Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What denomination would you pick if you were to buy a whole pack of scratch off tickets?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2015, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

If you are looking to spend $600, Id go with a pack of $20 cars. Get the newest card with the most top prizes left. If $300 suits you better, Id go with the $5 card with the most top prizes left. Personally, Id pick up a couple of $20's  at about 10 different stores and hope the timing is right. I bought one $5 card yesterday and hit $1000. The $20 cards jackpots are life changing though. The best of  luck to you.

Yeah, 'FiveXChamps..

I really am a chicken player. That $100 play and only winning $20 really hurt. I m like your idea of the $5 pack for $300.. not too bad a hit and would hopefully think the $5 tickets might pay better than the $1.  Course, funny thing is I hit better on the last run of five $1 tickets I bought off a roll than two $10 and 4 $5 tickets I bought.  I really feel cheated when I buy a $10 scratch off and win $1 prize.  That is pretty by the old lottery commision in my opinion! LOL

I will also check out what are the best $2 and $5 games to play.. ones with most tickets left.. ones where taxes may be paid and like another poster said and I have observed the ones that pay like $1000 a week for life, there seems to be less winners in a roll.

Thanks for the info and appreciate you took the time to post your thoughts!

LM

See Ya!

Illinois
    United States
    Member #162842
    January 13, 2015
    9 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I mostly buy books of $20 tickets. I have scratched a bunch of them on youtube (kingsofwinning)

ONLY buy books where the percentage of top prizes available is higher than the percentage of tickets in whole remaining.

Say the game you choose has 100 out of 200 $1,000 prizes left but has 2 out of 3 $1,000,000 prizes left. Then you

should buy it. In Illinois I spend about $600 a book for 30 $20 tickets. I KNOW out of each book you are going to get

a minimum back of about $350. So you go in risking $250 for a big prize. I prefer the bigger denominated tickets

because those games offer the highest payback percentages.

The higher the top prize, or if the game is top heavy you are probably looking at less mid level jackpot prizes as well.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I wish I lived in Mass. where they offer great scratch off games with the highest

payback percentages in country. I play other sort of games that offer payback percentages of 90%-110%+. Those are the best

to play!

Good luck in your search and KEEP ON SCRATCHIN!

I have an itch to scratch

"Keep on scratchin"

Addicted to scratching tickets on youtube. (kingsofwinning)

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
      OHIO
      United States
      Member #4164
      March 27, 2004
      14586 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2015, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Just a cartoon, not intended for anyone personally................

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

Think's avatar - lightbulb
        Marquette, MI
        United States
        Member #20541
        August 20, 2005
        705 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2015, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

In Michigan All Packs are $400 except for the $3 and $30 packs.  I believe the $3 packs are $375 and the $30 packs are $450.

Now as far as what to get I would say that, in Michigan today, buy the newest $30 pack.

If you don't want to do that then look at how many big winners are left and buy a $5 pack for that game.

I have never bought a whole back but if I were going to it would be a $10 or $30 pack.

I have never had over a $100 winner on any scratcher and have yet to hit for $100 on  the $2, $3, and $30 games.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2015, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think I saw on this post somewhere in the 700 plus pages.. someone posted a $2 winner for like $2K.  Nice hit.. was it you?

LM
          See Ya!

The one I posted was a $1000 winner  on the $2 kind

That money's gone fo ever

Bran77's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
            808/253
            United States
            Member #129752
            June 27, 2012
            2515 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2015, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

The one I posted was a $1000 winner  on the $2 kind

I think you would get more out of your money if you were too use that money for a book to buy different kinds of scratch tickets. say if you want to spend 250$ on a book of scratch. Well books only produce about 40% return,so I would say that is a waste of time unless you hit a big one. I would rather use that money and buy 5 20$ scratch offs 10 10$ ones and 10 5$ ones which equals to 250$. I have tried this before and won close to 750$ in return. It only takes one ticket to win so why would you spend your money on a book of duds in my opinion.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Florida
              United States
              Member #151010
              January 5, 2014
              196 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2015, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Don't do it. (FL)

I once bought the bulk of a $1 roll. #40ish something to #300. I "won" back $180 which was still a loss, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been because there was a $40, which they put at #128, and oddly #116-127 and #129-140 were all losers. Go figure.

