Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 12:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What denomination would you pick if you were to buy a whole pack of scratch off tickets?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2015, 1:23 am - IP Logged

I am contemplateing buying a whole pack of scratchers but am hesitant for two reasons..

One,  which denomination would be the best to go for? (Other than what I can "afford")  and second, how many winners are on a roll usually and are there some rolls with no winners?  That would be my luck! 

I mean what do you think the odds are of winning your money back or more?  Or would you stay away from doing this entirely and vary your ticket purchase to say 5 tickets off various rolls..   Anyone do this very often?  Found a way that works best?

Thanks in advance for your input.

LottoMomma

See Ya!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    23229 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2015, 1:34 am - IP Logged

You might want to post a question like this on the Instants forum. I've seen some conversations/comments

over there about your subject. Some players say 1/3 to 1/2 back is average.

GL on what you decide.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

Michigan
      United States
      Member #100025
      November 4, 2010
      158 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2015, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Hmmm.. Interesting. I didn't know we had an instants forum? I don't recall seeing that under forums.. is that something new?

LM

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        23229 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2015, 1:50 am - IP Logged

It's the Instants (Scratch off) Games forum, you can see it on the FORUMS page.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2015, 2:02 am - IP Logged

What denomination would you pick if you were to buy a whole pack of scratch off tickets?

Presbyterian, they'd be predestined to win (maybe).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Michigan
            United States
            Member #100025
            November 4, 2010
            158 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2015, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Presbyterian, they'd be predestined to win (maybe).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Good one.. Coin Toss... I walked into that one didn't I? LOL

LM

See Ya!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2015, 8:39 am - IP Logged

$2. People think you can't win big on those and its not true. My biggest win on lottery tickets came from a $2 card.

That money's gone fo ever

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23348 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2015, 9:17 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

PA
                  United States
                  Member #129849
                  June 29, 2012
                  314 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2015, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Well, if money isn't an object I'd probably go with a $5 pack, $10 pack or $20 pack.

Here in PA, $10 and $20 tickets come in $600 packs. That's probably a little rich for my blood.

If I were to do a pack, I'd probably buy a $5 pack and this is why:

$1, $2, $3 and $5 tickets come in packs of $300. There is no way Id want to scratch off 300

$1 tickets or even 150 $2 tickets. I "MIGHT" be willing to do 100 $3 tickets but for the most part

PA has never really had any $3 tickets that I've even remotely liked. So I'd probably go with my

favorite pack of $5 tickets. 60 tickets total. At least in PA anyways.

Also as far as packs go, usually your return is about 50% to slightly less. But there were plenty of

stories posted here with packs containing a $500 and a $1000 in the same pack. Really is luck of the 

draw. As far as buying a single pack vs buying the same amount of tickets from different packs, I really

think that makes zero difference. But that's my opinion.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Good one.. Coin Toss... I walked into that one didn't I? LOL

LM

See Ya!

LottoMomma,

Aw shucks, you knew I was kidding.
                    Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

FiveXChamps's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
                      High Point, NC
                      United States
                      Member #133621
                      October 4, 2012
                      58 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2015, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

If you are looking to spend $600, Id go with a pack of $20 cars. Get the newest card with the most top prizes left. If $300 suits you better, Id go with the $5 card with the most top prizes left. Personally, Id pick up a couple of $20's  at about 10 different stores and hope the timing is right. I bought one $5 card yesterday and hit $1000. The $20 cards jackpots are life changing though. The best of  luck to you.

Livermore, CA
                        United States
                        Member #152910
                        March 1, 2014
                        18 Posts
                        Posted: February 4, 2015, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Well, my latest experience is I bought 15 $2 tickets: $25,000 Taxes Paid Scratcher tickets here in CA. I picked this game because it was a $2 ticket and I felt comfortable spending $30, and the $25K Taxes Paid jackpot was the biggest $2 ticket jackpot. The others were $20K, with one $21K ticket, and taxes were not paid for these smaller jackpot games. Oh, there is a $2 game with a $1000 For Life jackpot, which is a relatively big jackpot to be sure ($1.3M before taxes IIRC) but my experience with these For Life games is they do not have nearly as many smaller prizes, which means one can go through 10 tickets and not even win a free ticket. Oh, and taxes were not paid.

Out of the 15 $2 tickets, 5 were winners:

80 - $3

84 - $2 (Free Ticket)

92 - $3 (3 $1 winning numbers)

93 - $30 (2X $5 or $10 plus $20)

94 - $20 (2X $10)

Total: $58 for a $30 play.

Now the question is do i return and with my winnings buy the remaining tickets -- 6 tickets I guess (assuming 100 tickets per roll) on the roll and assuming the roll is still there -- or do I buy another game? Or do I go to another store and spend the winnings on 29 tickets of this same game?

What the heck. I think I'll return to the store and by the rest of the roll, the last 6 tickets. I'll see how I do and then decide what to do with the rest of the winnings.

Livermore, CA
                          United States
                          Member #152910
                          March 1, 2014
                          18 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

I took one winnng ticket back to the store, a $20 winner, and bought the rest of the roll, the last 5 tickets and with the other $10 bought 2 $250,000 Taxes Paid tickets, at $5/each.

Out of the 5 $2 tickets only one (#95) was a free ticket winner. Out of the 2 $5 tickets, only one (#63) was a free ticket winner. 

So I'm left with $38 winnings from earlier and $2 and $5 from just a few minutes ago or $45 to play with tomorrow.

Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #100025
                            November 4, 2010
                            158 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2015, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Well, my latest experience is I bought 15 $2 tickets: $25,000 Taxes Paid Scratcher tickets here in CA. I picked this game because it was a $2 ticket and I felt comfortable spending $30, and the $25K Taxes Paid jackpot was the biggest $2 ticket jackpot. The others were $20K, with one $21K ticket, and taxes were not paid for these smaller jackpot games. Oh, there is a $2 game with a $1000 For Life jackpot, which is a relatively big jackpot to be sure ($1.3M before taxes IIRC) but my experience with these For Life games is they do not have nearly as many smaller prizes, which means one can go through 10 tickets and not even win a free ticket. Oh, and taxes were not paid.

Out of the 15 $2 tickets, 5 were winners:

80 - $3

84 - $2 (Free Ticket)

92 - $3 (3 $1 winning numbers)

93 - $30 (2X $5 or $10 plus $20)

94 - $20 (2X $10)

Total: $58 for a $30 play.

Now the question is do i return and with my winnings buy the remaining tickets -- 6 tickets I guess (assuming 100 tickets per roll) on the roll and assuming the roll is still there -- or do I buy another game? Or do I go to another store and spend the winnings on 29 tickets of this same game?

What the heck. I think I'll return to the store and by the rest of the roll, the last 6 tickets. I'll see how I do and then decide what to do with the rest of the winnings.

Thanks for your response /Turbo996.  It was informative and educational.  Like you based on your info, I think I too would buy the rest of that roll providing it is still there. I would like to think that there might be another couple of winners of better than just $2 or $3.

Good luck and keep me posted as I would be most curious!

LM

See Ya!

Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #100025
                              November 4, 2010
                              158 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2015, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

$2. People think you can't win big on those and its not true. My biggest win on lottery tickets came from a $2 card.

Yeah, I think I saw on this post somewhere in the 700 plus pages.. someone posted a $2 winner for like $2K.  Nice hit.. was it you?

LM
                              See Ya!