Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto 6/49. How many numbers will there be left if you remove all funny patterns?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Singapore
Member #161709
December 8, 2014
26 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2014, 10:42 am - IP Logged

In lottery 6/49, I always hear the fact that EVERY combination is possible. That 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is just as likely to occur as 12, 19, 23, 24, 33, 45.

But I always had this belief, if you ask me to choose between those two and assure me one of them will win, I will choose the latter. Because yes, while it is equally possible for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to win, but it is less realistic to expect it to. That is because (I believe) there are more random looking combinations than the otherwise, so statistically, random looking results will occur almost all the time.

Now, everytime I hear people saying to buy ALL combinations. I always felt that is really stupid, not because of the usual reasons, but why would you buy all the funny combinations that won't hit? Why not remove all of them to waste less money, and be left with all the reasonably random looking combinations? Unless somehow you believe you're ed enough that on that very day you decided to spend millions of dollar on the lottery, that's the day the results came out funny.

So anyway, my quest here is, how would you go about discovering, defining and removing from the pool all the combinations with funny patterns? What qualifies for funny patterns would be...

Sequentials : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Odd/even : 11, 23, 27, 33, 39, 47
Same range : 21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 29
Multiples : 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42
Additions : 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Others : 12, 21, 23, 32, 34, 43
Others : 7, 17, 27, 37, 47, 49
Others : 4, 11, 22, 33, 44, 48

Let's also include results that have appeared in the history of the lottery, let's say about 3000 results since it started.
Also, note that as long as more than 2 numbers are in a pattern, the result qualifies to be removed
Meaning even something like, 4, 7, 20, 33, 34, 35 qualifies to be removed.
Another example would be, 13, 31, 14, 41, 23, 32. They are in different groups of patterns but it still makes it unlikely.

Well, I don't know what else to add, let me know if I missed something out.

So yeah, how many combinations would be left if you removed all these?
Would it be just 1% of 13 million? Or could it actually be about half?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately what you believe isn't worth crap, it what you know that counts.  I've only studied one 6/49 game and it's the one I play.  I've read several of your posts about 6/49 games and so far nothing you've mentioned come close to being true for Ohio's Classic Lotto(6/49), the game I play. 

I can only conclude that the 649 game you're playing is unique or you've never played or studied a 649 game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Singapore
      Member #161709
      December 8, 2014
      26 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately what you believe isn't worth crap, it what you know that counts.  I've only studied one 6/49 game and it's the one I play.  I've read several of your posts about 6/49 games and so far nothing you've mentioned come close to being true for Ohio's Classic Lotto(6/49), the game I play. 

I can only conclude that the 649 game you're playing is unique or you've never played or studied a 649 game.

It's probably not unique, but I would admit I'm just a newbie in general, still pretty young and I'm not a math person. I'm also not intending to get into math just to play the lottery, right now I'm just using very basic logic to go by and would gladly be proven wrong by someone more knowledgable about my logic.

What I'm basing my "belief" on is the fact that I can run a random number generator 100 times and maybe 5 times I'll see something like 10, 11, 12, 13, 27, 40. Maybe I'll go as far as to say it's common sense and I don't have to come up with a formula of proof that "random looking" numbers are way more than non random looking numbers to go by that.

Just a side question, I don't want to start a new topic. But can any of you really show that just going by solid math alone, you're really winning more or losing less than others? Somehow I don't trust the facts that are so obviously true to be something to rely on. What I mean by this is illustrated in this very topic, just because every number is mathematically equally possible, it doesn't make sense that someone will be as confident getting "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" on their quick pick. The fact that there's more to this than just plain arithmetics is quite apparent to me actually.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

It's probably not unique, but I would admit I'm just a newbie in general, still pretty young and I'm not a math person. I'm also not intending to get into math just to play the lottery, right now I'm just using very basic logic to go by and would gladly be proven wrong by someone more knowledgable about my logic.

What I'm basing my "belief" on is the fact that I can run a random number generator 100 times and maybe 5 times I'll see something like 10, 11, 12, 13, 27, 40. Maybe I'll go as far as to say it's common sense and I don't have to come up with a formula of proof that "random looking" numbers are way more than non random looking numbers to go by that.

Just a side question, I don't want to start a new topic. But can any of you really show that just going by solid math alone, you're really winning more or losing less than others? Somehow I don't trust the facts that are so obviously true to be something to rely on. What I mean by this is illustrated in this very topic, just because every number is mathematically equally possible, it doesn't make sense that someone will be as confident getting "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" on their quick pick. The fact that there's more to this than just plain arithmetics is quite apparent to me actually.

Why run a RNG when you can download the actual history of 649 lotteries?  Ohio Classic Lotto has had 1236 drawings since it started and I'm comparing what you post to that list.  LP has the history all US games and some of the games from other countries.  The facts are there, they don't have to be debated.

**Note: There is a thread started by a guy from your area of the world who claims he's matching 3 and 4 all the time, you might check his post.

Evil Looking       

Singapore
          Member #161709
          December 8, 2014
          26 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Why run a RNG when you can download the actual history of 649 lotteries?  Ohio Classic Lotto has had 1236 drawings since it started and I'm comparing what you post to that list.  LP has the history all US games and some of the games from other countries.  The facts are there, they don't have to be debated.

**Note: There is a thread started by a guy from your area of the world who claims he's matching 3 and 4 all the time, you might check his post.

If it helps, I was going to type "I looked at the history of my lottery" but realized that may sound too bias towards just one example, so I rephrased it to using a RNG (because I did just use the one from random dot org just to convince myself further). In any case, are you implying that Ohio Classic Lotto's results have funny patterns frequently or something?

In any case, regarding my belief that there are more random looking numbers... seems like a long stretch but do you think there's a way to find that out for sure using math? Opposed to going through all 13 million combinations and picking them out one by one.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19900 Posts
            Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:45 am - IP Logged

If it helps, I was going to type "I looked at the history of my lottery" but realized that may sound too bias towards just one example, so I rephrased it to using a RNG (because I did just use the one from random dot org just to convince myself further). In any case, are you implying that Ohio Classic Lotto's results have funny patterns frequently or something?

In any case, regarding my belief that there are more random looking numbers... seems like a long stretch but do you think there's a way to find that out for sure using math? Opposed to going through all 13 million combinations and picking them out one by one.

I have no way of defining funny patterns for any lottery let alone those of Classic Lotto.  If you do for your lottery then good luck and I hope you win a big jackpot.

Evil Looking       

Singapore
              Member #161709
              December 8, 2014
              26 Posts
              Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Replying to your edit, that guy is me. I had to create a new account, and well, not all the time, just been happening for the last 7 draws in a row since I started picking numbers over quick pick. I noticed you questioned me in that thread but overlooked replying to you as I actually explained it in a prior post that you probably missed, and it wasn't really important anyway, but sorry about that.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2014, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

649 lotto games have 1:12M odds so removing a few combos is akin buying extra tickets thinking you're improving your odds. TBH you are but not by much.

I love 649 games so I'm interested in your threads newtolottoagain. The strategy that I prefer most is choosing 4 key numbers and filling the 2 positions with random numbers. I can across this strategy while reading Cash 5 strategies right here in LP. Thumbs Up Good luck. Let's win this $$

That money's gone fo ever