Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

'Mirage' jackpots

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nist7seven.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

From Yahoo Finance re: $450M PB jackpot:

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage. To get that much, winners have to take payments over 30 years. However, winners rarely choose to do that. Instead, they take a smaller lump sum payment worth about one-third less than the advertised jackpot.

Most every one here at LP knows this but I just found the wording interesting.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I love how media personalities go above and beyond to discourage people from playing the lottery and in the same breath they flaunt their tickets on air. If it's impossible to win why waste the dollar or two? They play with the same long shot hope that all of us do. So get off the darn high horse.

They are speaking to the audience of casual players who come out of the woodwork when jackpots are high.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2015, 5:56 am - IP Logged

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage. To get that much, winners have to take payments over 30 years. However, winners rarely choose to do that. Instead, they take a smaller lump sum payment worth about one-third less than the advertised jackpot.

yahoo still Lives !!?? Thud

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5591 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:40 am - IP Logged

I love how media personalities go above and beyond to discourage people from playing the lottery and in the same breath they flaunt their tickets on air. If it's impossible to win why waste the dollar or two? They play with the same long shot hope that all of us do. So get off the darn high horse.

They are speaking to the audience of casual players who come out of the woodwork when jackpots are high.

My wife never plays the lottery, but she won $100 in a superbowl pool so she's going to buy some PB tics tonite.

It would probably be someone like her that will win.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
          Columbus, Ohio
          United States
          Member #128906
          June 5, 2012
          591 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:10 am - IP Logged

My wife never plays the lottery, but she won $100 in a superbowl pool so she's going to buy some PB tics tonite.

It would probably be someone like her that will win.

Yeah very true, it does seem like the casual player or a player that doesnt really play ends up winning.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #133462
            September 30, 2012
            5946 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:17 am - IP Logged

I agree with both of you. Casual players who don't over think as many of us do. In fact, when a poster on the main discussion forum suggested that only old or rich people win, I thought to respond with maybe he should study the habits of the retirees. When they play, where they play and how much they spend when they play. I think I will join a bingo club and follow along when they go to Publix - lol.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

KCMO
              United States
              Member #163681
              February 7, 2015
              56 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I agree with both of you. Casual players who don't over think as many of us do. In fact, when a poster on the main discussion forum suggested that only old or rich people win, I thought to respond with maybe he should study the habits of the retirees. When they play, where they play and how much they spend when they play. I think I will join a bingo club and follow along when they go to Publix - lol.

Casual player here and it didn't take me that longnto figure out difference between advertised jack pot and the cash option. Many people are not aware that the big money number is only an estimated one used for marketing purposes and cash option is the real jackpot. So lot of people think taxes are taken out of the big number.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1090 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Casual player here and it didn't take me that longnto figure out difference between advertised jack pot and the cash option. Many people are not aware that the big money number is only an estimated one used for marketing purposes and cash option is the real jackpot. So lot of people think taxes are taken out of the big number.

I agree that many people believe that the advertised jackpot is what a winner receives. It doesn't help when the media starts showing examples of what you can buy using the entire advertised pre-tax amount. A lot of folks also don't know that the annuity payments are progressively weighted. The winner gets about 4 times at he end of their payments when compared to the first few which by that time has depreciated considerably due to many factors such as inflation and the value of the dollar.

California
                  United States
                  Member #141204
                  April 7, 2013
                  280 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2015, 11:30 am - IP Logged

They don't have 'Mirage' jackpots in Canada and Europe. The advertised amount is the cash amount. They also pay zero taxes on lottery winnings.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

I usually slash the advertised jackpot by half to land at a ballpark figure of the true jackpot. I'm too experienced to fall for their gimmicks Twitch

That money's gone fo ever

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #129225
                      June 13, 2012
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

The Mirage is getting bigger to the size of $485 million!

California
                        United States
                        Member #141204
                        April 7, 2013
                        280 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2015, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

OMG.

Wyomissing, PA
                          United States
                          Member #161050
                          November 15, 2014
                          301 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2015, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

And there's no penalty for lottery officials being wrong. For example, the widely advertised Powerball jackpot of $600 million annuity, back in 2013, turned out to less when actually won at ~$590 million annuity. Not a huge difference, relatively speaking, but a difference nevertheless. I'm surprised Powerball lottery officials didn't pay the advertised amount (would have only cost them an additional ~$6 million), since some players, and at least one mainstream news article, noticed the discrepancy. I play Powerball and Mega Millions even less, in some part due to that. Lack of trust in the jackpot numbers being advertised...

I don't go into all that detail when discussing jackpots with friends, but simply explain that there's no penalty for lottery officials being wrong, and they have been at least once, and didn't pay out the full amount; deceptive advertising.

A simple, conservative, formula for what one winner will actually receive is 1/3 of the advertised amount, which accounts for the annuity factor, the inflated / fictional jackpot amount, and taxes.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2015, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

$485 million that is one mirage I would not mind Big Grin I bet the writer of the article probably grab some tickets too  Green laugh

I Love Pink & Green 1908

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                              Member #153629
                              March 20, 2014
                              128 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2015, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

They don't have 'Mirage' jackpots in Canada and Europe. The advertised amount is the cash amount. They also pay zero taxes on lottery winnings.

I must correct you. Many countries including my country sweden have zero taxes, but some like Spain have 20% flat taxes. Euro millions is not offered in sweden but is multi-country lottery. A winner in spain recieves less cash than one in france.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%