Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PA Raffle Countdown to 500,000 ...

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 2 years ago by chris-chase.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2014, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I just bought my second raffle ticket for the Jan 03 drawing ... I thought it might be interesting for people to post their ticket numbers if they buy a raffle ticket. This will only be for PA players of course and anybody from the surrounding states driving into PA to buy a ticket.

I bought my first raffle for this drawing on Dec 08 with the number 97,450 and today ... ten days later I bought my second ticket numbered 174,168.

So in ten days they sold 76,718 additional tickets since I bought one on Dec 08 ... so they still have 325,832 tickets to sell before the Jan 03 drawing ... that's a lot of tickets still to be sold in 17 days.

I was only planning on buying two tickets this go around but in ten days on Dec 28 ... I will buy one more ticket.

So if others would care to post what ticket number printed for them from today on ... we can watch the count change and if anyone was thinking of driving to PA to buy some tickets, you have an idea where the ticket count is and how quick you should make the trip.

GLTA

CW

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2014, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to Phoenixville  this week, how much are the tix ?

what happens if they don't sell enough tix. ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Chris$'s avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
      P A
      United States
      Member #117331
      October 3, 2011
      6916 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2014, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

$20 each and they sell out everytime.

They sell more than half of them in the last 3-4 days from what ive seen in The past.

Good luck. Getting mine after Christmas.

♠♣♥♦= $$$$

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3695 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2014, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

$20 each and they sell out everytime.

They sell more than half of them in the last 3-4 days from what ive seen in The past.

Good luck. Getting mine after Christmas.

Agreed.  I've observed a similar situation with Connecticut's "SuperDraw" raffle.  It's held twice per year, (New Year's Day and The 4th of July) tickets cost $10, with a maximum of 275,000 to be sold, and the top prize is one million dollars for one winner. It seems that ticket sales are slow when they first go on sale (in October) but they take off starting around Xmas Eve.  I'm told sales are brisk during the New Years Eve week.  By 12/31 they usually sell out.

The CT 4th of July raffle is a different story, especially last summer's.  For whatever reason, they did NOT sell out and only about one-half of the available tickets were sold.  From a player's standpoint that's great!  I'm not so sure The State of Connecticut was very happy about that.

I run a pool at work, there's 8 of us in it, and we bought 8 SuperDraw tickets in October.  We were going to buy another 16 of them, (for a total of 24) but when I learned of the PA Millionaire Raffle, I told the guys about it and we decided to switch to the PA raffle.  I drove over to PA, and bought them in November.  I live about the same distance from PA as I do Connecticut (an hour's drive) so it didn't matter to me whether I went to east CT or west to PA.

We like the PA raffle better than CT's and will be switching over to that next summer.  CT's raffle is one ticket for one chance for the single top prize of a million.  Although PA's are 20 bucks each we think 125,000 to 1 odds blows away CT's 275,000 to 1.  We decided that we're going to buy 16 tickets next summer.  That's 40 bucks for each guy in the pool, but we each were spending 30 bucks for CT's raffle tix anyway, so we don't mind the extra ten bucks for a total of 64 chances at a million dollars as opposed to 24 chances at that same prize for 30 bucks.  That extra ten bucks each of us has to pony up gives us 40 more chances at a million.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Wyomissing, PA
          United States
          Member #161050
          November 15, 2014
          301 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2014, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

If sales are coming in way below projections, they might discount them by a dollar or two. However, the PA Lottery has only ever done that once many years ago when they expanded the raffle from 500,000 to 625,000 tickets - they sold them out, barely. They went back to 500,000. Most likely, as Chris$ points out, they'll sell out in time. However, it does seem the sales are running a bit slower than I recall in past years. Though, many players wait until near the end; some intentionally spread out their purchases for more diverse raffle numbers.

