Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Wins From Out of State

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2015, 8:52 am - IP Logged

Over the last month I became aware that people living anywhere in the US can play the MA Megabucks Doubler. I guess this must be the only state that does this, is that correct?

I have a tax question ... in PA all lottery game wins are state tax free but I am guessing that a lottery win from another state would be taxed in PA or in MA or both, if the jackpot is won ... or smaller wins of $600 and more?

Anybody from out of state have any $600 + wins with this game ?

I'm going to call tomorrow about the game ... sorry I missed the special discount through the Holidays. Could work that in next time.

As a side note ... I am reading this at Wikipedia for the Masschusetts Lottery:

"The Lottery is unusual in withholding 5 percent on prizes over $600, instead of only over $5,000 (the Federal level.) The withholding on prizes of at least $5,000 is 30 percent."

Is this still the case if you live in MA ?

Follow up question ... how is it that people from out of state can play the lottery in MA and no where else ... I thought there were Federal regulations about crossing state lines?

CW

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2015, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I live in Louisiana and we frequently get winners from Mississippi, which doesn't have a lottery. You can play any state's lottery providing you can actually get to that state to buy tickets. One weekend I played 3 state lotteries, Louisiana, Colorado, and Idaho. I went to Boise on business and passed through the Denver airport on the way home and found a place selling tickets, so I bought some there too.

As for the tax questions, it all depends on the states. If I were to win a large jackpot in another state and taxes are withheld, I'd have to file a non-resident tax return for that state. Whether or not I'd be liable for income taxes there depends on that state's tax laws. I would also have to claim that income on my Louisiana state tax return but if I am liable for taxes in another state while a Louisiana resident, I'd be able to take that amount as a non-refundable credit against my Louisiana income tax liability according to Louisiana's tax laws.

Every state has different tax laws and some states have no state income tax, so the best thing to do is check with the state revenue department web sites for the state you live in and whatever states you will be playing in.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10354 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2015, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

PrisonerSix,

I'm pretty sure anyone in the US can buy a subscription ticket to the Mass. lottery without physically going there.

From the Mass. lottery FAQ page:

Can non-residents play the game? If so, how do they collect?

Yes, anyone 18 and over can purchase any Lottery product at any agent location. All players can collect their prizes at the same locations referenced in the "How do customers collect their winnings" FAQ. Season Tickets can be purchased directly from any sales agent while in the state, or from out of state by calling l-800-222-TKTS. The ticket can be registered in the owner's name by completing and returning the registration form to the Lottery. Season Tickets are available for Lucky for Life, Mega Millions, Megabucks Doubler and Powerball.

Lucky for Life, Mega Millions and Powerball season tickets cannot be purchased via phone or by mail from out of state.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2015, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

PrisonerSix  Given the way that guy from overseas kept repeating this thing about playing Megabucks from out of state, I thought everybody in LP had picked up on it. It is the perfect setting for lottery enthusiasts who live in Mississippi, Alaska, Alabama, Utah and Nevada where there is no state lottery available.

Crazy Wombat  taxes are paid at source of income. 5% state and 25% Federal would be withheld if you win big in MA. The Megabucks Doubler jackpot is $4.8M so I would encourage you all to get that subscription for the next 52 weeks. I think it costs $100.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
          Member #161539
          December 3, 2014
          328 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2015, 6:30 am - IP Logged

PrisonerSix  Given the way that guy from overseas kept repeating this thing about playing Megabucks from out of state, I thought everybody in LP had picked up on it. It is the perfect setting for lottery enthusiasts who live in Mississippi, Alaska, Alabama, Utah and Nevada where there is no state lottery available.

Crazy Wombat  taxes are paid at source of income. 5% state and 25% Federal would be withheld if you win big in MA. The Megabucks Doubler jackpot is $4.8M so I would encourage you all to get that subscription for the next 52 weeks. I think it costs $100.

Yes, that's when I first became aware of all this ... I think the guy was from Sweden. I went back lookng for some of those posts but I must have not went back far enough.

I have another question about the subscription ... if you sign up for a year, can you change the numbers to another set of numbers ... say after six months or so? I'm thinking probably not ... but just asking.

From my original post ... I'm still curious how this is allowed by being in another state. A person from Texas never sets foot in MA but can play the game across state lines ... many state lines!

I would think other states would jump at the chance for additional revenue also. I always thought there were Federal regulations against crossing state lines for gambling. I could be wrong but isn't it illegal to send lottery tickets through the mail also ... but this would be by phone lines or satellite of course.

