Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Changed My Life...

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 2 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1181 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2015, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

She shared the jackpot among her brother and father equally. It left her with 22m and change after taxes. She has 4 children and a high maintenance toy boy soon to be husband. The dude is smiling from ear to ear. He seems more excited about what the money can do more than her.

Cynthia loved the spotlight, which is why her suddenly falling off the radar for the last few years is odd. Every time there was a big jp she was giving interviews on any tv show that would have her. Now you can't find anything new on her. Her webpage, Twitter and Facebook accounts haven't been updated in years and there's nothing new happening with her production company. Either she's running out of money and keeping a low profile or she's discovered the dangers of flaunting that money.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2015, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Cynthia loved the spotlight, which is why her suddenly falling off the radar for the last few years is odd. Every time there was a big jp she was giving interviews on any tv show that would have her. Now you can't find anything new on her. Her webpage, Twitter and Facebook accounts haven't been updated in years and there's nothing new happening with her production company. Either she's running out of money and keeping a low profile or she's discovered the dangers of flaunting that money.

I agree! I am hoping all is well and that the family is still going strong. Lots of children to take care of and put through college. I was curious about her production company as well, but not getting much on that either. As you suggested, she might be playing it low keyed and trying to re-strategize with whatever remains if her win-fall.

Thankfully Richard Lustwig still graces the networks with his vast wealth of expertise as a serial jackpot winner - Jester

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1181 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2015, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I would'nt call it hypocritical, it just reinforces the notion that you would rather be anonymous,

I watched that TV show Hoarders, and then wanted to clean my basement, garage and home office, not as bad as a hoarder of course

but I still got rid of some unnessasary clutter.

Seen a video clip today on yahoo news, a JP winner of 18 MILs named Alex Snelius,

I think I seen him on LCML but could'nt remember which ep.

He's the guy that donates $100 to some charity every time the white sox get a home run. Illinois maybe ?

He won that back in 2000 and said it's a curse, he still gets mail asking him for $ 15 years later.

I guess it never stops.

Yes, I saw him on the news on Thursday. He was very emphatic that it was a curse, but his reasons for saying it was a curse weren't really sound.

He loaned out $3 million to friends and family and they never paid him back and apparently some even filed bankruptcy to get out of paying him. That's unfortunate but I don't see how that's a curse. It's not like he was kidnapped or murdered for his money. Simple rule is don't loan out or invest more than you can afford to lose.

Plus if he really wants strangers to stop contacting him for money he needs to stop doing shows and interviews telling everyone he won the lottery.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
        Member #141034
        April 2, 2013
        1406 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

That camera hog Richard Lustig also made an appearance today. What a ham. Remember him?

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-lustig-lottery-tips-2012-3

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
          Member #118609
          November 4, 2011
          930 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2015, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

He was on the news recently?  I havent found anything with recent news on past lottery winners.  I did find one that said Cynthia did marry the fitness instructor however.

As for the win being a curse, how about it being a curse because of their own bad choices?  I am not surprised loans were not paid back, it has been said before, they feel the winner has so much money, they wont miss it and dont need it, therefore dont feel obligated to repay, but filing bk to avoid repayment is just low.....and this is family and friends? 

Enjoyed watching The Lottery Changed My Life but afterwards I went to the movies to see American Sniper.  The theatre was packed, it was a brutal movie but so well done by Clint Eastwood as usual.  Chris Kyle is a true hero, and the movie was exceptional.   Hope my post doesnt get removed for off topic?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2015, 2:15 am - IP Logged

lejardin,

Just do a search on the web for Alex Snelius and look for a hit on Advice to winners.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1181 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2015, 8:26 am - IP Logged

He was on the news recently?  I havent found anything with recent news on past lottery winners.  I did find one that said Cynthia did marry the fitness instructor however.

As for the win being a curse, how about it being a curse because of their own bad choices?  I am not surprised loans were not paid back, it has been said before, they feel the winner has so much money, they wont miss it and dont need it, therefore dont feel obligated to repay, but filing bk to avoid repayment is just low.....and this is family and friends? 

Enjoyed watching The Lottery Changed My Life but afterwards I went to the movies to see American Sniper.  The theatre was packed, it was a brutal movie but so well done by Clint Eastwood as usual.  Chris Kyle is a true hero, and the movie was exceptional.   Hope my post doesnt get removed for off topic?

Frankly, I just think there's something off about Alex's way of thinking. Perhaps his grief has addled his brain. 

The most contradictory thing about this guy is that he still plays. Though he claims if he wins again he'll be donating the entire win to charity. Yeah right. He's telling everyone who will listen not to play because it's a curse to win and yet, he's hoping for a second win. And the kicker, he still has some of his winnings left. Why not just donate that to charity now?

I was empathetic towards him when I first saw him, now I agree with him in that I too wish he'd never won. He's moping around saying what a horrible experience winning millions is, while still keeping that cursed money and still playing. If something is a curse you get rid of it and you certainly don't put yourself in a position to repeat the experience.

