Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Reducing number pool size without eliminating winning numbers

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Hans.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19898 Posts
Posted: November 23, 2014, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

The most important thing a player can do to win a lottery is play the winning numbers but playing all the possible numbers make that almost impossible with an affordable amount of combinations.  To solve that problem players reduce the number pool size but risk removing the winning numbers.

One of the best way I've found to do this is to limit the pool size to limit number selection to a fixed amount of previous drawings.  You will not only have a smaller pool of numbers but 80% of the time will have at least three of the winning numbers and all the winning numbers about 10% of the time.  Best of all these numbers can be covered in 10 lines or less with good number management that avoid repeating past winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Winner
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #155844
    May 31, 2014
    1926 Posts
    Posted: November 23, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

This applies to pick3/pick4 as well

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4145 Posts
      Posted: November 23, 2014, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

The most important thing a player can do to win a lottery is play the winning numbers but playing all the possible numbers make that almost impossible with an affordable amount of combinations.  To solve that problem players reduce the number pool size but risk removing the winning numbers.

One of the best way I've found to do this is to limit the pool size to limit number selection to a fixed amount of previous drawings.  You will not only have a smaller pool of numbers but 80% of the time will have at least three of the winning numbers and all the winning numbers about 10% of the time.  Best of all these numbers can be covered in 10 lines or less with good number management that avoid repeating past winners.

" The most important thing a player can do to win a lottery is play the winning numbers"...well that's a no brainer....however how does one go about knowing beforehand  what the " winning numbers are? That's the kind of information players want to get their hands on RJOH. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1654 Posts
        Posted: November 23, 2014, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Also, regarding that part of having (3) of the winning numbers 80% of the time, this must occur with those (3) numbers all on the same line for it to be an "intended'  consistent and dependable approach. Otherwise, QP's can net (3) scattered but matching numbers as I've done that many times in the past. Not saying it cannot be done, just that such consistency will define the approach as intended... as opposed to luck.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: November 23, 2014, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

"these numbers can be covered in 10 lines or less"

You can have a very good chance of having 3 of 5 or 6 winning numbers by playing 60 or 50% of the possible numbers. For a 6/54 game you can do that with 5 or 6 lines. 9 lines can guarantee them all 100% of the time, because you can use all 54 available numbers.

None of that does anything to improve your chances. Not only do you need to play enough of the winning numbers, yu need to play them on the same line. You may think that having 4 of 6 winning numbers in 4 or 5 lines means you've come closer than missing them all, but you haven't. There are exactly two possibilities. You can win or you can lose, and they're both like being pregnant - you can't lose just a little bit.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5756 Posts
            Posted: November 23, 2014, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

"these numbers can be covered in 10 lines or less"

You can have a very good chance of having 3 of 5 or 6 winning numbers by playing 60 or 50% of the possible numbers. For a 6/54 game you can do that with 5 or 6 lines. 9 lines can guarantee them all 100% of the time, because you can use all 54 available numbers.

None of that does anything to improve your chances. Not only do you need to play enough of the winning numbers, yu need to play them on the same line. You may think that having 4 of 6 winning numbers in 4 or 5 lines means you've come closer than missing them all, but you haven't. There are exactly two possibilities. You can win or you can lose, and they're both like being pregnant - you can't lose just a little bit.

Playing all 54 numbers on 9 lines is something I do often. It guarantees having all the winning numbers. Then it's up to luck for any of them to fall on the same line.

I'll usually have one line with 2 winning numbers, occasionally 3 winning numbers.

Actually, the best I've done this year is when I played 12 numbers on 2 lines. I had 4 winning numbers on 1 line and 2 on the other.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19898 Posts
              Posted: November 23, 2014, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Playing all 54 numbers on 9 lines is something I do often. It guarantees having all the winning numbers. Then it's up to luck for any of them to fall on the same line.

I'll usually have one line with 2 winning numbers, occasionally 3 winning numbers.

Actually, the best I've done this year is when I played 12 numbers on 2 lines. I had 4 winning numbers on 1 line and 2 on the other.

That's true for my state's 6/49 game as well.  Maybe I should be looking at the mixing patterns and play all the numbers in 9 lines know that all the winning numbers are there and it's just a matter of getting the right mix of six.

