Welcome Guest
You last visited April 28, 2017, 11:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Input Playing the Various 6-49 Games

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2014, 7:04 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your thoughts on the various games ... I also like the Cash 5 with the low odds under one million, I liked the game better when it only had 39 numbers. It should be easier to win on that game but I just can't win any money ... last week I played it for 7 days through this past Sunday ... as usual I can almost get one number every night and then I will have one or two numbers just off by one. I get so mad that I can rarely win even a dollar let alone four numbers or the jackpot.

This is a true story and it has happened to me twice with the Cash 5 ... I didn't save the ticket the first time but when it happened again, I did ... I had one number and the other four numbers were all one number off ... two times for that ... I have also had one number and then three numbers just one number off, more than once. I'm sure others have had a similar experience.

Here's what I am doing now for the TH and Cash 5 games ... I mostly only play the TH when the jackpot is around $65,000 and the Cash 5 is at $650,000 ... I will put $5 on each since I am not playing every day for a smaller jackpot ... also the Cash 5 and TH get hit more and don't get to those higher amounts very often. So I put $20 or $25 in an envelope strictly for those two games when they get that higher jackpot ... usually still have some money in the envelope for the next month.

I have been thinking since September about playing the Cash 5 mostly at $5 a day for one month ... total $150 just to experiment ... still kicking this around but now you have me thinking about Quinto ... I have not really paid much attention to that game since it started ... only played it two times. I'm going to study it for a month or two ... when do you play the game ... day time or night time drawing ? ... I would probably only go with the night time drawing since they use the machines and not a computer pick.

Someone also mentioned Quinto earlier in this thread or the Monopoly game thread where I have also posted ... it may have been you. The odds are going to be better than the Match 6 for sure but at 7 days a week a person needs a nice bankroll if playing several dollars a day or more where two times a week for the Match 6 is more possible with extra dollars. Once I would start playing Quinto with a set of numbers, I'd be afraid to stop, figuring my numbers would probably come out when I don't play. That happened to me years ago when I played the 3 digit Daily Number, I used to play the Daily Number steady many years ago, long before PB and MM came to PA ... then I decided to go after a bigger jackpot ... with no success. I guess if I would play a computer pick number all the time and then if I quit for a few days, I wouldn't have to worry about "my numbers" coming out when I don't play.

In regards to the Treasure Hunt game ... earlier I had posted about always having a 1 or low numbers print out on my game tickets like the Cash 5 or Match 6 ... well on the THunt game I don't mind a 1 printing ... like you said, with only 30 calander numbers all the low numbers including 1 seem to show up fairly often ... lots of 2s, 3s, 4s and so on.

Speaking of the Match 6 ... maringoman talks about a nice 6/49 game in MA ... Megabucks Doubler ... that's a nice payout for 5 out of 6 numbers ... $2500 ... that's what I feel 5 numbers should pay in PA, when I won the $1000 years back ... but I guess the jackpot would grow even slower from $500,000 if they paid more money on the lower prizes and they do pay money for numbers all over the ticket ... PA might be the only state having a 6/49 game like that ... two games on one ticket, don't know.

Again asking about Quinto ... do you play your own 5 numbers or get a QP and then buy more tickets with the QP number? Do you play only straight or box also?

I'm working on my lottery play for Jan and my lottery budget ... I'm watching the Match 6 if it doesn't get hit in Dec ... it will be hitting two million in Jan ... like I said in an earlier post, a person has to win at least 1.6 to 2 million dollars to be a true millionaire after taxes, depending on where you live. Then you can walk around town with a big fat cigar and snapping your suspenders ... I don't smoke though but I guess I could chew on it for a few minutes.

Actually I would tell no one and leave town for a warmer climate.

I am also still watching the new Monopoly game and may play it steady into Jan ... LottoMetro thinks there may be changes in the works already for the game ... I figure maybe play now before they make it harder to win in 2015, if they do that and of course I will move on if they do.

GLTA ... Hit Something !!!

