Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Was Not Created For Poor People To Play

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7295 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2014, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

If people are using their EBT cards to buy lottery tickets then they are being aided by merchants who are making money doing it. They probably are the ones also making money by discounting their winning tickets.

Some stores will take debit cards for lottery tickets and some won't and if an EBT card is used as a debit card, they can be used for payment. I was told there are different types of EBT cards and the one I saw being used to purchase lottery tickets probably had a pin and could be used get cash.

I have no idea of how the public assistance system works, but based on some of the purchases I see using EBT cards, some people are getting too much.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19816 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2014, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Some stores will take debit cards for lottery tickets and some won't and if an EBT card is used as a debit card, they can be used for payment. I was told there are different types of EBT cards and the one I saw being used to purchase lottery tickets probably had a pin and could be used get cash.

I have no idea of how the public assistance system works, but based on some of the purchases I see using EBT cards, some people are getting too much.

As I understand it in Ohio all lottery tickets transactions are supposed to be done in cash and sales are final after leaving the place of purchase.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7295 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2014, 2:20 am - IP Logged

As I understand it in Ohio all lottery tickets transactions are supposed to be done in cash and sales are final after leaving the place of purchase.

It probably depends on the store in KY because I was told both ways. Had I not saw someone purchase scratch-offs with an EBT card, I wouldn't think that was possible either.