Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's frustrating to get numbers so close to the winning ones

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 2 years ago by darthfury78.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2014, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I hear what you are saying shyguitar.  On my state lotto tickets that I get I can have like one or two numbers right and then be one off on three other numbers.  Then sometimes I will be like two numbers on the bottom row and three numbers one off and then the sixth number will be on the top row.  I just stare at the ticket and say to myself next time is when I will get them all.  It happened to me last week twice in two drawings so it does blow big time.  But I think to myself it was not meant to be and on to the next ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

Hi weshar75,

It seems like you have the same problem as me. I like your positive attitude and your saying "I think to myself it was not meant to be and onto the next ticket".

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7325 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2014, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi Stack47,

I can understand it happening if I bought five lines as you say but I only buy one line.

Five numbers have 10 numbers "one number off" so if you buy a QP and play those five numbers with the ten, there are 15 possible numbers. And that creates almost 10 million combos that match three of those 15 numbers.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7325 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2014, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to figure that basic math probability?  If so the frustrating factors might be avoided.

I'm not buying every one line QP they get matches 2 numbers and one off on the other 3, but there is probability of it occasionally happening. Mass Cash draws 5 out of 35 numbers so the "one number off" means 42% of the numbers and more likely were the two numbers matches are found. There is no prize for matching two numbers, but with the likelihood of one of the other three numbers being one off, gives players a mathematical hope.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2014, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I hear what you are saying shyguitar.  On my state lotto tickets that I get I can have like one or two numbers right and then be one off on three other numbers.  Then sometimes I will be like two numbers on the bottom row and three numbers one off and then the sixth number will be on the top row.  I just stare at the ticket and say to myself next time is when I will get them all.  It happened to me last week twice in two drawings so it does blow big time.  But I think to myself it was not meant to be and on to the next ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

If you play all the numbers in your state game than there's a good chance you're going to match all six winning numbers usually one or two on a line.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

homestead
          United States
          Member #158182
          August 14, 2014
          132 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2014, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Sometimes it's best to pick your numbers by writing them out before you buy the tickets. Once you've written the numbers, pick one or two numbers from each line to create a new line of numbers.

noahwill's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
            Melbourne
            Australia
            Member #160219
            October 22, 2014
            42 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2014, 1:00 am - IP Logged

It bugs me too. Especially when I see the winning numbers that have a couple of my lucky numbers in there but i didn't happen to play that draw!

United States
              Member #145267
              August 1, 2013
              1534 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2014, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Another way of playing your numbers but I don't think that works.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3301 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2014, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

i use   2 ^n as the odds you will be 1 off every drawn.

n= number of balls drawn

so as an example  if 6 numbers are drawn you are  64 more times likely to get every number 1 off the actual drawn numbers

or of 5 numbers drawn, 32 times more likely

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2014, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I play Powerball and MegaMillions in my office lottery pool but on my own, I strictly play Lotto and Easy 5, since the odds are better. I only play MegaMillions and Powerball if the jackpots break $100 million. When it comes to being close, I played Powerball with Powerplay for my 10th wedding anniversary 3 years ago and won $100. I was literally 1 number away from $40,000. Ever since, I've played my wedding anniversary numbers every year around that time. Haven't had that kind of luck since, but I keep trying.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

homestead
                    United States
                    Member #158182
                    August 14, 2014
                    132 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2014, 5:41 am - IP Logged

Perhaps you could try your age number in which you and your wife got married.