the clerk told me it takes quite a while to run them.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3051 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2014, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

About 13 years ago I spent $400 on powerball for a $300+ million jackpot and only won back $100 because I did not powerplay my tickets.  Never again did I do that just once and never again.-weshar75

US Flag

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
          Winning makes me smile.
          bel air maryland
          United States
          Member #90251
          April 24, 2010
          4872 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2014, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Back in the late 80's- early 90's the PB was up to 80 or 100 Million, which was quite high at the time. Long story short, a bunch of us at work chipped in and I had to drive up to PA. to get the tix. I was on line at the Case And Keg in Stewartstown  from 7:30 am to almost 2:30 pm for 80 tickets and they had two machines running. People were buying hundreds and thousands at a time. The line was twice as long when I left as it was when I got there. We didn't win a thing...

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2014, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Not sure of the monetary amount but before Primm opened on the NV -CA border there was a railroad stop called Nipton. People from Vegas would go there to play lotto. There was a guy who worked at the Mirage and was a 'runner' for people who worked there and wanted to play.

He had a steno pad entirely filled up with numbers on each page, front and back.

I don't know if there still is but at the time there was a Nevada law that you could only bring a limited number of lottery tickets back to Nevada (applied to Nevada residents only).

Well one day the guy didn't show up anymore and the people who ran the lottery outlet told us that Nevada Gaming Control people caught him playing a huge number of tickets and told him to go back to Nevada right then and there or they'd arrest him. I don't know how they had any authority outside of Nevada.

A short while after that Primm opened which in itself was a neat trick because the California law at the time was to sell lotto you needed to be in business 5 years at the same location. Primm was selling tickets the day they opened.

Before the states of Carolina had lotteries I remember reading about their citizens being arrested if they had lottery tickets when returning to the state.  It seems their bureaucrats were making up laws to prevent their citizens from playing lotteries in other states.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: November 4, 2014, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Bought my $5 worth of Mega Millions tickets today & someone at the other register asked for $2,000 worth of MM tickets.  Now that's playing HARD!

About 4 years ago, PB got into the over $200 million category, which was a huge deal back then. I bought $100 worth of tickets. I won about $20 back. Never again. 

Seems to me that the only person who's ever won the jackpot after buying a whole lot of tickets is Jack Whitaker. 

On one of those lottery shows, there was a doorman who was spending tens of thousands per year on tickets. He was unbelievably ticked off when the doorman across the street won after buying very few tickets (might have been one) and if I'm not mistaken, was also the first time he played. Talk about irony. I don't see how anyone can have a wife and kids and spend their yearly income on tickets.

United States
                Member #106134
                February 13, 2011
                806 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2014, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

That person who bought $2K worth of tickets probably has to be feeling pretty silly right now lol

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2014, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

About 4 years ago, PB got into the over $200 million category, which was a huge deal back then. I bought $100 worth of tickets. I won about $20 back. Never again. 

Seems to me that the only person who's ever won the jackpot after buying a whole lot of tickets is Jack Whitaker. 

On one of those lottery shows, there was a doorman who was spending tens of thousands per year on tickets. He was unbelievably ticked off when the doorman across the street won after buying very few tickets (might have been one) and if I'm not mistaken, was also the first time he played. Talk about irony. I don't see how anyone can have a wife and kids and spend their yearly income on tickets.

A few years ago a swimming pool salesman in Michigan claimed after buying a hot dog at a gas station with a $100 bill he took his change in MM/BG tickets and shared the jackpot with another winner in Illinois.  Players who spend that kind of money on lottery tickets usually don't talk about it even when they win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #160355
                    October 25, 2014
                    101 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2014, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I have a bad habit of buying tix in groups of 5. Mainly the cash 5 since in my opinion that is the only one worth playing (odds wise).

BUT a few years back I did buy $500 worth of the $20 raffle tickets. Not all at once. $20 here...$20 there..wanted to have several tix from the whole

spectrum. Needless to say I won absolutley nothing...LMAO.

If the monopoly million dollar raffle portion gets into the 80-100 winner range I will buy $100 worth. ($5 tix)...What the hell

parkerdog48's avatar - butterfly2
                      st.charles mo
                      United States
                      Member #160047
                      October 16, 2014
                      1657 Posts
                      Posted: November 6, 2014, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

every morning at a gas station by my house i see 2 different men one spends $100 every day on pick 3 playing 823 strait(yesterday our pick 3 # was 832) he lost and the other guy plays  $150-$200 every day on pick 3 last week he hit 2 times $4800 and $2600 but i see them both every day...

Rman313's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        Romulus,MI
                        United States
                        Member #142372
                        May 10, 2013
                        2342 Posts
                        Posted: November 7, 2014, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

every morning at a gas station by my house i see 2 different men one spends $100 every day on pick 3 playing 823 strait(yesterday our pick 3 # was 832) he lost and the other guy plays  $150-$200 every day on pick 3 last week he hit 2 times $4800 and $2600 but i see them both every day...

CrazyWow! Some people got it and some dont. I have a 2 co-workers who wins p3 every other day! One of them tells me to keep playing 923. He swears its going to hit again even though it hit twice Nov3rd. I guess I will keep playing it.

You can do anything if you put your mind into it. The sky is the limit! Cool