Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Kind of weird, lottery machine

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 years ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2015, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I've never had this one happen before.

I filled out a Pick 3 play slip today, straight box, $1, evening draw. Put a dollar bill in the machine, it doesn't take it. Tried again, didn't take it. Tried again, it takes it, I put the play slip in, out comes a MM ticket with two lines of numbers.

Huh?

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1279 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2015, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Perhaps it belongs to the buyer before you, who didn't get his ticket.

And perhaps the next buyer on the machine will get your pick 3 ticket.

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2015, 1:01 am - IP Logged

MillionsWanted,

These machines don't work that way. You put the money in first, then can select scratchers or a draw game. If you select a draw game the default is a quick pick.

But if you insert a play slip for a draw game a tickets is issued for that game.

Since I inserted a slip and didn't hit the Mega Millions choice it's kind of strange. Also, two lines of MM (no Megaplier) would be $2, there was only $1 in the machine.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2015, 1:14 am - IP Logged

MillionsWanted,

These machines don't work that way. You put the money in first, then can select scratchers or a draw game. If you select a draw game the default is a quick pick.

But if you insert a play slip for a draw game a tickets is issued for that game.

Since I inserted a slip and didn't hit the Mega Millions choice it's kind of strange. Also, two lines of MM (no Megaplier) would be $2, there was only $1 in the machine.

I saw a lottery machine installed where I usually buy my tickets but it only print local games, no MM or PB and doesn't  give change but will take up to $100 in advance.  I suppose if someone doesn't use all their money for tickets their change goes to the next player. 

I haven't tried using it yet cause I personal like checking the clerks as they run my play slips.  This place has a drive-thur and the clerk tried to sell me some mistakes after pretending to have ran my play slips so now I always walk in and watch them run my slips.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3112 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2015, 5:50 am - IP Logged

Thing go wrong.  Just had to login to LP even though I don't recall logging out. 

Stopped using the Florida lottery machines after being cheated out of $10. no reply to my email complaint to the lottery about it either.  Found that when jammed the machine sends you on a wild goose chase telling you to report it to store personel.  When you get back the machine has reset itself blanking out only the stuck ticket option and has given your purchase credit to the next customer to try the machine.   Doing a count to verify the machine doesn't work because it gave your money away so it isn't over by what you put in.

BobP

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
            NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3815 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2015, 6:23 am - IP Logged

I've tried the lottery ticket vending machines a few times, but for whatever reason, I don't care to use them. (But then, I'm a guy that wont deposit cash or a check in my own bank's ATM.)   I guess the deterrent that keeps me from using the vending machines is the amount of cash I'm risking by the machine possibly screwing up. 

As for clerks and my lottery tickets, I don't trust them either, but that's born more out of the fact that I think they could make an honest mistake than it is them trying to pull a fast one on me.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a clerk deliberately try anything shaky.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2015, 7:03 am - IP Logged

I filled out a Pick 3 play slip today, straight box, $1, evening draw. Put a dollar bill in the machine, it doesn't take it. Tried again, didn't take it. Tried again, it takes it, I put the play slip in, out comes a MM ticket with two lines of numbers.

Huh?

Scared

Perhaps it was just meant to be!!  The powers of Fate!  Good luck on that ticket.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5754 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2015, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Huh?

Scared

That is weird. I rarely use the vending machines because when it screws up, which is often, it's a hassle to get help.

But, with you, fate may just be very kind to you on your MM tic.

Good luck!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

uprrman's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  harvard,il
                  United States
                  Member #96756
                  September 4, 2010
                  2544 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2015, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

That is weird. I rarely use the vending machines because when it screws up, which is often, it's a hassle to get help.

But, with you, fate may just be very kind to you on your MM tic.

Good luck!

sounds kind of fishy to me.

but maybe the machine is looking out for youGreen laugh

i want to be a millionaire a second time!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3857 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2015, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Huh?

Scared

Coin toss,

I hope it's a winner !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2015, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

What did Rgdrnr used to say? If a ticket is a mistake, it's a ticket you must take... or something closer to that.

I'm rooting for you CT even though I'm in that draw too Cheers

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19895 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2015, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

I've tried the lottery ticket vending machines a few times, but for whatever reason, I don't care to use them. (But then, I'm a guy that wont deposit cash or a check in my own bank's ATM.)   I guess the deterrent that keeps me from using the vending machines is the amount of cash I'm risking by the machine possibly screwing up. 

As for clerks and my lottery tickets, I don't trust them either, but that's born more out of the fact that I think they could make an honest mistake than it is them trying to pull a fast one on me.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a clerk deliberately try anything shaky.  G5

My experience could have been a honest mistake but when I turn in two MM play slips with 5 lines and no megaplier and get tickets back with 3 lines with megaplier that cost $2 more than I planned to spend and have none of the combinations I had on my play slips I question if the mistake was honest. 

Since the store owner requires the clerks to buy their mistakes, they have an incentive to push them on any customers that will accept them.  I might consider buying a mistake if I was buying quick picks but not after I've taken the time to pick my own combination and make out play slips.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10390 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2015, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the comments folks.

For uprman and others in Illinois you know how the machines are supposed to work, this was just weird as $1 and a Pick 3 play slip should not generate two lines of MM numbers.

Sometimes on these machines the upper row which is draw games will not be lit, a lot of people don't realize it and wind up buying scratchers, as RJOh said the machines don't give change.

Lep

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5754 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2015, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the comments folks.

For uprman and others in Illinois you know how the machines are supposed to work, this was just weird as $1 and a Pick 3 play slip should not generate two lines of MM numbers.

Sometimes on these machines the upper row which is draw games will not be lit, a lot of people don't realize it and wind up buying scratchers, as RJOh said the machines don't give change.

Well.....

would your P3 number have been a winner???

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10390 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2015, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Well.....

would your P3 number have been a winner???

Nope!  Went to the counter and played it with a clerk.

Green laugh

Lep