He might actually be touched in the head.Crazy

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                Augusta, Georgia
                United States
                Member #127854
                May 10, 2012
                81 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2015, 3:31 am - IP Logged

I have it automatically DVR'd.  I love watching it. I am curious about the situation where the fellow got ripped off by the clerk who told him he had won $2 when he actually won a million dollars.  The lottery officials contacted him and told him, but how did they know and what made them check into it?  How did they know who to notify as the actual winner? If I ever let a clerk check my ticket I always ask for it back.  That was a really nasty thing for that clerk to do! I hope he gets caught and spends lots of years locked up...

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:15 am - IP Logged

I have it automatically DVR'd.  I love watching it. I am curious about the situation where the fellow got ripped off by the clerk who told him he had won $2 when he actually won a million dollars.  The lottery officials contacted him and told him, but how did they know and what made them check into it?  How did they know who to notify as the actual winner? If I ever let a clerk check my ticket I always ask for it back.  That was a really nasty thing for that clerk to do! I hope he gets caught and spends lots of years locked up...

I think your talking about Willis Willis(Texas). He was able to get some of the money and moved to Arizona I believe to be close to his daughter who was in college. I don't know if they ever caught the clerk he moved back to his native country.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4102 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Cannot recall the name of the late jackpot winner who left absolutely nothing to his stepdaughter but wasn't shy in going ahead and purchasing $200K worth of medieval armor and the like.From what I heard, he died penniless. How sad. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                      Member #118609
                      November 4, 2011
                      930 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2015, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Cannot recall the name of the late jackpot winner who left absolutely nothing to his stepdaughter but wasn't shy in going ahead and purchasing $200K worth of medieval armor and the like.From what I heard, he died penniless. How sad. 

That was David Lee Edwards from Kentucky and truly a sad story.  David married his girlfriend and they both had a very bad drug problem, you can only guess the outcome from there.  Lots of drugs for his friends, some of which overdosed and died.

To me his story was the most tragic.  He did hire a financial advisor who said after David's death, had he followed his advice and invested the $27 million he could have lived off the interest alone of $83,000 a MONTH.  Who in their right mind could not live off that kind of money?  I would not have put all my eggs in one basket but would surely "suffer through living off" a monthly income close to that lol.

He moved to Florida and bought a mansion, filled it with all that armour stuff, had multiple, very expensive cars and neighbors complained it looked like a car lot.  Never paid his HOA fees and things escalated from there and he lost the home.

He health declined over the years and ended up back in Kentucky where he passed away penniless.  True, he left his daughter nothing.  Cannot imagine he didnt set her up financially at the onset.  Just a very sad story for all involved.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1090 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:01 am - IP Logged

She shared the jackpot among her brother and father equally. It left her with 22m and change after taxes. She has 4 children and a high maintenance toy boy soon to be husband. The dude is smiling from ear to ear. He seems more excited about what the money can do more than her.

Cynthia Stafford won a $112 million lottery back in 2007 and the cash value was $67 million. After all Federal taxes were factored, the net payout after it was split with her brother and father was less than $15 million.

Her brother and father most likely still have most of their funds but I highly doubt Cynthia has much left.

United States
                          Member #118609
                          November 4, 2011
                          930 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:13 am - IP Logged

lejardin,

Just do a search on the web for Alex Snelius and look for a hit on Advice to winners.

Thank you Coin, interesting info that comes out after the fact.  Some winners are all over thei internet and some not a new word since their win.  I would assume or hope that if one keeps on the lowdown and quiet they cant be writing about you.   That would be my wish when I win.  Move, buy lots of land, secure it and have privacy.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                            USA
                            United States
                            Member #152799
                            February 25, 2014
                            1090 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:13 am - IP Logged

David Lee Edwards bought a 4,410 sq. ft.  home in Palm Beach gardens, FL in October, 2001 for $1.195 million which was less than a month after collecting his winnings. He did pay his HOA dues up until his money starting running out in 2005 thus falling behind on his monthly payments.

The Home owners association foreclosed on his home because he was in arrears by roughly $5,000 and sold it at auction in June, 2006 for $400k. An investor purchased the home and ended up flipping it in March, 2007 for $1.825 million at he height of the housing market. That same home was sold in February, 2011 which was near the bottom of the housing meltdown for $765k

United States
                              Member #118609
                              November 4, 2011
                              930 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:21 am - IP Logged

David Lee Edwards bought a 4,410 sq. ft.  home in Palm Beach gardens, FL in October, 2001 for $1.195 million which was less than a month after collecting his winnings. He did pay his HOA dues up until his money starting running out in 2005 thus falling behind on his monthly payments.

The Home owners association foreclosed on his home because he was in arrears by roughly $5,000 and sold it at auction in June, 2006 for $400k. An investor purchased the home and ended up flipping it in March, 2007 for $1.825 million at he height of the housing market. That same home was sold in February, 2011 which was near the bottom of the housing meltdown for $765k

Thank you for the information.  I recall it was the HOA at issue.  With all that money he had monthly payments?  Omg $400,000?