If one is fixated on the million dollar prize only, then another option is to play the same 5-digit number straight 20 times ($20 worth) in Quinto, which is held twice per day, every day of the year, instead - that too, by playing $20 worth on the same number, pays $1 million with better odds than the raffle. Though playing Quinto that way would be all or none with only a 1 in 100,000 chance of winning. The overall payout percentage of both the raffle and Quinto are roughly 50%, so both are about the same value, but the PA Lottery raffle overall odds are roughly 1 in 83 of winning $100, $1,000, $100K, or $1 million, which is a more entertaining, realistic way to play in hopes of winning a million.

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2014, 1:01 am - IP Logged

If sales are coming in way below projections, they might discount them by a dollar or two. However, the PA Lottery has only ever done that once many years ago when they expanded the raffle from 500,000 to 625,000 tickets - they sold them out, barely. They went back to 500,000. Most likely, as Chris$ points out, they'll sell out in time. However, it does seem the sales are running a bit slower than I recall in past years. Though, many players wait until near the end; some intentionally spread out their purchases for more diverse raffle numbers.

If one is fixated on the million dollar prize only, then another option is to play the same 5-digit number straight 20 times ($20 worth) in Quinto, which is held twice per day, every day of the year, instead - that too, by playing $20 worth on the same number, pays $1 million with better odds than the raffle. Though playing Quinto that way would be all or none with only a 1 in 100,000 chance of winning. The overall payout percentage of both the raffle and Quinto are roughly 50%, so both are about the same value, but the PA Lottery raffle overall odds are roughly 1 in 83 of winning $100, $1,000, $100K, or $1 million, which is a more entertaining, realistic way to play in hopes of winning a million.

GiveFive ... that's a great idea with the raffle pool and since the driving distance doesn't seem to matter either way ... to Conn or PA, then go with the odds. I have played every PA raffle since it started, with a couple of tickets one year from the Michigan raffle ... have never won even the lower prize, $100. I go with the odds but it's still tough to make a buck.

As in any game ... I'm sure there have been many people who have never played the lottery or bought a raffle ticket before and won something on their first shot. There are 5,892 chances to win $100 ... the overall game odds are good but even winning $100 is not so easy.

That's was my thinking when I bought the 25 raffle tickets many years ago ... surely $100 will come my way, well it didn't. I still play with hope ... just do it with less tickets.

Ron5995 ... I also thought early sales were lagging ... I waited till Dec 08 thinking as in years past, the ticket number would be around 120,000, give or take ... I was shocked to see sales still under 100,000. I hope we get a few ticket numbers posted along the way, will be able to see how sales are going into the final days ... I always said I never want the very first ticket or the last ticket. Somewhere in between ... the first and last number have never hit to my knowledge ... it means nothing, someday they will, just a mindset.

CW

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3695 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2014, 4:25 am - IP Logged

GiveFive ... that's a great idea with the raffle pool and since the driving distance doesn't seem to matter either way ... to Conn or PA, then go with the odds. I have played every PA raffle since it started, with a couple of tickets one year from the Michigan raffle ... have never won even the lower prize, $100. I go with the odds but it's still tough to make a buck.

As in any game ... I'm sure there have been many people who have never played the lottery or bought a raffle ticket before and won something on their first shot. There are 5,892 chances to win $100 ... the overall game odds are good but even winning $100 is not so easy.

That's was my thinking when I bought the 25 raffle tickets many years ago ... surely $100 will come my way, well it didn't. I still play with hope ... just do it with less tickets.

Ron5995 ... I also thought early sales were lagging ... I waited till Dec 08 thinking as in years past, the ticket number would be around 120,000, give or take ... I was shocked to see sales still under 100,000. I hope we get a few ticket numbers posted along the way, will be able to see how sales are going into the final days ... I always said I never want the very first ticket or the last ticket. Somewhere in between ... the first and last number have never hit to my knowledge ... it means nothing, someday they will, just a mindset.

CW

CW ...  I don't mean to make you feel bad, but our pool has won $100 twice in the CT raffle!  Did it for the second time last summer.

