Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You in a Pool that forbids anyone buying tickets " on the side"-However..

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 years ago by chopperman8238.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4111 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2015, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

On occasions when the jackpot really goes into the $400 mil plus range- you decide- the heck with that, l want to get a few extra tickets and perhaps have the gf/spouse squirrel away the tickets in a safe place..

But your separate numbers HIT.. 

Do you : Call up the Pool captain and tell him/ her you " broke the rules- tough".. Or

Tell the Pool your stay with them has run its course- your won and thats that..See Ya!

*** Do you see a lawsuit in the making?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

New Hampshire
    United States
    Member #163572
    February 3, 2015
    40 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Not sure how your office does it but at mine we photocopy the pool tickets and every page has the team name and what individuals are a part of the team.  You can't question what the team tickets were since all are provided a copy.  If someone wins on their own ticket tuff luck to the group.  It wasn't a group ticket and belongs to who bought it.   better luck next time to the team.

KCMO
      United States
      Member #163681
      February 7, 2015
      56 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Dang, you know that probably happens more often than not. 

But no way any lawsuit would stand any ground. Unless the pool had everyone sign a notarized contractual agreement (even then you can probably hire a team of lawyers to defend yourself) there's no ground the rest of the pool to stand on. 

I'm guessing the pool probably already has people playing on the side. It's your own money and you are not sharing with the pool so you don't have to share the winnings.

Republic of Texas
        United States
        Member #57557
        January 9, 2008
        1095 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Someone could try but it won't hold water.

I run the office pool, and yes, tickets are copied and shared with all members of the pool.  We know our numbers long before the drawing. We also don't have any rules like that. I actually have a smaller pool going at the same time in the office, a more 'select' group in one department. When I go out and buy the tickets for the pool, I don't buy my own at the same time unless I use a pick slip.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I always purchase the Power play or Megaplier so that will shut anyone up that tries to complains.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
            Lavender Rocket

United States
            Member #124616
            March 16, 2012
            2642 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:58 am - IP Logged

On occasions when the jackpot really goes into the $400 mil plus range- you decide- the heck with that, l want to get a few extra tickets and perhaps have the gf/spouse squirrel away the tickets in a safe place..

But your separate numbers HIT.. 

Do you : Call up the Pool captain and tell him/ her you " broke the rules- tough".. Or

Tell the Pool your stay with them has run its course- your won and thats that..See Ya!

*** Do you see a lawsuit in the making?

Premise:  I agreed to a pool that forbid me buying ticket on the side, but I did anyhow and won. 

Result:  After an agonizing weekend, I would go in and admit that I had purchased the ticket on the side, and give them to the pool.  I made the commitment to not purchase tickets, and broke my word.  So I would put the tickets into the pool.  Ultimately my word is my bond.  That weekend would have been hell on wheels.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
              Member #6363
              August 20, 2004
              4064 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2015, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I use to run a lottery pool back in day, and every player could buy their own tickets beyond our collective effort, no problem. The only rule the group and I had was all tickets bought in the cities where I worked was fair game to anyone on the list. My personal tickets had to be bought in my home town that was an hour away. That was said before every collection. So, if we had won a rather large pot any dispute would have ended immediately with the verification of where the ticket was purchased.

and the scenario you painted above. I could have never been in...and yes, where large sums of money are concerned, you will have a law suit if anyone thinks they have a chance to get some.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                Member #153629
                March 20, 2014
                129 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2015, 4:52 am - IP Logged

This is why online is the right way to go. Here in Sweden it's possible to play in pools with our swedish official gaming company Svenska Spel. Everyone that have an account can find other players to play with through the website. Everyone in the pool can make the bets, winnings are shared automatically. Everyone has to put in money before the bets can be made. Shared funds that can be used for the games consists of 1, the number of players in pool multiplied with funds from the player that put in least money.

9 people put in 100k kr, 1 put in 50 kr, then 500 kr can be used to play lottery tickets.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49835 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2015, 6:52 am - IP Logged

Premise:  I agreed to a pool that forbid me buying ticket on the side, but I did anyhow and won. 

Result:  After an agonizing weekend, I would go in and admit that I had purchased the ticket on the side, and give them to the pool.  I made the commitment to not purchase tickets, and broke my word.  So I would put the tickets into the pool.  Ultimately my word is my bond.  That weekend would have been hell on wheels.

I Agree!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2015, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Not sure how your office does it but at mine we photocopy the pool tickets and every page has the team name and what individuals are a part of the team.  You can't question what the team tickets were since all are provided a copy.  If someone wins on their own ticket tuff luck to the group.  It wasn't a group ticket and belongs to who bought it.   better luck next time to the team.

The pool I run is the same way. We have 11 members total and everyone gets a copy of the pool tickets. In addition, I buy multidraw tickets every 2 weeks on payday which cover all 4 drawings. I do know some members, myself included, do buy our own tickets and when the jackpots get big, some of us participate in other pools if someone starts one up. Since we know which tickets are for the pool, there's no question which tickets are individual and which are for the pool.

If an individual wins on their own tickets, that's their money to do whatever they want with. I once won $400 on a Powerball ticket I bought for myself and nobody in the group said anything about it.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Canada
                      Member #154380
                      April 14, 2014
                      57 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2015, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I would never join a pool that had a rule like that. The rule implies the pool is so poorly organized it cannot differentiate between pool tickets and tickets bought by others.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2015, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I personally would not join a group that had that requirement but if someone is in a group with that stipulation being known and you go out a buy a ticket and it wins you should do the right thing and claim it with the group.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                          Member #149820
                          December 9, 2013
                          644 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I think even if I bought a ticket on my own ESPECIALLY with it being high enough to split with alot of folks that I'd go on and just split it with them. Life is too short to be screwing people over about money that just fell into your lap. It would be tempting but I'd rather split it than feel like a heel the rest of my wealthy life

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                            Member #141034
                            April 2, 2013
                            1410 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

No way I'll join a pool like that. Way too much drama already.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                              Massachusetts
                              United States
                              Member #37433
                              April 14, 2006
                              2747 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2015, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

As a person who relies a lot on instincts, I have a big dislike for commitments that I don't see how they help me. I'd join but still defiantly play on the side.

That money's gone fo ever