Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone just lost out on $130 million.

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 2 years ago by chris-chase.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NYC
United States
Member #161115
November 17, 2014
126 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:13 am - IP Logged

For a Powerball ticket. Deadline just past on Sunday. There is no way you can forget you have a winning ticket worth that much. They most likely lost it or it was stollen. I remember reading about that story from last year and the store said they knew who bought the winning ticket. I wonder if that was the highest amount that ever went unclaimed.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Why even play if your not going to claim it. It could of went to someone else. I see there's a few more unclaimed coming soon.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1732 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2014, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Does that money go back into the powerball game?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6305 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2014, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

WOW!!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!! I would be sick!!!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

NYC
          United States
          Member #161115
          November 17, 2014
          126 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2014, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Why even play if your not going to claim it. It could of went to someone else. I see there's a few more unclaimed coming soon.

Most likely something happend to the winner or the ticket for them not to claim it. Maybe the person died, got into an accident, developed amnesia, went to jail, or left the country etc... The possibilites are endless. Unless you're rich and play for fun and not claim any prizes then I don't think regular people would do the same.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1131 Posts
            Posted: November 17, 2014, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Does that money go back into the powerball game?

The money is returned according to the states' share of the jackpot.

Some states give that money back to players (i.e. prize fund). Others keep the money (i.e. transfer to education fund).

While one person indeed missed out on a life-changing sum, it is not as if the money disappeared into thin air. Multiple parties will benefit from this.

That being said, it is a shame for any prize of major proportions to go unclaimed, but 'tis the irony of playing for an unattainable fortune. Even being at the right place in the right time with the right ticket doesn't guarantee that you will achieve success.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2014, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

They might have died or they  lost it  or they tossed it somewhere and never got around to checking it. Either way, someone lost out on a lot of money.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2014, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

For a Powerball ticket. Deadline just past on Sunday. There is no way you can forget you have a winning ticket worth that much. They most likely lost it or it was stollen. I remember reading about that story from last year and the store said they knew who bought the winning ticket. I wonder if that was the highest amount that ever went unclaimed.

Did the store contact the person who lost the ticket if they knew who won it?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Left Coast
                  United States
                  Member #122298
                  January 28, 2012
                  125 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2014, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

What state was this purchased in?

And welcome to LP.

California
                    United States
                    Member #141204
                    April 7, 2013
                    280 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2014, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

What state was this purchased in?

And welcome to LP.

New York. It's funny cause here in California if a jackpot winning ticket isn't claimed after a month, the state lottery releases the surveillance footage of the winner buying the ticket to the public. I've seen it happen before.

NYC
                      United States
                      Member #161115
                      November 17, 2014
                      126 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2014, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

@ Scarychick- It was from a store in Brooklyn, NY and they released the name and address of the store. The deadline has already passed so it's obvious that the lotto office or the store didn't try to find the winner. And I'm sure the store would have cameras. 

@WesternRed- Thanks for the welcome but I've been reading this forum for a while. I just created a new account since I couldn't log into the old one.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4146 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2014, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

New York. It's funny cause here in California if a jackpot winning ticket isn't claimed after a month, the state lottery releases the surveillance footage of the winner buying the ticket to the public. I've seen it happen before.

" I have seen it happen before as well"- l seriously doubt it is going to happen again PR.

The California lottery screwed up big-time with that one. A winner of either the MM/PB jackpot in California has 365 days in which to come forward and claim their prize, however *they CL Angrydecided that since no one had come forward after 45 days, they had better visit the store, ask the owner for the surveillance tape of the time of the ticket purchase and plaster the winner's face on tv. Their actions resulted in the winner being hounded out of the City. l read where people were leaving bouquets of flowers on his doorstep with hundreds of letters from people pleading for all kinds of financial help.Folks were knocking on his door at all hours of the day  after they recognized the store and the winner.

The California lottery Comm got a firestorm of protests from people asking " What the heck is going on here?" It was not No No their business to go about taking footage of the store and outing the winner. Granted this is not a State where one can claim their prize anonymously- but for heaven sakes...honor the 365 day rule that is published in your own handbook.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                          Member #159822
                          October 9, 2014
                          38 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Is this the biggest individual unclaimed prize in U.S history?

Left Coast
                            United States
                            Member #122298
                            January 28, 2012
                            125 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Is this the biggest individual unclaimed prize in U.S history?

I would think so. I remember the last time I heard of the largest unclaimed jackpot, it was in the $50-55M range. I think it was Powerball in Indiana. It was awhile ago. Maybe 10 years ago.

I'm suprised this hasn't gotten more attention.

United States
                              Member #159822
                              October 9, 2014
                              38 Posts
                              Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

According to NY Lottery it was a QP ticket sold at 117 BRIGHTON BEACH AVE , BROOKLYN worth $130.3 Million. What "PrinceRene" said is accurate, .CA releases surveillance footage. Why doesn't NY do the same. Where the cameras not rolling that day or what? Total revenue for 2014 NY Lottery is over $9.2 Billion. They could have done much more to find this winner. If you ask me its just the greed.