Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I Almost Won ! ... or... What Might Have Been !

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 2 years ago by kingsofwinning.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2015, 4:13 am - IP Logged

I've told this story before, but (I think) it's a funny one.

It was a dark and stormy night.  No, it really was and my Internet connection was down and had been all day so I couldn't check my ticket.  The cable was also out, so I didn't have much else to do but read and when the power in my neighborhood went out, it was read by flashlight or go to bed.  I wasn't sleepy, so I drove to the nearest convenience store and while driving there, I saw the street lights come back on;  Reddy Kilowatt was on the job.  I went on to the store and bought a soda and a stale corn dog (which I could have used to drive nails with) and while paying for my items, asked the clerk if she could print me off a slip with the winning numbers.  I came on home, threw the slip on my computer desk and  checked my computer and saw the Internet was back up.

I navigated to the Texas Lottery site but while they had the night's draw numbers up, there was still no announcement of a winner.  I grabbed up (what I thought was) my lottery ticket and checked the numbers.  Wow, got the first number right....I got the second, too!  I bet I looked like one of those little plastic drinking birds in overdrive, my head bobbing up and down checking and re-checking numbers, my eyes going from the slip to the computer monitor...I got three...four...five...I GOT ALL SIX NUMBERS!  I was rich!

By now you probably already know what it took me much longer to realize...I had checked the winning numbers slip against the website's numbers and not my actual lottery ticket.    Lemme tell ya sumpthin', though...it feels GREAT to win the lottery.  Well, it feels great to THINK you won the lottery, anyway.  The letdown when I realized what I had done? Not so much.

That's a funny story ... thanks for sharing. Strange things can happen in a storm !

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6290 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2015, 5:06 am - IP Logged

I've told this story before, but (I think) it's a funny one.

It was a dark and stormy night.  No, it really was and my Internet connection was down and had been all day so I couldn't check my ticket.  The cable was also out, so I didn't have much else to do but read and when the power in my neighborhood went out, it was read by flashlight or go to bed.  I wasn't sleepy, so I drove to the nearest convenience store and while driving there, I saw the street lights come back on;  Reddy Kilowatt was on the job.  I went on to the store and bought a soda and a stale corn dog (which I could have used to drive nails with) and while paying for my items, asked the clerk if she could print me off a slip with the winning numbers.  I came on home, threw the slip on my computer desk and  checked my computer and saw the Internet was back up.

I navigated to the Texas Lottery site but while they had the night's draw numbers up, there was still no announcement of a winner.  I grabbed up (what I thought was) my lottery ticket and checked the numbers.  Wow, got the first number right....I got the second, too!  I bet I looked like one of those little plastic drinking birds in overdrive, my head bobbing up and down checking and re-checking numbers, my eyes going from the slip to the computer monitor...I got three...four...five...I GOT ALL SIX NUMBERS!  I was rich!

By now you probably already know what it took me much longer to realize...I had checked the winning numbers slip against the website's numbers and not my actual lottery ticket.    Lemme tell ya sumpthin', though...it feels GREAT to win the lottery.  Well, it feels great to THINK you won the lottery, anyway.  The letdown when I realized what I had done? Not so much.

Smile Great story Lol Big Smile

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
      Member #6363
      August 20, 2004
      4049 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:50 am - IP Logged

That was pretty good DA.Where you using a certain system ,wheel numbers or was just Qp ?

Say if you were to win that 2.1mil. back then,you would still have come back to Lp and post or at least read Lp every once in a blue moon  ??

It was a quickpick. I don't do anything with the P6 stuff, but I have gotten more into messing with the P5 stuff. I was posting under NY P5 thread with a fair amount of success before I left a few years ago. Crunched some numbers on paper just the other day for showmecash and had 4/5 on a 7 digit wheel. The number that came was 17(the one I missed) I had 16.  But again, it was just on paper.