Last week, I called my daughter who goes to college in CT, and I asked her to pick up two raffle tickets for me when she came home for the Xmas break.  When she arrived home with them early this week I was very surprised to see that they were in the 48,600 range.  I was expecting to see numbers on them that were well over 100,000.

To my mind, raffles are the best value and make the most sense when it comes to playing the lottery.  The guys in the pool all feel the same way. We'd each rather throw away 30 or 40 bucks to try and win something that we have a decent shot at  winning, than waste it playing PB or MM. 

The first time I bought CT tickets for the pool, (I bought 8) the lady in the gas station looked at me and said "That's 80 dollars."  Judging from the look on her face and the tone in her voice, it was apparent to me that she was thinking that I might not have known they were 10 bucks each, and she was just trying to be helpful by warning me about the cost before she punched them into her lottery terminal.

I told her that I was aware of that, laid 80 bucks on the counter, and said "It's my office pool."

She then said; "Well, aren't you the smart one.  You can win this.  It' not like that MM where the odds are ridiculous."  There had just been a MM drawing where the JP was about 500 million and people had been going berzerk buying MM.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2014, 8:42 am - IP Logged

CW ...  I don't mean to make you feel bad, but our pool has won $100 twice in the CT raffle!  Did it for the second time last summer.

Last week, I called my daughter who goes to college in CT, and I asked her to pick up two raffle tickets for me when she came home for the Xmas break.  When she arrived home with them early this week I was very surprised to see that they were in the 48,600 range.  I was expecting to see numbers on them that were well over 100,000.

To my mind, raffles are the best value and make the most sense when it comes to playing the lottery.  The guys in the pool all feel the same way. We'd each rather throw away 30 or 40 bucks to try and win something that we have a decent shot at  winning, than waste it playing PB or MM. 

The first time I bought CT tickets for the pool, (I bought 8) the lady in the gas station looked at me and said "That's 80 dollars."  Judging from the look on her face and the tone in her voice, it was apparent to me that she was thinking that I might not have known they were 10 bucks each, and she was just trying to be helpful by warning me about the cost before she punched them into her lottery terminal.

I told her that I was aware of that, laid 80 bucks on the counter, and said "It's my office pool."

She then said; "Well, aren't you the smart one.  You can win this.  It' not like that MM where the odds are ridiculous."  There had just been a MM drawing where the JP was about 500 million and people had been going berzerk buying MM.  G5

No I don't feel bad at all ... I like to hear a winning story. I will tell you the truth ... if it were handy for me I would also play the raffle in both CT and PA. I always like to check out the odds of this game or that game but odds probably mean nothing in the end with lottery games ... it's all luck. So the raffle odds are a bit better in PA but you won in CT !!!

If I lived on the PA border with ten states close by and they all had a state raffle, I would buy a ticket(s) from all the states.

So if you have hit something in CT in the past then maybe you need to cover both states and any other states you can get to. Cover all the bases ... I'm really not terribly sad about never winning $100 in the raffle ... it would be nice but I'm not after $100 ... my disappointment is more not winning the larger prize ... after all, I didn't spend $20 to win $100 or even $1000 ... I want the million dollars.

... as for CT ticket sales lagging, hopefully they will pick up ... I used to worry that when the luster of the raffle game in PA faded after a few years ... the lottery might cancel the game, but people driving into PA to buy tickets also helps ... I know some people who drive from VA to buy the tickets.

However, this year seems a little slow in the first part of Dec but they are probably picking up in the final days.

CW

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: December 20, 2014, 11:41 am - IP Logged

This time I'm not getting any because I didn't go to PA for thanksgiving. I hope you guys win big Cheers

That money's gone fo ever

Pa
                    United States
                    Member #162117
                    December 22, 2014
                    85 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2014, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I bought a ticket this AM,  number was just over 226000. Only 12 days left,  seem a bit further behind than Last year.  I know these are given as gifts for Christmas so i expect a bump in sales this week.  Does anybody know what happens if all 500k tickets are not sold?  Does the Pa lottery buy the remaining tickets or something else?  I wonder if they will discount them first to boost sales?   I know they sell like hot cakes the last week of sales.

