Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's The Clerk do with YOUR winning Ticket after you Cash it?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3685 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2014, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Ever notice what the clerk does with your twenty dollar winning ticket after you cash it?  Did they give it back to you, or did you think that they threw it in a garbage pail behind the counter?

If you didnt get it back, maybe they threw it in the garbage, and maybe they didn't.

Recently I learned that in one local convenience store that I frequent to buy lottery tickets, there's a cardboard box under the counter, and all low tier winning tickets cashed in that store end up in that box. 

The story behind this goes like this;  The store owner had a friend or relative that won a $40,000 prize.  In order to reduce the amount of income taxes that the friend/relative would need to pay, losing tickets are needed to prove other gambling losses. (Remember, there were probably a few losing lines on that winning ticket) Also, it's said that the store owner retreives any losing tickets from all of the trash cans both inside and outside of the store.  It's only rumour, but it's also said that the friend/relative who won the $40,0000, won it years ago, so there is no need now to prove gambling losses.  So now days, the tickets that end up in the cardboard box are sold to anyone who might need to offset a medium sized lottery win...

I didn't believe any of this until I saw with my own two eyes the cardboard box under the counter in that very store, chock full of scratched off scratch offs and online game tickets.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

noahwill's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Melbourne
    Australia
    Member #160219
    October 22, 2014
    42 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2014, 8:52 am - IP Logged

Interesting...I'm going to pay attention next time to what the clerk does

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2014, 9:28 am - IP Logged

here the new  system prints winner on it and hands it back to you with the cash prize. or no win printed on it, the machine prints onto the ticket and you get it back!

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19727 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2014, 9:30 am - IP Logged

They ask me if i want them back and i say no then they rip them up, i always copy my winning tickets  Hurray!

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19727 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2014, 9:33 am - IP Logged

here the new  system prints winner on it and hands it back to you with the cash prize. or no win printed on it, the machine prints onto the ticket and you get it back!

That's awesome the US needs to get it together

Let it Snow Snowman

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2014, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Ohio has a system that allows clerks to run a winning ticket through the terminal and it will print paid on it but store managers tell me it takes too long so they'd rather their clerks just scam them and if they're winners pay the customers and dispose of the tickets so they won't try cashing them again.  The store where I buy my tickets will return my winning tickets if I ask for them. 

The Lottery website suggest winning tickets be kept by the retailer after they are paid so the clerk returning my tickets is a courtesy of that retailer which is why I buy my tickets there.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3850 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2014, 10:30 am - IP Logged

I know that at the race track people used to pick up losing tickets from the floor to show loses.

That's great, but remember this, if you ever get audited those losers better not have shoe prints on them. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                Member #125185
                March 26, 2012
                75 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2014, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Ever notice what the clerk does with your twenty dollar winning ticket after you cash it?  Did they give it back to you, or did you think that they threw it in a garbage pail behind the counter?

If you didnt get it back, maybe they threw it in the garbage, and maybe they didn't.

Recently I learned that in one local convenience store that I frequent to buy lottery tickets, there's a cardboard box under the counter, and all low tier winning tickets cashed in that store end up in that box. 

The story behind this goes like this;  The store owner had a friend or relative that won a $40,000 prize.  In order to reduce the amount of income taxes that the friend/relative would need to pay, losing tickets are needed to prove other gambling losses. (Remember, there were probably a few losing lines on that winning ticket) Also, it's said that the store owner retreives any losing tickets from all of the trash cans both inside and outside of the store.  It's only rumour, but it's also said that the friend/relative who won the $40,0000, won it years ago, so there is no need now to prove gambling losses.  So now days, the tickets that end up in the cardboard box are sold to anyone who might need to offset a medium sized lottery win...

I didn't believe any of this until I saw with my own two eyes the cardboard box under the counter in that very store, chock full of scratched off scratch offs and online game tickets.

Shoo' Now, I hurd e'erthing.

Can't peoples just be honest? Why dey go do dat stuf fo'?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2014, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Shoo' Now, I hurd e'erthing.