And of course, I would have come back to read everyone's postings. I would have to do something in the evenings after I had some brand new adventure in an exotic location somewhere. Big Grin

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49618 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2015, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Thought I would start a topic for "almost being a winner" ... since there is already a topic for the lucky ones who actually have won something. Maybe this thread could "help" with the pain of being so close but no brass ring.

If no one has any interest in the topic then it will die a quick death and go to Page 2 rather quickly ... after all, it takes guts for one to admit they almost made it but but fell back into the manure pile. I am sure with anyone playing the lottery on a somewhat regular basis ... they have had many close misses on many different games.

It doesn't matter what game or how much the prize or jackpot was ... whether it was a few hundred dollars or one of the big jackpots, a close miss can still be painful. Scratch games don't count ... you either win or you don't with them. Saying I had two 5 million dollar prizes showing and didn't get the "third" one means nothing ... since probably there might be 10 or 20 milllion scratch tickets printed that way.

I have had many close misses on several PA games over the years. About two weeks ago I missed again on the Cash 5 ... I forget now whether I only had one number or two numbers, the numbers were all there for a four number hit ... not the jackpot, the numbers were just one off and so it goes.

This happened to me last night (Thursday) for the PA Match 6 drawing ... I don't have a scanner to copy and print the ticket ... want to get one of those small hand held scanners one day ... it would be very useful for many things.

Anyway, the Match 6 jackpot last night was 1.8 million and the second line of numbers on my Match 6 ticket was a QP set.

The winning numbers for last night were ...

11 17 22 25 35 36 (Match 6)

11 16 21 25 35 36 (My QP numbers) ... as you can see, I was "one off" with the 16 and 21.

No cigar and yes you could say there were people even closer to winning the jackpot because they had 5 out of 6 numbers compared to my 4 out of 6 numbers but to see them all lined up like that in perfect order still stings. I got $20 for the four numbers across and $5 for having five numbers total on the ticket ... I had two 16s on the ticket.

CW

Congratulations: For being a 4 of 6 Winner!

Condolences: For Not Being a 5 of 6 Winner!

Condolences: For Not Being a 6 of 6 Winner!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:29 am - IP Logged

If you have a true story, add it and screw the so-called "haters". Remember, it is better to have the so-called haters than the so-called friends.

Alright p1ss on it!  I am gonna tell it.  One time long ago on supercash I had matched 5/6 I was really excited that I won 500 dollars....Well I went to check it,  it was not a 500 winner  because it one of those games where it is 2 plays for a dollar...I ended up forgetting that the numbers from both lines don't count together!LOL So in the end it was a big 2 dollar winner instead of 500 dollars.

Trump 2016!

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2015, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Alright p1ss on it!  I am gonna tell it.  One time long ago on supercash I had matched 5/6 I was really excited that I won 500 dollars....Well I went to check it,  it was not a 500 winner  because it one of those games where it is 2 plays for a dollar...I ended up forgetting that the numbers from both lines don't count together!LOL So in the end it was a big 2 dollar winner instead of 500 dollars.

That could easily happen pickone4me ... with so many games and outside pressure, easy to maybe get a game mixed up.

One of these days, it'll be the real thing !

Illinois
              United States
              Member #162842
              January 13, 2015
              9 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2015, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Ive told this story with me scratching a book of tickets on youtube. (kingsofwinning)

No wait it was the video I did going down memory lane going over lottery tickets I have bought

from about 40 different states. About 6 or 7 years ago my wife was in Georgia. I told her to buy

me a GA lottery ticket. She got a pick 3 with 706 on it saying that was the date we originally met.

I corrected her to her shock that the actual date was 707. Guess what number came in that night.

707. Cost me $500!

I have hit 4 out of 5 many times in pick 5 games. I have had some big scratch off wins, some I have

scratched live on youtube which people enjoy watching.  Will keep on scratching till we hit the big one!

I have an itch to scratch

"Keep on scratchin"

Addicted to scratching tickets on youtube. (kingsofwinning)