If you win very small amounts I read that they send you a check ... I'm thinking of all the postage expense for just $2.00 wins ... it would be nice if they could hold small amounts of money in a person's account to use on a future subscription.

If I do a three month and six month subscription then that would put me into the next Holiday discount subscription.

thanks ... GLTA,

CW

* additional ... I was thinking of having to pay tax both in MA and PA ... so far all I can find is this ... it just mentions Arizona and Maryland for "double" withholding or maybe taxes ... unless there would be a refund from one state for the withholding. PA does not tax instate lottery winnings but I don't know about winnings from another state.

"As with wage income, some amount of lottery winnings is withheld for the government before you calculate your total tax bill when filing your income tax the following year. While lottery winnings of $600 or less are not reported to the IRS, winnings in excess of $5,000 are subject to a 25 percent federal withholding tax. In other words, if one person wins the jackpot and chooses the $389 million lump sum payment, $97 million will go straight to the IRS. Next April, the jackpot winner or winners can see if any of that amount gets refunded, or if they owe even more.

The same is true at the state level. While lottery winnings are subject to state income tax in most states, withholding tax varies from zero (California, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and the states with no state income tax) to over 12 percent in New York City (see Table 1). Arizona and Maryland have withholding rates for non-residents, so an out-of-state winner who bought a ticket in those two states could face double withholding."

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2015, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I did not know about Megabucks either I agree maringoman if your state does not offer a state lotto this would be a good idea. I am not familiar with subscriptions so I don't know how that works. I remember reading a horror story about a guy in New York years ago that had a subscription but never got his confirmation number and the number he picked came out and he was not able to collect so make sure you get your confirmation #.  Like PrisonerSix when I go out of state I multi-draw my tickets for several weeks.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
              Member #161539
              December 3, 2014
              328 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2015, 10:13 am - IP Logged

I did not know about Megabucks either I agree maringoman if your state does not offer a state lotto this would be a good idea. I am not familiar with subscriptions so I don't know how that works. I remember reading a horror story about a guy in New York years ago that had a subscription but never got his confirmation number and the number he picked came out and he was not able to collect so make sure you get your confirmation #.  Like PrisonerSix when I go out of state I multi-draw my tickets for several weeks.

OK ... I just got off the phone with the MA Lottery and got some answers to how they are able to have the Megabucks Doubler played over state lines.

That is the only MA game that can be played across state lines because it is strictly a MA game, the other games can't be played that way ... if I understood it right.

When you sign up, there is a $4 extra charge for the subscription, if you are out of state ... that is a charge for UPS mailing ... they can't send anything through the Post Office out of state, so they use UPS, which gets around that. In state mailings are OK through the Post Office, if I understood that correct.

If you only get a three month subscription at a time then you will pay the $4 extra charge every time you renew ... so a six month or one year subscription would save some of that charge and I think also get a better discount with longer play.

You can not change your numbers till you get a new subscription renewal.

They "are" able to mail any winnings by check through the US Mail ... they usually don't mail out small checks ... $2, $4 and such ... they let the winnings build up to maybe $10 or $12 dollars and then mail a check ... if your subscription runs out ... any money due you will be sent, whatever the amount.

So I think I posted the correct information ... subject to change or correction if I misunderstood something.

I still need to search around about having to pay taxes twice on any large win ... I know MA will take Federal and state taxes out but I'm not sure about bringing in a lottery win from another state and how PA would treat that.

CW

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2015, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Well I decided to get tickets for the MA Megabucks Doubler ... I played two sets of numbers for three months and then will renew in June for six months ... that will take me into the new Holiday discount period that starts in November.

The $4 charge only applies to the  current order ... no matter how many number sets you decide to play.

I was surprised that I won't be entered until the March 22nd drawing ... I was hoping for an entry this week.

That's all I know ... now it up to Lady Luck !!!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2015, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Well I decided to get tickets for the MA Megabucks Doubler ... I played two sets of numbers for three months and then will renew in June for six months ... that will take me into the new Holiday discount period that starts in November.

The $4 charge only applies to the  current order ... no matter how many number sets you decide to play.

I was surprised that I won't be entered until the March 22nd drawing ... I was hoping for an entry this week.

Cheers Good for you. Even if someone wins before your subscription kicks in, the game is going nowhere.

