Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's frustrating to get numbers so close to the winning ones

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 2 years ago by darthfury78.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2014, 8:59 am - IP Logged

I play Powerball and Lucky for Life and occasionally Mass Cash. These are all draw games. What I find so frustrating is how often I will be one off from a number. For instance on Saturdays Powerball draw I had 4 numbers that were off by one number (and with Powerball I always play with the Powerplay option) and I find that many times when I check my numbers for Lucky For Life and even Mass Cash it often is the same thing. I'm sure many people have had the same thing happen but it's soooo frustrating. I almost feel like the lottery is dangling this in front of me to keep playing and maybe saying one of these days I will win. Have many of you experienced the same?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: December 1, 2014, 10:10 am - IP Logged

This has happened so many times I'm use to it. Amazing how you can choose 13/15 and 14/16 come out. It's like they know what numbers everyone is playing.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3316 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2014, 10:34 am - IP Logged

depending on how many numbers are drawn you are 2x 4x 8x 16x 32x 64x more likely to get one off the number you drew.

for instance twice every number that was drawn for  was 1 off my picked numbers except 1, twice, in my memory of checking numbers

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: December 1, 2014, 10:55 am - IP Logged

There is a strategy that I saw being floated here in LP that can help you fix that. It's the +1 -1 or is it -1 +1? I'd advice you to just toss the losing tickets and forget about em or you'll find yourself trying to buy more and more lines to cover possibilities.

That money's gone fo ever

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7343 Posts
          Posted: December 1, 2014, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I play Powerball and Lucky for Life and occasionally Mass Cash. These are all draw games. What I find so frustrating is how often I will be one off from a number. For instance on Saturdays Powerball draw I had 4 numbers that were off by one number (and with Powerball I always play with the Powerplay option) and I find that many times when I check my numbers for Lucky For Life and even Mass Cash it often is the same thing. I'm sure many people have had the same thing happen but it's soooo frustrating. I almost feel like the lottery is dangling this in front of me to keep playing and maybe saying one of these days I will win. Have many of you experienced the same?

Any five number combo with the lowest number being 2 or higher, there is a potential ten numbers that could be one off. If you play five lines, there is a possible 50 numbers being one off. What you're seeing is basic math probability and used by many pick-3 system players.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4145 Posts
            Posted: December 1, 2014, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

In actuality Shy- the " closest" anyone's numbers come to the winning ones are while they are spinning around - once the balls are coughed up, all bets are off... but l hear what you saying.

Keep your chin up & hang in there, all the other players are!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1095 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2014, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

I'm lucky just to hit one or two numbers. Even though my success rate is extremely low, I will keep on playing on different occasions as a couple tickets here and there does provide a backdrop for me to dreamSmile.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:21 am - IP Logged

This has happened so many times I'm use to it. Amazing how you can choose 13/15 and 14/16 come out. It's like they know what numbers everyone is playing.

Hi RedStang,

It seems like you can relate since this has happened to you as well.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:34 am - IP Logged

There is a strategy that I saw being floated here in LP that can help you fix that. It's the +1 -1 or is it -1 +1? I'd advice you to just toss the losing tickets and forget about em or you'll find yourself trying to buy more and more lines to cover possibilities.

Hi maringoman,

A few years ago I would occasionally pick my own numbers and buy 5 tickets at a time when the jackpot for PB was very high. What would happen is I would get all 5 numbers but they would be on all different lines instead of being just on one ticket. Since it's so hard to even win a 2nd place prize, I now always buy just the 1 ticket to keep myself in the game and save money. I always toss my losing tickets. Just feel like it's often that I will get numbers that are one off and that makes me feel like I'm getting closer, in reality it's still a losing ticket.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:36 am - IP Logged

Any five number combo with the lowest number being 2 or higher, there is a potential ten numbers that could be one off. If you play five lines, there is a possible 50 numbers being one off. What you're seeing is basic math probability and used by many pick-3 system players.

Hi Stack47,

I can understand it happening if I bought five lines as you say but I only buy one line.

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:42 am - IP Logged

In actuality Shy- the " closest" anyone's numbers come to the winning ones are while they are spinning around - once the balls are coughed up, all bets are off... but l hear what you saying.

Hi noise-gate,

I like your analogy it rings true. As you say I will keep my chin up and keep hanging on. This past year with spending less on the lottery I feel much more positive in life (even though my personal and work life haven't changed for the better).

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2014, 2:46 am - IP Logged

I'm lucky just to hit one or two numbers. Even though my success rate is extremely low, I will keep on playing on different occasions as a couple tickets here and there does provide a backdrop for me to dreamSmile.

Hi Drenick1,

It souds like you are playing smart and not spending too much money, yet it still allows you to have your dream of winning someday. Good luck.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19900 Posts
                          Posted: December 2, 2014, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to figure that basic math probability?  If so the frustrating factors might be avoided.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3090 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2014, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I hear what you are saying shyguitar.  On my state lotto tickets that I get I can have like one or two numbers right and then be one off on three other numbers.  Then sometimes I will be like two numbers on the bottom row and three numbers one off and then the sixth number will be on the top row.  I just stare at the ticket and say to myself next time is when I will get them all.  It happened to me last week twice in two drawings so it does blow big time.  But I think to myself it was not meant to be and on to the next ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: December 2, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

I love that!  So basically I am a winner each game... up until the balls cough.  :)