Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery syndicates online

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoMetro.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noahwill's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
Melbourne
Australia
Member #160219
October 22, 2014
42 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2014, 7:03 am - IP Logged

I usually buy my lottery tickets online at theLotter and I see they're now offering syndicates on the site. So now I've been wondering if I should I play syndicates. Has anyone done this before? How much are your odds improved by? What are the advantages and are there any downsides to playing lottery syndicates?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2014, 8:44 am - IP Logged

you get a share of more tickets for the same money. but  when those tickets win, you get lesser share of the prize  money.  i imagine math wise its actually better than buying all your own tickets.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

South Carolina
      United States
      Member #18322
      July 9, 2005
      1707 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2014, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy my lottery tickets online at theLotter and I see they're now offering syndicates on the site. So now I've been wondering if I should I play syndicates. Has anyone done this before? How much are your odds improved by? What are the advantages and are there any downsides to playing lottery syndicates?

What is a lottery syndicate, and how does it work ????

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: November 30, 2014, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Your expected value of winnings doesn't change; however, your variance decreases. In that sense, it is better to play in a pool. If you don't mind taking less winnings in exchange for more chances to win, then it's a good idea. If you want more winnings at the cost of fewer chances to win, then it's not.

There are other issues of course, especially with sharing agreement and whatnot. Personally, I avoid playing the lottery online because even if you hit the jackpot, there is no real guarantee you will get to collect. The proprietors could easily claim the ticket and leave the country. Also, for us players in the United States, most states have laws against mail/Internet ticket purchases (especially from third-parties) and would find any excuse to weasel out of paying your claim.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: November 30, 2014, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

I've heard of individuals and pools winning jackpots but I've never heard of a syndicate winning one.  Certainly if they buy as many tickets as they claim then they must have won many different prizes but there must be a reason no prize has ever been claimed using an on line syndicate name.

The trouble with on lines syndicates is they're quick to tell players the advantage of playing in such a big group while skipping the difficulties of collecting winnings.  Ask plenty of questions before you join such a group because someone came up the scheme to make money for themselves, not you.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7318 Posts
            Posted: November 30, 2014, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I've heard of individuals and pools winning jackpots but I've never heard of a syndicate winning one.  Certainly if they buy as many tickets as they claim then they must have won many different prizes but there must be a reason no prize has ever been claimed using an on line syndicate name.

The trouble with on lines syndicates is they're quick to tell players the advantage of playing in such a big group while skipping the difficulties of collecting winnings.  Ask plenty of questions before you join such a group because someone came up the scheme to make money for themselves, not you.

You're forgetting the Aussie syndicate that bought out the Virginia Lotto. But it's easy to forget because rules were changed preventing it from happening again. If I'm considering joining a pool or a syndicate, I want to see what we're playing before the drawing and probably not easy for a syndicate based outside the U.S.

South Carolina
              United States
              Member #18322
              July 9, 2005
              1707 Posts
              Posted: November 30, 2014, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

What is a lottery syndicate, and how does it work ????

Is this like an online lottery pool ???  How can you trust such a concept, with a group of strangers, playing jackpot lotteries ??  Where is Common Sense in this picture ??

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                Member #153629
                March 20, 2014
                129 Posts
                Posted: November 30, 2014, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

I played 1 share also this tuesday. The winnings are shared among all winners but they charge much more on the ticket.

My calculation on Euomillions. First, regular tickets bought at official resellers cost much less. 1 line of euromillions cost 2 euro in most countries, about $2,5. This online reseller sells single lines for $6.25 thats $3,75 added on the real price.

And when they sell tickets in syndicate they add even more fees, a single line now cost $17,34 that's $15 more than regular tickets. The syndicate buys 126 ticket, regular price on the site would be $787 but all shares in the syndicate are sold for $2184, thats 277% the price of a single ticket on the site and 693% of the cost of an single ticket at official reseller. 

I won 72 cent on my share. So I keep buying regular tickets, less of a chance of winning but more fun...

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2014, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Is this like an online lottery pool ???  How can you trust such a concept, with a group of strangers, playing jackpot lotteries ??  Where is Common Sense in this picture ??

Lottery is already a tough nut to crack so when you add the possible difficulty of collecting your pay should you win then it becomes a bad idea to be in a syndicate. In fact I only participate in the work pool to avoid the chance that I might be the only one left if others won, otherwise I don't like pools.

That money's gone fo ever

Melbourne
                    Australia
                    Member #160219
                    October 22, 2014
                    42 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2014, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Thanks LottoMetro for your input about the syndicates!

Regarding the sharing agreement, theLotter will set it all up which is why it seemed preferable to getting my own syndicate together. I'm from Australia so i dont have the laws to worry about so that is why playing online works for me. I'm also comfortable using this site because they've been around for 12 years and have a really good reputation. Have you played syndicates yourself?

United Kingdom
                      Member #160581
                      November 2, 2014
                      17 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2014, 3:05 am - IP Logged

I think it's a bit strange to compare it to costs in a local store... I mean, if you buy your ticket online it's probably because they don't sell the lottery you want to play in your store...

United Kingdom
                        Member #160581
                        November 2, 2014
                        17 Posts
                        Posted: December 1, 2014, 3:09 am - IP Logged

I know theLotter specifically had a $1 million winner, so I personally think they are good on their word, but to each his own.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                          Member #153629
                          March 20, 2014
                          129 Posts
                          Posted: December 1, 2014, 5:32 am - IP Logged

I trust them also. But I play after cost/chance ratio. I have made a simple spreadsheet to calculate this.

In Sweden Eurojackpot is the only official multi-country lottery with similar odds of winning like Euromillions. One single line on Eurojackpot here costs $3,33 compared with Euromillions syndicate $17,34. I get more than 5 lines for each Euromillions ticket. Svenska Spel (Swedish gambling company) have plans to include Eurojackpot in their syndicate play, these tickets like regular swedish Lotto syndicate will cost the same as regular tickets bought. 

The bigger question is what happens if a syndicate on thelotter strikes big? I trust them when it comes to single winners, but when 126 people with single shares travel to the country tha lottery was played in, to claim their prizes? And can they really offer plane tickets also to all those winners?  I think it will be big trouble then, that's why I stick to playing my own tickets.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

JeetKuneDoLotto's avatar - mystic

United States
                            Member #161367
                            November 27, 2014
                            60 Posts
                            Posted: December 1, 2014, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Do you have to join their syndicate?  Are there multiple syndicates?

Can you start your own syndicate at the site?

Because of styles, people are separated.  They are not united together because styles became law.  But the original founder of the style started out with hypothesis - but now it has become the gospel truth.  Like boxing or fencing JKDL is a step by step project in which each maneuver must be repeated many times.  Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water.  Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.  Put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow, or surge or drip or crash.  Be water my friend. 

Melbourne
                              Australia
                              Member #160219
                              October 22, 2014
                              42 Posts
                              Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:17 am - IP Logged

Do you have to join their syndicate?  Are there multiple syndicates?

Can you start your own syndicate at the site?

I was wondering the same thing so i did some homework and it seems like you can't start your own one but there are a couple already there to choose from.