DCF it'll be nice when all state lotteries moved out of stone-age and allowed this. Lets hope this is the next frontier for lotteries

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                    Member #161539
                    December 3, 2014
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2015, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Cheers Good for you. Even if someone wins before your subscription kicks in, the game is going nowhere.

DCF it'll be nice when all state lotteries moved out of stone-age and allowed this. Lets hope this is the next frontier for lotteries

Thanks ... it's going to seem like a long wait till March 22nd.

I like the 6/49 type game so I have it covered now in MA and PA ... I trust the MA system for the Megabucks Doubler with me being out of state.

I do like the Lotto 6/49 game in Canada but the MA game just cost a $1 and no "extra" purchase or double ticket price ... outside of the $4 UPS charge.

Not a bad deal ...

CW

Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2015, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

WTG Crazy Wombat Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2015, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! maringoman It sure would be nice especially for states like Oklahoma Bang Head that don't offer a state lotto jackpot game.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                          NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3709 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2015, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I have a subscription to NY's Lotto, but I know you have to have a physical mailing address in the State of New York to purchase one.  It's a 6/59 matrix with a bonus ball, and the odds stink compared to a 6/49 game like Mass Megabucks Doubler.  Had I known I could get a subscription to Mass MegaBucks Doubler, I might not have re-upped my Lotto subscription like I just did last week.  Instead I might have bought a Mass MegaBucks subscription.

I'm not clear on the cost per line...  NY's Lotto is 50 cents per line but you have to buy 2 lines minimum.

Is MA MegaBucks a buck a line?  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
                            Member #161539
                            December 3, 2014
                            328 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2015, 3:52 am - IP Logged

I have a subscription to NY's Lotto, but I know you have to have a physical mailing address in the State of New York to purchase one.  It's a 6/59 matrix with a bonus ball, and the odds stink compared to a 6/49 game like Mass Megabucks Doubler.  Had I known I could get a subscription to Mass MegaBucks Doubler, I might not have re-upped my Lotto subscription like I just did last week.  Instead I might have bought a Mass MegaBucks subscription.

I'm not clear on the cost per line...  NY's Lotto is 50 cents per line but you have to buy 2 lines minimum.

Is MA MegaBucks a buck a line?  G5

Yes, the cost is $1  a line or ticket. Here's the subscription cost ...

Megabucks Doubler is a $1 wager and is drawn two times a week. Tickets can be purchased in 3-month , 6-month  and 1-year increments.

You don't have to reside in Massachusetts to play the state lottery, you can play Megabucks Doubler from anywhere in the US.

SPECIAL HOLIDAY PRICING
                            NOVEMBER 16, 2014 through January 3, 2015
                            SEASON TICKETS MAKE GREAT GIFTS!

3 Month Season Ticket = $25
                            (26 drawings)
                            Discounted price $23-SAVE $3

6 Month Season Ticket = $50
                            (52 drawings)
                            Discounted price $45- SAVE $7

1 Year Season Ticket = $100
                            (104 drawings)
                            Discounted price $90-SAVE $14

I bought two lines or tickets and paid $50 ($25 + $25) plus the $4 UPS shipping charge for three months. After the Holiday Special ... the price is $25, $50 or $100.

That discount price must the actual cost if you get a subscription during the special Holiday pricing period. So you get a few "free" drawings if you sign up that way. I want to then reorder with a six month subscription in June to get into the new Holiday Special window next Nov and I will probably get my ticket(s) for a year and only pay the shipping charge just once a year.

If I understand everything correctly ...

CW

United States
                              Member #161539
                              December 3, 2014
                              328 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2015, 4:36 am - IP Logged

The 20 minute time limit ran out so I will post this additional information. I am not completely sure how the Doubler works on the season ticket. This is all the information I currently have on that part of the ticket.

It seems simple enough, I guess.

Explanation of Season Ticket Doubler (ST Doubler)

Owners of active Megabucks Season Tickets will also have the opportunity to have their non-jackpot prizes doubled!

After every Megabucks Doubler drawing, the Lottery will randomly draw and post  a Season Ticket Doubler Number (ST Doubler) from 0 through 9 that will correspond to the last number of the Megabucks Season Ticket's control number. The Megabucks Season Ticket's control number will remain the same for each drawing. The randomly drawn Season Ticket Doubler Number (ST Doubler) and the winning numbers for each drawing will be posted on our website. If the last digit of the control number on your Season Ticket matches the Season Ticket Doubler Number and the Season Ticket has won a non-jackpot prize, the non-jackpot prize value will be doubled!