Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

'Mirage' jackpots

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nist7seven.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7322 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage.

It's amazing that after years of several huge jackpots and ticket buying frenzies, a reporter still believes this is useful information. The story makes it look like only the "huge jackpots" are mirages and not very accurate about the cash value. I guess they still don't know 25% will be deducted for Federal tax and possibly state tax too.

KCMO
    United States
    Member #163681
    February 7, 2015
    56 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage.

It's amazing that after years of several huge jackpots and ticket buying frenzies, a reporter still believes this is useful information. The story makes it look like only the "huge jackpots" are mirages and not very accurate about the cash value. I guess they still don't know 25% will be deducted for Federal tax and possibly state tax too.

Well that plus the reporters don't even bother to spend a few minutes to readup on how the advertised jackpot actually works compared to the cash option. I was researching how lotteries work and found that information in minutes. Journalism is down the drain these days.