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3695 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2014, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

I bought a ticket this AM,  number was just over 226000. Only 12 days left,  seem a bit further behind than Last year.  I know these are given as gifts for Christmas so i expect a bump in sales this week.  Does anybody know what happens if all 500k tickets are not sold?  Does the Pa lottery buy the remaining tickets or something else?  I wonder if they will discount them first to boost sales?   I know they sell like hot cakes the last week of sales.

I was over in Connecticut last Saturday,,,  I had to go over there to pick something up.  I couldn't resist the temptation of buying another SuperDraw ticket, so I bought one.  Actually, it was more curiosity than temptation.  I wanted to see how they were selling.  I was pleasantly shocked to see that my ticket number was in the 65,000's. 

With only 9 days to go, I cant see them selling 110,000 more of them.   I doubt they're going to sell out.

Glad to see PA's aren't further along than they are too.  I love it when the odds go down.   G5

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2014, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I was over in Connecticut last Saturday,,,  I had to go over there to pick something up.  I couldn't resist the temptation of buying another SuperDraw ticket, so I bought one.  Actually, it was more curiosity than temptation.  I wanted to see how they were selling.  I was pleasantly shocked to see that my ticket number was in the 65,000's. 

With only 9 days to go, I cant see them selling 110,000 more of them.   I doubt they're going to sell out.

Glad to see PA's aren't further along than they are too.  I love it when the odds go down.   G5

Idaho's Raffle has nine more days to go as well and has 80,984 tickets left.  I bought one just to be in it. I'm wondering if they will sell out this year.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Wyomissing, PA
                          United States
                          Member #161050
                          November 15, 2014
                          301 Posts
                          Posted: December 22, 2014, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

If memory serves me correctly, peak sales will be in the 20K-30K per day range the final few days. Even at 20,000 tickets sold everyday from here on out, sales will come short. PA Lottery will do its darnedest to avoid that; running more ads, and, as a last resort, discounting raffle tickets by a dollar or two.

My hunch is the lower pace of sales is due to a few things: competition from casinos, etc - more gaming choices than ever, the economy, and player fatigue - many have played the raffle numerous times in the past, and won little to nothing; lack of excitement.

The ~50% overall payout percentage limits options for changing the raffle. A simple change that would boost number of winners while still making it worthwhile to play is reducing or eliminating the $100K prizes, reducing or eliminating the $1,000 prizes, and shift those prize allocations towards $500 prizes and more $100 prizes...

In short, with some adjustments to the lower tier prizes, they could easily double the number of prizes available to be won. 1 in ~83 overall odds is lousy considering the $20 ticket price. With 1 in 40ish odds, while still not ideal, more would win, generate more excitement; bringing in more players, and boosting sales for other PA lottery games too.

And, if they raised the overall payout percentage to 70%-75%, similar to that of $20 instant tickets, they could improve the overall odds of winning to better than in 1 in 20 - that would definitely get people playing. Fun to dream anyways. In the meantime, personally, when going for the $million, I'll stick with $20 instant tickets and Quinto ($20 on the same number straight). I've yet to buy a raffle ticket, though may buy one or two before the end.

Pa
                            United States
                            Member #162117
                            December 22, 2014
                            85 Posts
                            Posted: December 22, 2014, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Interesting thoughts Ron, thanks for sharing.  Say they don’t sell all their tickets, for example only 450K are sold, does the lotto buy the remaining 50K, or is the raffle drawn with 450K as the limit and thus increasing the odds of winning?  People would scream conspiracy if the lotto bought the remaining tickets and one of the 1 million dollar prizes was in that final 50K range.  If I think they will be discounted, I should probably hold off to the New Year to buy anymore to save some cash.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: December 23, 2014, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Can't make it to Pa, so I'll be giving CT and Virginia raffles a try this year. VA is only selling 330k tickets so it's a good chance to win something. GL