Can't peoples just be honest? Why dey go do dat stuf fo'?

Unless a player wins more than his standard allowable deduction on his taxes, he's never going to need any losing tickets and if he wins a jackpot he not going to bother trying to claim a few losing lottery tickets.

Evil Looking       

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3685 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2014, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I know that at the race track people used to pick up losing tickets from the floor to show loses.

That's great, but remember this, if you ever get audited those losers better not have shoe prints on them. LOL

I'm OK with that.  Whomever purposely dropped the losing ticket on the ground was voluntarily giving it up, so it's a  "finders keepers" kind of thing.  If picking them up saves someone a few bucks in income taxes then so be it, and good for him or her!

What I don't like is a store without my knowledge and consent keeping my winning or losing ticket, and then selling it at a later date to someone who uses it to falsely reduce what they owe in income taxes.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3685 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2014, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Unless a player wins more than his standard allowable deduction on his taxes, he's never going to need any losing tickets and if he wins a jackpot he not going to bother trying to claim a few losing lottery tickets.

Right.  It's the guy who wins a mid-tier prize who really benefits by showing an IRS auditor a big pile of losing tickets.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: November 13, 2014, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Nice wins of +$50 then I take a pic with my phone and then cash em. I never get my winning tickets back and I never ask for them. Smaller wins end up being converted into new lottery tickets and life goes on.

That money's gone fo ever

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                          Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1129 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2014, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm pretty sure that in most states the clerks are supposed to tear up or mark through tickets after cashing them.

Even if they don't, this would only work for multi-play printed tickets, since obviously a winning scratch-off cannot be used as a loss.

So it is likely the clerk at that store has a dedicated recycling bin or what not for players to throw away losing tickets. Also possible is that those tickets belong to the clerks. I see clerks buying tickets all the time. They get a commission from selling them which actually lowers (albeit only slightly) their cost to play.

Buying loser tickets to offset taxes is all fine and dandy until the IRS audits and figures out that there is no way you purchased a Mega Millions ticket halfway across the state during your smoke break at Bank of America. Have fun with that felony. Audits on lottery winners do happen. More frequently than you think.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                            Member #160355
                            October 25, 2014
                            101 Posts
                            Posted: November 13, 2014, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Lottometro..you are dead wrong. I guess you never heard of Clearnace Jones and the so called ten Percenters. In a nutshell it is people

who cash other peoples winning lottery tickets for them so they can avoid either the taxes or other obligations they may owe (ie child support etc)

In any case i am saying you are wrong because Jones cashed in millions of dollars of winning tickets over the past decade and wrote every "win" off as a loss

and even got a refund. The state fought him..and lost. He kept meticulious records.  Now obviously you can't write off millions as a loss while you have a

million in the bank...There is a whole underground economy of people cashing other people's winnings in for them. The only way this is worthwhile for 

them is the 10% take AND the fact that they CAN write it ALL off. 

Search Clarance Jones Massachusetts lottery and you will see the articles on him and others like him. I am not allowed to post links to it

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: November 13, 2014, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Lottometro..you are dead wrong. I guess you never heard of Clearnace Jones and the so called ten Percenters. In a nutshell it is people

who cash other peoples winning lottery tickets for them so they can avoid either the taxes or other obligations they may owe (ie child support etc)

In any case i am saying you are wrong because Jones cashed in millions of dollars of winning tickets over the past decade and wrote every "win" off as a loss

and even got a refund. The state fought him..and lost. He kept meticulious records.  Now obviously you can't write off millions as a loss while you have a

million in the bank...There is a whole underground economy of people cashing other people's winnings in for them. The only way this is worthwhile for 

them is the 10% take AND the fact that they CAN write it ALL off. 

Search Clarance Jones Massachusetts lottery and you will see the articles on him and others like him. I am not allowed to post links to it

The were some LP news stories about those ten percenters and you can post links to other LP posts and news stories if you want.

Evil Looking