United States
    Member #161539
    December 3, 2014
    328 Posts
    Posted: December 10, 2014, 8:01 am - IP Logged

In MA we have a 6/49 game called Megabucks Doubler.Top prize jp starts at $0.5M and it crawls slowly to $2M at which point I start playing. The match 5 of 6 pays $2,500, match 4 of 6 pays $100 and match 3 of 6 pays $2. I usually try to wheel numbers on this game but so far nothing good has come up for me.  The jackpot gets hit about 3 times every year which means it's a popular local game

Thanks for posting about your MA game ... that's a decent prize for 5 out of 6 numbers. The 6/49 game in PA also starts at $500,000 and usually jumps $50,000 for awhile and then $100,000 when it really starts growing faster.

I didn't go to the MA Lottery site ... I'm guessing a ticket cost $1. When you say "wheel the numbers" for a 6/49 game, that's an interesting strategy. In PA I take the most hit numbers over the last 50 draws and work several tickets and and run the same numbers through twice ... in PA if you get a lot of doubles and a triple set of repeat numbers ... and IF they come out you can make some "playing" dollars. What's nice about the Match 6 tickets ... you can play your own numbers and you still get two lines of QPicks ... so you don't have to play separate tickets like other games ... you can have three lines of QPs or one line of your numbers and two lines of QPs for a $2 game.

I'm surprised your game only gets hit three times a year ... in PA lately at least this year, it seems to be every month or two. That's why I have been wondering if people have dropped the MM and PB and decided to go with Match 6 ... I have no clue, only the Lottery knows for sure where the money is going.

Years ago they dropped the Match 6 game for a new jackpot game, few people liked it and they brought the Match 6 game back.

Talk about a hard game ... in that game you had to pick the 6 numbers exactly as they came out of the machine ... I hated it ... so if the numbers were 6 14 23 34 38 47 but having those numbers didn't win the big jackpot, if the numbers came out of the machine like this:

23 14 47 6 38 34 ... that is the way the jackpot was won ... can you imagine trying to play that stupid game and win ... it died but not fast enough ... people wanted the old 6/49 game back, or so the Lottery said ... they just wanted to get rid of that turkey game.

United States
      Member #161539
      December 3, 2014
      328 Posts
      Posted: December 10, 2014, 10:48 am - IP Logged

To me personally, the odds are where it's at.

IMHO, playing the lottery is a sucker bet.  It's incredibly hard to win a life changing amount of money.  That's why when I play PB or MM, I'm really playing for second place.  Because of that, whenever I play, I always buy the Megaplier or Power Play.  I also used to play two identical lines on my Sweet Million tickets because the first 5 winners of a JP were NOT pari-mutuel.  So if I had all six numbers on both of  those lines, I'd have won two million.  I kind of invented my own Sweet Milly Power Play. The best thing was that the odds for Sweet Milly were 3.8 million to 1 whereas PB's 2nd place prize was 5 million to 1 to win 2 million dollars.  My PB ticket cost me 3 bucks, but my Sweet Milly ticket was only two bucks. (Better odds and less cost to win the same amount of money - 2 million)

I like raffles too because of the odds involved.  Because of where I'm located, an hours drive to both Connecticut and Pennsylvania, I have some tickets to both Ct's SuperDraw raffle, and PA's Millionaire raffle. (Both are set to go off New Years week.)  G5

I was also thinking about the population difference between Ohio and PA but I didn't check any numbers. Those number differences aren't too drastic. Just more people playing these days maybe ...

Yes I will buy other raffle tickets from other states if I happen to be in the area but that's not often. That "Sweet Milly" game sure sounded like a winner ... did they replace it with another game or just end it?

I have some Match 6 jackpot dates written down ... this may have been the largest Match 6 jackpot ever hit in PA ... Oct 03, 2013 ... 7.4 million ... I thought there might have been one over 8 million but it may be this one being close to 8 million.

That was a clever way to play that Sweet Millions game ... hedge your bets for more of the jackpot, it works for some players.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        20021 Posts
        Posted: December 10, 2014, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Thanks for posting about your MA game ... that's a decent prize for 5 out of 6 numbers. The 6/49 game in PA also starts at $500,000 and usually jumps $50,000 for awhile and then $100,000 when it really starts growing faster.

I didn't go to the MA Lottery site ... I'm guessing a ticket cost $1. When you say "wheel the numbers" for a 6/49 game, that's an interesting strategy. In PA I take the most hit numbers over the last 50 draws and work several tickets and and run the same numbers through twice ... in PA if you get a lot of doubles and a triple set of repeat numbers ... and IF they come out you can make some "playing" dollars. What's nice about the Match 6 tickets ... you can play your own numbers and you still get two lines of QPicks ... so you don't have to play separate tickets like other games ... you can have three lines of QPs or one line of your numbers and two lines of QPs for a $2 game.

I'm surprised your game only gets hit three times a year ... in PA lately at least this year, it seems to be every month or two. That's why I have been wondering if people have dropped the MM and PB and decided to go with Match 6 ... I have no clue, only the Lottery knows for sure where the money is going.

Years ago they dropped the Match 6 game for a new jackpot game, few people liked it and they brought the Match 6 game back.

Talk about a hard game ... in that game you had to pick the 6 numbers exactly as they came out of the machine ... I hated it ... so if the numbers were 6 14 23 34 38 47 but having those numbers didn't win the big jackpot, if the numbers came out of the machine like this:

23 14 47 6 38 34 ... that is the way the jackpot was won ... can you imagine trying to play that stupid game and win ... it died but not fast enough ... people wanted the old 6/49 game back, or so the Lottery said ... they just wanted to get rid of that turkey game.

"... in PA lately at least this year, it seems to be every month or two. That's why I have been wondering if people have dropped the MM and PB and decided to go with Match 6 ... I have no clue, only the Lottery knows for sure where the money is going."

Most state lottery publish the past drawings of their games along with their payout amounts which should give you an idea of the number of tickets sold.  That information will probably include the payout amounts for PB and MM too, if not then you can go to Dawn Nettle's LottoReport website and get a history of PB and MM sales for each state.  The information is available if you really wanna know.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2014, 11:01 am - IP Logged

"... in PA lately at least this year, it seems to be every month or two. That's why I have been wondering if people have dropped the MM and PB and decided to go with Match 6 ... I have no clue, only the Lottery knows for sure where the money is going."

Most state lottery publish the past drawings of their games along with their payout amounts which should give you an idea of the number of tickets sold.  That information will probably include the payout amounts for PB and MM too, if not then you can go to Dawn Nettle's LottoReport website and get a history of PB and MM sales for each state.  The information is available if you really wanna know.

Yes I would check the tickets sold for MM and PB and now the new Monopoly game at lotto report Texas ... I will check the site that you mentioned ... never heard of it.

I just now checked the Texas site and I see at the bottom it's the site you are talking about.

Very good site for information. Laying off the MM and PB for now as of Nov and playing the new Monopoly game for a month maybe. See how it plays out.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            20021 Posts
            Posted: December 10, 2014, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

What RJ0h posted about Ohio and the 6/49 there climbing to around 70 million over three years ... I followed that earlier this year and read when it finally got hit ... yet in PA our 6/49 can ever hardly reach 5 million ... more like 2 to 3 million and someone hits it.

My initial thoughts were that PA has a much larger population than Ohio, and therefore that's the reason PA's 6/49 is hit more frequently.  I checked on that, and found that PA does have a larger population than Ohio, but PA and Ohio are #6 and #7 respectively in terms of population.  PA has just 2 million more residents than Ohio with 12.7 million people. So that doesn't convince me that PA's 6/49 sees a JP winner more often.  Haven't a clue what might be causing it to happen.  G5 

Years ago when Ohio had its Super Lotto (6/49+1), it had winners and players from all the surrounding states including PA.  At the time Ohio increased its jackpot by $2-$4M after each drawings but all went south when surrounding states added PB and BigGame to their games.  Ohio discontinued SuperLotto and replaced it with Lot'O Play(6/100) and later replaced it with Classic Lotto(6/49).  Ohio finally added PB and MM not to complete with its  local games but to get people interested in playing lotteries again.  Now that those games have increased their prices or odds, players are getting interested in local games again.

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: December 10, 2014, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mention that it costs $1 per bet/line. When I say I wheel I don't mean the serious kind. Actually I don't even think it is true wheeling what I do. I start out with a key combo 03 12 17 28 41 44 then replace each number by a number that jumps into my head. So for example a 5 line combo would look like this 

03-12-17-28-41-44

05-12-17-28-41-44

03-11-17-28-41-44

03-12-23-28-41-44

03-12-17-36-41-44

No matter how lucky I feel I never buy more than 5 lines a drawing and also when I am playing Megabucks Doubler I skip MM & PB and all others.

Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3904 Posts
                Posted: December 10, 2014, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I was also thinking about the population difference between Ohio and PA but I didn't check any numbers. Those number differences aren't too drastic. Just more people playing these days maybe ...

Yes I will buy other raffle tickets from other states if I happen to be in the area but that's not often. That "Sweet Milly" game sure sounded like a winner ... did they replace it with another game or just end it?

I have some Match 6 jackpot dates written down ... this may have been the largest Match 6 jackpot ever hit in PA ... Oct 03, 2013 ... 7.4 million ... I thought there might have been one over 8 million but it may be this one being close to 8 million.

That was a clever way to play that Sweet Millions game ... hedge your bets for more of the jackpot, it works for some players.

The New York Lottery's official position on Sweet Million was that they "retired" it.  In other words, they just ended it with no replacement game.

Sweet Milly did have it's downside, in that the lower tier prizes were just awful.  Second prize was 500 bucks for hitting 5 out of 6 numbers!!  That's ridiculous, and you could win that same amount far more easily by playing one of NY's Daily Numbers game, Pick 3.  So in a sense, The NY Lottery was competing directly with itself. 

Sweet was unlike PB or MM where many players play for second place.  SM Players should have been playing it to win the fixed 1 million dollar top prize.  But people just didn't understand the game.

I wish I could lay claim to coming up with the idea of playing 2 identical lines on my SM ticket, but I can't.  It occurred to me to do that after I saw on The NY Lottery's website that a guy from a town not too far from me accidentally used the same bet slip twice, and won the jackpot on each of his two tickets.  Since the JP wasn't shared for the first 5 winners of it, that guy accidentally won 2 million bucks!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Wyomissing, PA
                  United States
                  Member #161050
                  November 15, 2014
                  305 Posts
                  Posted: December 10, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

PA Cash 5 is "easier" than larger jackpot games, but still not all that easy to win much at. I too have experienced long runs of losses with that game. The odds of matching just two numbers is 1 in 11. So it's not surprising, though disheartening, to play for an entire week and win little to zilch.

Playing Cash 5 for an entire month at $5 per day is worth a try, but plan for the real possibility of only winning back little as $25 of your $150. I still say go for it, since the combined odds of hitting 2nd place, which would likely yield back a small profit, is 1 in 34; winning the jackpot is 1 in 6417 ... gotta play to win.

Many have noticed and experienced the same thing with dups, and seemingly non-random number selections.  Quickpicks are generated by the terminal. They're not guaranteed random, nor officially certified in any way.

My thresholds for those games is $70,000+ for Treasure Hunt (1 in 142,506), and $500,000 for Cash 5 (1 in 962,598). I'll play them even when less, but those thresholds is when I get more into those games, and up my wagers.

PA Quinto requires a larger play budget to win much with, and there can be a lack of excitement for players who like to win a lot. For players focused on playing straight only, it's all or none. I sometimes quickpick and then play it additional times, but usually play my own selected number straight 2-5 times. Playing Quinto with side-bets, such as boxed and first / last 2, 3, 4, etc can add some excitement, but requires an even larger budget, and may result in less than optimal play depending on how one apportions those. Quinto is not for everyone. Personally, I play it occasionally - not everyday.

Overall, Cash 5 is the best game Pennsylvania has in regards to payout and wager cost. Treasure Hunt is getting better, and worth playing. Jackpots used to increase around $10K for the first couple of rolls most of the time, but lately it usually increases somewhat faster with the second roll being $25K, third being around $40K, and forth around $60K-$70K.

I'm not a fan of the new Monopoly Millionaire Game, but play one or two tickets most weeks. I won't wager much on that game, since it's a lousy value. On a related note, I'm leery of the computer randomizer aspect, but the more I think about it, I can't figure out any simple way for MUSL to rig it to prevent an early "top prize" win due to the multi-jurisdictional aspect of the game with each maintaining its own numbers file...

This is important, because if MMC is not rigged, that means any drawing could have a "top prize" winner triggering the club raffle - if that occurs on the next draw this Friday, the odds of winning $1 million could be low as 1 in 30,000 to more likely around 1 in 50,000. That's a darn good value for $5. But the huge caveat is the "top prize" has to be hit, and the odds of that occurring, based on likely amount of total tickets sold, is 1 in 50+ ... but as MM and PB illustrate, early jackpot hits occur more often than many would expect. That's why I play a ticket or two most weeks - it's a longshot, but if an early "top prize" hit occurs, I want to be in the game.

After reading this thread last night, I bought some Match 6 tickets today - haven't play it for awhile, and the jackpot is getting decent.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    20021 Posts
                    Posted: December 10, 2014, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

The New York Lottery's official position on Sweet Million was that they "retired" it.  In other words, they just ended it with no replacement game.

Sweet Milly did have it's downside, in that the lower tier prizes were just awful.  Second prize was 500 bucks for hitting 5 out of 6 numbers!!  That's ridiculous, and you could win that same amount far more easily by playing one of NY's Daily Numbers game, Pick 3.  So in a sense, The NY Lottery was competing directly with itself. 

Sweet was unlike PB or MM where many players play for second place.  SM Players should have been playing it to win the fixed 1 million dollar top prize.  But people just didn't understand the game.

I wish I could lay claim to coming up with the idea of playing 2 identical lines on my SM ticket, but I can't.  It occurred to me to do that after I saw on The NY Lottery's website that a guy from a town not too far from me accidentally used the same bet slip twice, and won the jackpot on each of his two tickets.  Since the JP wasn't shared for the first 5 winners of it, that guy accidentally won 2 million bucks!

Did that game have a cap on its payout?  When Ohio had Buckey5(5/37), its top prize was $100,000 with a cap of $1M on payouts.  A player got the idea of buying 15-20 tickets with the same five numbers which worked fine until he matched all five numbers.  He claimed he wasn't aware of the cap when he claimed his prizes but he had to share with another winner so all his match5 tickets were worth ~$60K each instead of the $100K he expected.  He sued the state and the store that sold him all those tickets but the court said he should have read the rules which were on the play slip.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20021 Posts
                      Posted: December 10, 2014, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mention that it costs $1 per bet/line. When I say I wheel I don't mean the serious kind. Actually I don't even think it is true wheeling what I do. I start out with a key combo 03 12 17 28 41 44 then replace each number by a number that jumps into my head. So for example a 5 line combo would look like this 

03-12-17-28-41-44

05-12-17-28-41-44

03-11-17-28-41-44

03-12-23-28-41-44

03-12-17-36-41-44

No matter how lucky I feel I never buy more than 5 lines a drawing and also when I am playing Megabucks Doubler I skip MM & PB and all others.

Thumbs Up

I too play our local 6/49 game picking 10 lines using a system but I don't call it wheeling.  I usually end up using 30-35 of the 49 numbers and posting them on the prediction board.

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2014, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

If Megabucks Doubler had jackpots that rose to over $20 like the OCL does I think I'd play 10 lines.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                          Member #161539
                          December 3, 2014
                          328 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2014, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Lots of posts here since this morning ... lots of good reading with new ideas about some games. I have comments and some questions so I am going to put everything in one post to everyone who posted earlier.

RJ0h ... that game Lot'0 Play ... I could not find anything in Google except that it was a $2 game ... you posted 6/100 ... I can't believe that, a person had to pick 6 numbers out of 100 to win ... 49 numbers are hard enough, was it popular, for $2 I don't think I would have been playing unless the lower hits paid a lot of money.

maringoman ... thanks for the example on the wheeling the 6 numbers ... I was wondering how that would be in a 6 number game ... I'd call that wheeling in a way, I sort of do that with the Match 6 in PA if I run my same set of numbers through 2, 3 or 4 times ... I can pick the first line of numbers but I have no control over the numbers on line 2 and 3 ... sometimes I get one of those tickets to be just perfect or the way I wanted it to look with repeat numbers on lines 2 and 3 from my line 1 set of numbers ... and then of course the numbers have to bounce out.

I will usually play tickets for the next 3, 4 or 5 drawings ... that way in case I have a ticket or tickets that I really like with all the numbers then I will have several chances for them to hit something before I have to buy new tickets. I have had that happen ... no money hits on the 1st play but money won on the rest of the draws or plays.

GiveFive ... you never know, maybe Sweet Millions will be back again one day ... people that didn't understand or play the game very much might have some regrets of it being gone. Match 6 came back in PA after two years. I also would have been playing for the top Sweet Millions prize as I do with Match 6 in PA ... the lower prize money is just more ticket money for the top prize.

When the Match 6 jackpot was over 7 million one time I played $100 for 3 drawings in a row and then the jackpot got hit. So I had 50 tickets at $2 and won around $35 for the 1st play, jackpot carried over so the next set of 50 tickets I got back around $65 ... I really had some good tickets in that bunch ... all these tickets I bought were all QPs ... I didn't do any play slips ... the 3rd time I bought 50 tickets, the 7 million + got hit and I only got about $25 back in winnings. I had to try for that 7 million jackpot.

Ron5995 ... maybe I will wait till spring on playing the Cash 5 for 30 days at $5 a day. Want to work the Match 6 and maybe the $5 Monopoly game if it keeps building with more millionaire prizes ... also in the winter, it's hard for me to get to town to get tickets everyday so I play ahead on the Match 6 but not Monopoly ... if there is snow and ice ... playing Quinto is something I may try in the spring when I can get tickets more often.

Some good reading, maybe new ideas for everyone to kick around with their state games.

I still like that Canadian 6/49 game and wish I was near the Canadian border or in Canada ... the idea that lottery winnings are tax free (for Canadians) and the workings of that game really interest me, especially if I lived in Canada. If you have time to go to the Ontario site and read up, its worth some time ... they really jump start that game with $5 million and then more after ... could almost take a year to get a $5 million jackpot in PA.

GLTA

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                            NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3904 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2014, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Did that game have a cap on its payout?  When Ohio had Buckey5(5/37), its top prize was $100,000 with a cap of $1M on payouts.  A player got the idea of buying 15-20 tickets with the same five numbers which worked fine until he matched all five numbers.  He claimed he wasn't aware of the cap when he claimed his prizes but he had to share with another winner so all his match5 tickets were worth ~$60K each instead of the $100K he expected.  He sued the state and the store that sold him all those tickets but the court said he should have read the rules which were on the play slip.

The simple answer to your question is yes, it was capped.

It was "capped" because the JP did not roll, it was a fixed 1 million dollars.  Each and every drawing had a JP of 1 million.  The first five winners of the JP were not pari-mutuel, meaning if five different players each had all six winning numbers, then they'd each receive one million before taxes.  But that never happened once in the entire four and half years the game existed.  I can remember two times when there were two JP winners, and one of those times was when the same guy hit the JP twice with the same set of six numbers using two separate tickets. (He inadvertently used the same play slip at two different convenience stores located in the same town, one block apart.)  After I read about it, I realized I could do the same thing by playing two identical lines on one ticket.  It was my own version of PB's PowerPlay, except it cost me two bucks instead of 3 as in PB, and the odds were 3.8 million to 1 as opposed to PB's 5 million to 1.  I could have won the same amount of money (2 million) with lower odds and at a lower cost than playing PB with the PowerPlay.

If there were more than five JP winners (which also never happened) then the JP would have been split evenly among all of the winners. For the vast majority of drawings, there was no JP winner.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              20021 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2014, 10:54 am - IP Logged

If Megabucks Doubler had jackpots that rose to over $20 like the OCL does I think I'd play 10 lines.

It all depends on your playing strategy, for some players one line is enough and for others 20 lines is not.

Evil Looking