The most 100X Cash $25tix I've bought at one time on a roll have been 13 and that was churning the few winners back in only to find $100 and still be down $200.

Tonight, I tried a different strategy....Cash 3 and Play 4.

Instead of spending $25 on a 100X ticket tonight, I decided to do the following:

Played a Combo of the Number 4559 ($12)

Played a Box of the Number 4459 ($1)

Played a Combo x 4 of the Number 454 ($12)

It's a longshot, and while there are better odds of winning "something" on a scratch-off, the odds of winning more than $500 are much higher. If my numbers hit, I could win either $5000, $200, or $2000, respectively. To win those amounts on a scratch off are well over 100,000 while in these games are 1000 or 10000.

An easy system you could try on Cash 3 is to think of a number you think will have a shot of coming in Doubles and Combo the doubles with each of the 9 digits + 1 triple (ex: 111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118,119,110). Total Cost: $28. Or if you didn't feel comfortable about what doubles would hit, but feel lucky with a certain digit, you could also try that (112, 222, 332,442,552,662,772,882,992,002) If it hits, you win $500 and using either doubles method means you can't be eliminated after the 1st number is drawn which makes it more exciting with only 2 numbers to worry about. 

I'm doing my best not to play scratches anymore. After my last outing with 100X, I think I've gotten it out of my system. I'm okay playing $25 and knowing I have a better chance to win higher amounts at the cost of not winning anything since I don't really have a desire to chase Play3/4 numbers. This is probably a once a pay period thing for me at best. 

Whichever you decide, good luck. But as you'll see from many who've bought rolls here they'll tell you the same thing that profiting usually doesn't happen and all you win back is the amount stated in the prize odds.

Lexington, SC
                United States
                Member #153877
                March 28, 2014
                79 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

When I buy packs, they are always $10 packs since that's the highest denomination my state offers as far as packs.  I have gone to Georgia and purchased $30 packs so I can easily say that if SC offered higher denomination packs or I could go to a state that offered $50 packs such as Texas and I had the financial capability to do so, I would purchase higher denomination packs, not regularly but I could afford to swing it I would.

The key for me, at least in my state, when buying new packs is the get them as early as possible.  New game called Cash Club came out last Tuesday and without buying a full pack, I already pulled in 3 separate $100 tickets (Wednesday, Friday and Today) by only getting a few tickets (all have been #008 on the roll by the way).

By the way, I only buy $10 packs in SC only when there's a 2nd chance promotion involved which is predominately with $1,000,000 tickets sold here from time to time.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                  Marquette, MI
                  United States
                  Member #20541
                  August 20, 2005
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2015, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

In Michigan All Packs are $400 except for the $3 and $30 packs.  I believe the $3 packs are $375 and the $30 packs are $450.

Now as far as what to get I would say that, in Michigan today, buy the newest $30 pack.

If you don't want to do that then look at how many big winners are left and buy a $5 pack for that game.

I have never bought a whole back but if I were going to it would be a $10 or $30 pack.

I have never had over a $100 winner on any scratcher and have yet to hit for $100 on  the $2, $3, and $30 games.

Woomp there it is!  I see in checking the winners list on the Michigan lottery web site that Two big prizes were claimed on 10 February.

One was a big winner from a $5 ticket and one was a big winner from a $30 ticket.  I hope one of them was you LM

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Bran77

I would be too disgusted if I played 2 cards @ $20 and  end up winning nothing which happens quite often. I'm quite sure I would win something on 20 cards @ $2.  This is my experience playing in Massachusetts

That money's gone fo ever

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                      Member #158848
                      September 5, 2014
                      294 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2015, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Just because one person got lucky and hit fairly big on a $2 card doesn't mean others will.

There are noticeably better odds of winning on $5 and up cards, and the prizes are substantially larger.

If I were the OP, I'd go to six different stores and buy 10 of the same $5 card at each location. That's 60 of the same card at a cost of $300.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                        Member #158848
                        September 5, 2014
                        294 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2015, 2:33 am - IP Logged

A friend of mine used to buy at least 30 $2 cards at a time. He never won a significant prize, and once only recouped $6 after buying $60 worth of cards. He started buying only $5, $10 and $20 cards after that - and has fared considerably better with the higher dollar cards.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2015, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I would go with a $20.00Big Grin I know Texas has a $50.00 ticket my hubby would like to tryBang Head

I Love Pink & Green 1908