Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Annoyed while waiting in the lottery line - Venting

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 2 years ago by zinniagirl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoLuck777's avatar - angel of-abundance-fortuna-anna-ewa-miarczynska.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #141426
April 13, 2013
26 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

So today while I was at lunch break playing my usual everyday tickets, the woman at the cash register was slow pressing the buttons. She had to enter how many tickets I had bought from the lotto machine and input each transaction into the cash register from the lotto machine each time. I was telling her I wanted a powerball ticket and some guy comes out of nowhere behind me, and the other clerk who was there working gave the other guy my ticket. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I feel very annoyed and agitated when this happens. I just played another ticket. And the way I see this it could be bad or good depending if you win win or lose. Has any one else experience similar situations? I'm still annoyed between this and the drive to work today in the messy weather.

joola99's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg

United States
    Member #54490
    August 20, 2007
    2209 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2015, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Have you considered playing online?

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #141426
      April 13, 2013
      26 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2015, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I tried to buy some tickets on theLotter, but I got a message saying, "not available in your country", or some message like that. I'd rather buy them online if i could. I don't think in NJ you can?

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        591 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2015, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Prefill your bet slips, that way there's no potential error

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
          Nova Scotia
          Canada
          Member #9934
          December 27, 2004
          884 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2015, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I will go to another store if the line up is too long. I get nervous standing in line up's, so if I get antsy, will walk to the store across or up the road..

Wyomissing, PA
            United States
            Member #161050
            November 15, 2014
            301 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Use a self-service terminal, if that option is available. NJ Lottery allows Powerball to be purchased for up to 8 draws (4 weeks) in advance. Playing ahead eliminates extra trips; helps justify making a further journey to a more competent lottery retailer to avoid such problems.

Many independent convenient stores are sketchy. One has to really watch everything. I don't even trust checking my tickets at some of them unless I know for sure they're able to cash it on the spot. While it's extremely unlikely to occur, it's conceiveable for a dishonest clerk with some tech ability to capture the serial number from the ticket checker (or less techy way by taking a pic of the redemption 2d barcode and printing it out to run through the terminal), and redeem a $600 or less winning ticket without the ticket.

The far more common scam is skimming some of the winnings. Customer brings in $100 winner, but retailer says it's only a $10 winner, and/or intentionally miscounts the cash handing over say $80 for a $100 winner - hoping the customer won't notice, and if they do, oh it was just an honest mistake.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2015, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

You should've protested then and there. Don't hesitate to say "hey I was next." Now you just have to hope that you'll end up like the Albany 7 who had a guy cut in line in front of them helping them win $319M in MM.

That money's gone fo ever

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: February 2, 2015, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

A lot of places in my area require customers to fill out slips when picking their own numbers.

As for annoying, how about when someone has a billion numbers to play, and doesn't fill the slip out?  I see it a lot at my work.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #141426
                  April 13, 2013
                  26 Posts
                  Posted: February 2, 2015, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Ah yes, gotta love those too! I mostly do quick picks when it comes to the major jackpot games. 

I'm going to start playing somewhere else. I have to find one of those automated machines. 

If it's meant to be, I guess its meant to be...

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2015, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

This is why I like going to the same place and having the workers be familiar with me. Usually when I end up trying another place the workers aren't nearly as competent and I immediately regret my decision.

Of course you're probably in a bigger city, so it's possible even the same store wouldn't have the same handful of workers my store here has.

New York
                      United States
                      Member #157288
                      July 14, 2014
                      170 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2015, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

A lot of places in my area require customers to fill out slips when picking their own numbers.

As for annoying, how about when someone has a billion numbers to play, and doesn't fill the slip out?  I see it a lot at my work.

This happens to me all the time. I'm not sure why they don't just fill out slips beforehand. I just come back later.

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #162631
                        January 7, 2015
                        502 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2015, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

So today while I was at lunch break playing my usual everyday tickets, the woman at the cash register was slow pressing the buttons. She had to enter how many tickets I had bought from the lotto machine and input each transaction into the cash register from the lotto machine each time. I was telling her I wanted a powerball ticket and some guy comes out of nowhere behind me, and the other clerk who was there working gave the other guy my ticket. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I feel very annoyed and agitated when this happens. I just played another ticket. And the way I see this it could be bad or good depending if you win win or lose. Has any one else experience similar situations? I'm still annoyed between this and the drive to work today in the messy weather.

Inexcusable.

But, you should have been more like "HEY HEY HEY.   WHAT NUMBERS DID YOU JUST GRAB?"

It sounds like you DID NOT play at an Asian or white store,  OR that the customers in your
                        area are not Asian or white.

I've had to change my Lotto ticket store twice, for that very reason, and the results
                        have improved drastically.  I don't mind traveling way, way out of my way every week.
                        But I know my tickets are right.

I'd been a weekly customer for 2 years at one of the stores.   And a weekly customer
                        at the other store for 14 years. I've been going to this new store, for just over a year,
                        in a tax-fee lotto state, as the drive is not so long as to forget or dread such a trip.
                        It's also a nice, relaxing drive.   I figure, should I hit the big prize, I'm going to move there.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4102 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2015, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Experienced similar situations?- nope, never. We have an Ocean of convenience stores selling lottery tickets out here,you can't make a left/ right turn without running into a sign saying " play lotto here". When l see those pictures on tv with folk lining up round the block, my first reaction is " where on earth is that?"

Just about every gas station/ subway and even water emporiums are selling lottery tickets.There is absolutely no excuse for someone saying " l could not get to a lottery terminal in time out here."

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                            nc
                            United States
                            Member #99520
                            October 26, 2010
                            375 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2015, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't use stores where the clerks ask for money if you win. I tell them to buy their own ticket? It got so bad, that I say "I was instructed to get the ticket and a recipt so they know where it was bought."  I am usually left alone at that point. Of course, i instructed myself to purchase the ticket with a receipt, so that I don't forget where it was bought.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7295 Posts
                              Posted: February 3, 2015, 12:36 am - IP Logged

The only place close to me selling Keno tickets uses two clerks with two lines, but only one machine and what you described happens often. If you really believe they gave "your" jackpot winning ticket to another customer, fill out a play slip next time.