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: November 23, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Like the fact that it's ten lines or less.

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: November 23, 2014, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

" The most important thing a player can do to win a lottery is play the winning numbers"...well that's a no brainer....however how does one go about knowing beforehand  what the " winning numbers are? That's the kind of information players want to get their hands on RJOH. 

In his second paragraph he explains a possible remedy.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5756 Posts
                    Posted: November 24, 2014, 8:31 am - IP Logged

That's true for my state's 6/49 game as well.  Maybe I should be looking at the mixing patterns and play all the numbers in 9 lines know that all the winning numbers are there and it's just a matter of getting the right mix of six.

If you want to play all the numbers but also limit the pool size BobP had an idea, and I use it also. Basically eliminate the 6 numbers that were drawn in the last drawing. Obviously there will be a repeat occasionally, but many times there will not be a repeat. This eliminates millions of combinations. Also, for me, I will leave out numbers 50-54 along with the last 6 drawn, leaving 43 numbers to play. When those conditions are met, the odds go from 1 in 25,827,165 to 1 in 6,096,454. That's over 19 million combinations off the table.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Krypton
                      United States
                      Member #140102
                      March 11, 2013
                      904 Posts
                      Posted: November 24, 2014, 9:28 am - IP Logged

And how many draws back do you suggest to wheel?  What kind of wheel and how many numbers?

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3159 Posts
                        Posted: November 24, 2014, 9:29 am - IP Logged

The most important thing a player can do to win a lottery is:

Buy a ticket.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #150797
                          December 31, 2013
                          822 Posts
                          Posted: November 24, 2014, 9:35 am - IP Logged

If you want to play all the numbers but also limit the pool size BobP had an idea, and I use it also. Basically eliminate the 6 numbers that were drawn in the last drawing. Obviously there will be a repeat occasionally, but many times there will not be a repeat. This eliminates millions of combinations. Also, for me, I will leave out numbers 50-54 along with the last 6 drawn, leaving 43 numbers to play. When those conditions are met, the odds go from 1 in 25,827,165 to 1 in 6,096,454. That's over 19 million combinations off the table.

For a 6/49 game, you can catch a winner 72% of the time by just playing the numbers from the last 4 games.

31% = 3 match

28% = 4 match

11% = 5 match

2%  = 6 match

This reduces the field of 49 down to about 26 numbers, or just over half the possibilities,  which is still a lot to wheel.

Assuming a similar reduction for the PB you would end up with 32 numbers, or for MM, 40 numbers.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19898 Posts
                            Posted: November 24, 2014, 10:33 am - IP Logged

For a 6/49 game, you can catch a winner 72% of the time by just playing the numbers from the last 4 games.

31% = 3 match

28% = 4 match

11% = 5 match

2%  = 6 match

This reduces the field of 49 down to about 26 numbers, or just over half the possibilities,  which is still a lot to wheel.

Assuming a similar reduction for the PB you would end up with 32 numbers, or for MM, 40 numbers.

That must vary by state.  I looked at the 1226 drawings of Ohio's Classic Lotto(6/49) and it was 47.9%

Of the 1226 combinations, 1208 had all 6 numbers in the previous drawings and when only looking at the previous 4 drawings the results were at follows:

match 6 =2       0.1%
                            match 5 =36     2.9%
                            match 4 =152  12.5%
                            match 3 =392  32.4%
                            total      =582  47.9%

match 2 =396 32.7%
                            match 1 =190 15.7%
                            match 0 =40    3.3%

Evil Looking       

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #150797
                              December 31, 2013
                              822 Posts
                              Posted: November 24, 2014, 10:47 am - IP Logged

That must vary by state.  I looked at the 1226 drawings of Ohio's Classic Lotto(6/49) and it was 47.9%

Of the 1226 combinations, 1208 had all 6 numbers in the previous drawings and when only looking at the previous 4 drawings the results were at follows:

match 6 =2       0.1%
                              match 5 =36     2.9%
                              match 4 =152  12.5%
                              match 3 =392  32.4%
                              total      =582  47.9%

match 2 =396 32.7%
                              match 1 =190 15.7%
                              match 0 =40    3.3%

Ah!  I should have mentioned that the bonus number is included -- so really only the 4 match and up would win any money.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein