Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Was Not Created For Poor People To Play

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #106134
February 13, 2011
806 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2014, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Even if one is poor, there are still ways they can easily afford a few MM or PB tickets here and there.

An older guy I know collects aluminum cans and other scrap metal and sells it to buy some lottery tickets.  He's not really losing anything by doing that.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2014, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets are as affordable as a six pack, a pack of cigarettes or a bottle of wine and yet nobody says they weren't created for poor people.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23274 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2014, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Lots of great commentary here.  Just goes to show that any thread has the opportunity to become great.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #128790
        June 2, 2012
        5431 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2014, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets are as affordable as a six pack, a pack of cigarettes or a bottle of wine and yet nobody says they weren't created for poor people.

True, but when I pay for cigs, beer, weed and/or wine, I IMMEDIATELY get what I paid for, but when I spend money on tickets with a mindset filled with unrealistic expectations, I just spent hard earned money on a chance, and not a very good one to say the least.

I feel more gratified when I purchase tangible things, as opposed to pieces of paper that most likely will never benefit me because of the high odds against me winning the JP. 

Unless I have a system that is grounded in success, it's futile to consistently throw money away.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2014, 12:53 am - IP Logged

True, but when I pay for cigs, beer, weed and/or wine, I IMMEDIATELY get what I paid for, but when I spend money on tickets with a mindset filled with unrealistic expectations, I just spent hard earned money on a chance, and not a very good one to say the least.

I feel more gratified when I purchase tangible things, as opposed to pieces of paper that most likely will never benefit me because of the high odds against me winning the JP. 

Unless I have a system that is grounded in success, it's futile to consistently throw money away.

"when I pay for cigs, beer, weed and/or wine, I IMMEDIATELY get what I paid for"

When you buy a lottery ticket you're only buying a chance to win a prize, most players know that.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Ft. Washington, MD
            United States
            Member #159267
            September 20, 2014
            123 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Interesting thread going here......lol

Less than 30% of lottery players are low income (<$30,000). The presumption that poor people spend more on the lottery is flat-out wrong, but don't take my word for it, ask your lottery for their demographic study. Popular media likes to say so, but statistically-speaking, it just isn't all that true. Judging by percent of income is a tricky subject....you could also say poor people spend a larger percent of income on rent, alcohol, video games, food, ink pens, diapers, yada-yada. They spend a higher percentage of income on everything.

Lottery expenditures aren't related to income, but education. Those who didn't graduate high school spend about 4-5 times more than any other education group. The median wager decreases as education increases, which isn't much of surprise. Income is also linked to education*, but education is the higher correlation to lottery spending (logically, you can still get higher education with low income). So instead of saying poor people spend more, we should be saying stupid/uneducated people spend more. But that ruffles too many feathers. I think most people would prefer to be called poor than stupid Smile

As far as people playing games that cost $X, they all can make their own choices. Those who spend recklessly will go broke no matter what games they play.

*I grew up in a below-poverty household, was homeless for a time, but now have 2 college degrees. So income has very little to do with education.

LM, hey i gotta agree with you on this one. I can see you are being assertive and not overly aggressive. Sure you may be right that it is the uneducated class that has a higher percentage of lottery players.The educated class does not play as much because they have higher incomes.Middle class and working class people are the bulk of frequent players i am sure, because i am one of them and i see a lot more like me play the lotteries. The poor are a step down from the working poor, who may actually be the working class. Their earning power varies across the board and it tells them how much they can  afford to gamble or not.  I don't believe much of the working class poor would do things to drive them bankrupt. i know many well to do folks say they don't need to gamble. But then again some do but in small amounts.

And LM i didn't get selected for the game show but thats ok i just keep on truckin til i get lucky and strike it big.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2014, 2:41 am - IP Logged

What is now the Pick 3 run by the states started out as 'policy' in the poorer sections of towns and the bet was 5 cents.

Gambling appeals to the poor and the working class because it's really the only hope they have of ever making a really big score.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                Texas
                United States
                Member #150797
                December 31, 2013
                815 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2014, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Poor people have the same right to choose as people with more money.  Their choices may be more limited, but they still have the right to make them.  If they want to eat rice & beans every day and enjoy a beer or buy a lottery ticket once in a while, that is their choice. 

Even if they are on benefits.  Once they have qualified for assistance that money is theirs and they can spend it however they see fit.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United States
                  Member #106134
                  February 13, 2011
                  806 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2014, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I would say the spending is probably spread out evenly among all income groups.  The rich can certainly buy way more tickets, but buying more tickets really doesn't help.

A person could buy $2,500 worth of Mega Millions tickets each drawing for the next 25 years and never win anything significant.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5611 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2014, 9:19 am - IP Logged

I've heard that phrase for years that poor people play more. I'm about as middle class as you can get, my wife and I make good money. But we are like most other middle class people in that we're stuck with just trying to pay off bills, get kids through college and wondering if we will ever get to retire and live comfortably.

I play because it's fun for me, and....it really is the only way I will ever have a shot at retiring comfortably. Having said that, I am fully aware of the odds and reality of winning a jackpot.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #85037
                      January 7, 2010
                      252 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2014, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Just curious, if you feel so strongly (also as indicated in your signature) that the lottery is a waste why even come here?  You probably won't change anyone's mind here and cause them to stop playing.

bigguy5's avatar - peace
                        charlotte.n.c
                        United States
                        Member #37585
                        April 17, 2006
                        365 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2014, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Dance THRIFTY , I like  your avatar. Darth Vader , very impressive . "Luke I am your Father".

I agree that the poor spend less on the lottery then the higher wage earners. Thanks for setting us straight.

both  of you  are  wrong  ;;   i  am  seventy  nine   ,   poor   people  were  playing        numbers  when  there  were   no  lottery,  right  now  in  some     state   ,  they  spend  wefare  checks on  lottery  and  that  a fact,  you  go  by  what  state  you  live in,   i use  be  a  truck  driver   i  know.

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2014, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Just curious, if you feel so strongly (also as indicated in your signature) that the lottery is a waste why even come here?  You probably won't change anyone's mind here and cause them to stop playing.

I enjoy coming here to share ideas about the p-3 game.

The other reason, being that based on the time I've spent here, there seems to be a lot more people than I thought who don't fully grasp the odds against them winning a major JP in their lifetime. So maybe, just maybe I can save some people from financial ruin by enlightening them.

I'm willing to bet there are thousands who waste 20-30 dollars, or more a week on the PB and MM, and barely can afford it on such a futile effort, when they can bank that money instead. 

One can only throw the facts out there, and it's up to the reader to decide whether they care about FACTS, or not. I never told anyone they should stop playing, I only point out that it's futile. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head. If they want to waste their money, let them.

I have a co-worker who spends about 50 dollars a week. Even after I told her about the FACTS, she still doesn't care. She's another one of those multitudes who KNOWS FOR SURE she will win the PB one day. Thud

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2014, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

What is now the Pick 3 run by the states started out as 'policy' in the poorer sections of towns and the bet was 5 cents.

Gambling appeals to the poor and the working class because it's really the only hope they have of ever making a really big score.

Called Policy B/C it was "mandatory" in some towns ?

or was that a takeoff on insurance policy ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7318 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2014, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Called Policy B/C it was "mandatory" in some towns ?

or was that a takeoff on insurance policy ?

That was the game for the poor because players could bet a dime to win $60 or a nickel to win $30. But it just wasn't for the poor because other players were betting hundreds. When the pick-3 games started, the bookies offered the same bets and same odds using the state lottery's pick-3 drawing results. There was no problems paying winners and I personally watched a runner paying $12,000 at 7:00 AM.