Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How big is your pool?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2015, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could buy tickets for the huge Powerball jackpot but I cannot since I live in Canada. Given the size of the jackpot and the long odds to win, I am curious as to how big some of the office pools are.

Two questions:

1. How big is your pool as in how many members in the pool?

2. How big is your pool as in how many tickets did it buy?

By draw time, I will summarize with the largest numbers I see posted. Thanks.

Please do not derail this thread by discussing whether or not pools are a good idea. That topic has been covered many times already.

My office pool has a total of 11 members, each of whom pay $4 every 2 weeks on payday. With that, I buy 3, MegaMilions, 3 Powerball, and 2 Lotto tickets. With lower tier winnings, I buy additional tickets.

Over the 2 weeks, we usually win lower tier prizes, just can't seem to hit the big one.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3823 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2015, 8:36 am - IP Logged

GiveFive, I see you live in New York state but you must live close enough to CT and PA to buy raffle tickets in those states. Do you also buy your Mega Millions and Powerball tickets in PA to take advantage of no sales tax in PA?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response... I've been busy lately and I cant seem to get online as much as I usually do.

You're correct, I live in NY very near to I-84, which is an interstate highway that runs east/west from PA to CT.   I'm located about halfway between both states, so for me it's simply a matter of deciding whether to drive east towards CT, or west towards PA. Actually, I'm a little closer to CT than PA, it takes me an about an hour to get across I-84 to PA.  CT is a 45 minute drive. I tend to go to CT a little more often than PA simply because I have a daughter that attends college in CT.  The main reason I drive over to PA is to buy PA Millionaire raffle tickets.

As for MM/PB purchases, when I buy tickets, I only buy them in NY.  That's because I only play those games via the work pool that I run.  Usually I buy the pool's tickets the day of the drawing, and I run out at lunch time to the gas station near where I work to buy them.  Good Luck!

PS Last time I was in Canada was 30+ years ago when my wife and I drove around The Gaspe Peninsula.  The Canadian Maritime Provinces are gorgeous in the summertime!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

CALI
      Afghanistan
      Member #118735
      November 6, 2011
      134 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2015, 4:20 am - IP Logged

100$/mo/person.  is that for just 1 game or for a combination of games?

Each member drops 100 per month, we play the Mega and Power Ball.

a total of 8 plays per month. If a member is short on cash that month, we advance them from our slush fund.

Maybe someday the big one will drop....

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #142777
        May 18, 2013
        263 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2015, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Forget the pool i want to know if anyone has a hottub!   Banana

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          919 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2015, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Pool of two...my brother and me.

always at least 2 tickets but sometimes 10.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Oh, that used to be 5 meters large and 10 meters long. There was a sauna, a solarium and massage facility too. There was a bicycle, an expander and my dumbbells. I don't remember how deep the pool was.

Canada
              Member #154380
              April 14, 2014
              58 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Oh, that used to be 5 meters large and 10 meters long. There was a sauna, a solarium and massage facility too. There was a bicycle, an expander and my dumbbells. I don't remember how deep the pool was.

Don't quit your day job!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3316 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2015, 7:20 am - IP Logged

am i an addict?

4 pools,

pool 1 3 people , 4 6 6 1  4 4 tickets  in separate draws

pool 2 5 people , 4 4 4 1 4 2 tickets in same draws

pool 3 2 people 4 4 4 1 4 2 tics in same

pool 4 2 people 0 0 0 4 4 0 in only 2 draws

when jackpots reach 30 mill pools 2 3 4 , double the number of tickets. this is in Aust i am 1 person in ea pool. oh and i run pools 2 3 4, and all tickets are ran thru online purchase, so its basically managing the money.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: March 22, 2015, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I wish I could buy tickets for the huge Powerball jackpot but I cannot since I live in Canada. Given the size of the jackpot and the long odds to win, I am curious as to how big some of the office pools are.

Two questions:

1. How big is your pool as in how many members in the pool?

2. How big is your pool as in how many tickets did it buy?

By draw time, I will summarize with the largest numbers I see posted. Thanks.

Please do not derail this thread by discussing whether or not pools are a good idea. That topic has been covered many times already.

Canada should become the 51st state, problem solved!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!