Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How big is your pool?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Canada
Member #154380
April 14, 2014
57 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2015, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I wish I could buy tickets for the huge Powerball jackpot but I cannot since I live in Canada. Given the size of the jackpot and the long odds to win, I am curious as to how big some of the office pools are.

Two questions:

1. How big is your pool as in how many members in the pool?

2. How big is your pool as in how many tickets did it buy?

By draw time, I will summarize with the largest numbers I see posted. Thanks.

Please do not derail this thread by discussing whether or not pools are a good idea. That topic has been covered many times already.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4108 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2015, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Pool of One.

Pool of ticket: Tonight- 10.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #129225
      June 13, 2012
      546 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2015, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Pool of One

Pool of tickets for tonight 10

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        592 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2015, 11:10 am - IP Logged

4 total between wife and I, I think my mom is buying at least 2

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

I'm not gonna pull a Michael Kosko so I'm in the work pool.

The pool has 11 members.

We're getting 11 tickets.

That money's gone fo ever

Canada
            Member #154380
            April 14, 2014
            57 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm not gonna pull a Michael Kosko so I'm in the work pool.

The pool has 11 members.

We're getting 11 tickets.

Thanks maringoman. The first pertinent response.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

2 pools here at work.

Pool 1 = 23 people and 69 tickets (split cost between members, 6$/3tix per member/drawing , pool is closed day prior to drawing to determine total # of tickets bought.)

Pool 2 = 10 people and 3 tickets (each person purchases a share of the 3 tickets - true if only 1 person chooses to play that drawing or 50 - this pool only purchases 3 tickets regardless - I was offered to join this pool .60 was my "cost to join" - other members were "refunded" dont know how they handle partial pennies)

Canada
                Member #154380
                April 14, 2014
                57 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2015, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

2 pools here at work.

Pool 1 = 23 people and 69 tickets (split cost between members, 6$/3tix per member/drawing , pool is closed day prior to drawing to determine total # of tickets bought.)

Pool 2 = 10 people and 3 tickets (each person purchases a share of the 3 tickets - true if only 1 person chooses to play that drawing or 50 - this pool only purchases 3 tickets regardless - I was offered to join this pool .60 was my "cost to join" - other members were "refunded" dont know how they handle partial pennies)

Pool 2 seems rather cumbersome to manage. Handing out pennies to existing members when new members join. The cost of joining is nice though.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                  NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3707 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2015, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

I run two pools at my workplace.

The first pool is for either Mega Millions or PowerBall, depending upon which one has the bigger jackpot. The number of players can vary because we only play when either jackpot has passed a certain threshold. We usually start playing when either game exceeds $300 million.  Sometimes there can be 20 or more people in the pool, but other times there have been as few as 15 people.  If you're at work, and you want to play, you're in. If you're not at work and we play, you're not in.  If you're at work and choose not to play, that's fine,  but you're not in.  It's strictly voluntary participation.  All players know that if you choose not to get in, or they're not at work when we play, then you're not in the pool on that particular date.  If we won a large prize, those that did not play for whatever reason know and understand that they are not in. It matters not if they were out sick or on vacation.  Sometimes someone will "cover" a friend who is not at work and put $$ in for them.  I'm the person that collects $$ and buys the tickets, therefore I never "cover" for anybody. The pool is open to all comers. I approach most people and collect $$, but I've had people approach me and ask to get in, and they're welcome to get in. If it's PB we are playing, I collect 2 dollars per person. I collect $1 per person for MM.  I scan all the tickets I buy, and email a PDF file containing the tickets to everyone who got in.  If someone didn't get in for whatever reason, no PDF file will be emailed to that person. All lower tier winnings have been rolled back into the pool. (We won 12 bucks once, so I bought 12 MM tickets with the winnings for the next MM drawing)  If we are ever so lucky to win a large prize, I would call a meeting of the group of people who played, and we would have to discuss/decide what we wanted to do as a group. 

I run second pool, and there are just eight of us in it.  It's closed to other people.  The 8 of us chip in either 30 or 40 dollars each to buy raffle tickets.  We buy either Connecticut's "SuperDraw" million dollar raffle tickets ($10 each), or Pennsylvania's "Millionaire" raffle, which cost $20 each.  Each state runs their respective raffle twice per year.  The next one is set for July 4th, 2015. If we play CT's Superdraw, we each throw in 30 bucks, and we buy a total of 24 tickets.  If we play PA's Millionaire Raffle, we each throw in 40 bucks and buy 16 tickets.  Tickets for each go on sale three months prior to the drawing, so I collect either 10 bucks per month from each member, or I collect 20 bucks twice during the three month period tickets are on sale.  Depending upon which raffle we decide to play will determine the total amount each person chips in. The reason we don't have/want more members in this pool is because an 8-way split of one million dollars yields $125,000 for each of us in the pool before taxes.  After taxes, we would probably net $80,000 to $85,000.  Adding more players to the group would only reduce any winnings further, and we don't want that. 

As I mentioned above, the next raffle for both PA and CT is July 4th, 2015.  The nice thing about the PA raffle is that each ticket has 4 chances to win a million dollars, as there are 4 one million dollar winners.  Odds for this raffle are 125,000 to 1 and in reality, even though we have 16 physical tickets, we really have 64 chances to win a million bucks.  CT sells a maximum of 275,000 SuperDraw tickets so the odds there are 275,000 to 1, but there is just one winner of the top prize of a million dollars.  So we have 24 chances to win the top prize in CT.  My thinking is the guys will want to buy PA's tickets rather than CT's even though it'll cost them a total of 40 bucks. That extra 10 bucks gives us 40 extra chances at a million dollars than we'd have with CT's raffle.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

CALI
                    Afghanistan
                    Member #118735
                    November 6, 2011
                    134 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2015, 4:07 am - IP Logged

we have 8/9 players in our group, here in Cali.

We average about $900 a month in ticket purchases. Been doing this now for over 3 years

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Lavender Rocket

United States
                      Member #124616
                      March 16, 2012
                      2642 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2015, 11:57 am - IP Logged

we have 8/9 players in our group, here in Cali.

We average about $900 a month in ticket purchases. Been doing this now for over 3 years

100$/mo/person.  is that for just 1 game or for a combination of games?

Canada
                        Member #154380
                        April 14, 2014
                        57 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2015, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the response GiveFive. It looks like you have a very well organized setup. Good luck to you and your group members.

Canada
                          Member #154380
                          April 14, 2014
                          57 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2015, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive, I see you live in New York state but you must live close enough to CT and PA to buy raffle tickets in those states. Do you also buy your Mega Millions and Powerball tickets in PA to take advantage of no sales tax in PA?

Thanks.

mrbg's avatar - NofVcy
                            Nashville,TN
                            United States
                            Member #79101
                            August 26, 2009
                            11010 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2015, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

2, me and a coworker

NYC
                              United States
                              Member #161115
                              November 17, 2014
                              126 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2015, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive, I see you live in New York state but you must live close enough to CT and PA to buy raffle tickets in those states. Do you also buy your Mega Millions and Powerball tickets in PA to take advantage of no sales tax in PA?

Thanks.

I think you have to reside in that state for the no state tax rule to apply.