Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which Lottery Winner...?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1203 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:39 am - IP Logged

In the same vein of "which famous person (past or present) you'd most like to meet and why", which lottery winner(s) would you most like to meet and why?

I'd most like to meet Cynthia Stafford, because I really want to know how much money she has left and what's really going on with her. I'd also like to meet Gloria to see how she's doing and how her life has changed. Finally, I'd like to have met David Edwards so I could have told him to keep his wife out of his life, set up a trust for his daughter and grandchild, and listen to his first financial advisor.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    639 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

The Wests & Nabors families

Raymond Buxton

Cisneros

They all won huge amounts and seem to be from different walks off life and I would like to discuss investment with all of them.

Also Joan Ginther to teach me how to game it.

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1203 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

The Wests & Nabors families

Raymond Buxton

Cisneros

They all won huge amounts and seem to be from different walks off life and I would like to discuss investment with all of them.

Also Joan Ginther to teach me how to game it.

LOL, I have no idea who these people are. Who is Joan Ginther?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
        Happy California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1549 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Mary & Brian Lohse $202M PB  I would ask them about their neighborhood grocery store they built in Iowa.

Abraham Lee Shakespeare $30M    Talk him into collecting the prize as 30 year plan and warn him about Dee Dee Moore.

Jim & Carolyn McCullar  in Ephrata,Washington split $380 M with Holly Lahti from Idaho.

Billy Bob Harrell jr. committed suicide. Would he be better off if he did not play & win ?

Andrew Jackson "Jack" Whittaker $315 M jackpot.  Another case where he should have taken the annuity plan. He did not really need the winnings.

William J. "Bud" Post 16.2M  He found out what is really important in life. "His family

Steven & Christine White  $200M

Paul White from Ham Lake , Minnesota $448 M split with two other winners from New Jersey

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          639 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Google lottery winners one year later, there is a people magazine article.

Same on Cisneros.

Ginther is a Texas resident who has a PhD in mathematics and won million $ scatchers multiple times, a lot of interesting articles on her too that sunmarizing them would do them ( and her ) justice.

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1203 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Google lottery winners one year later, there is a people magazine article.

Same on Cisneros.

Ginther is a Texas resident who has a PhD in mathematics and won million $ scatchers multiple times, a lot of interesting articles on her too that sunmarizing them would do them ( and her ) justice.

Okay, I did read about her, just didn't place the name. I'd like to ad her to my list as well. I think she'd be a fascinating person to gain insights from.

wisconsin
              United States
              Member #130754
              July 23, 2012
              199 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Brad Duke- I'm wondering how close to reaching a billion has he gotten.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2679 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2015, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1203 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2015, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

That's an excellent choice. Don't know how I forgot about him. I want to meet him too.

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    639 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2015, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

That's an excellent choice. Don't know how I forgot about him. I want to meet him too.

I read an article/interview some time ago on how he invested in fitness chains and he and his advisors have "come very close" to his billionaire goals

Google: what-are-they-doing-now-brad-duke-220-million-powerball-win

and       2007/02/20/magazines/fortune/lottery_winnings.fortune/index

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1203 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I read an article/interview some time ago on how he invested in fitness chains and he and his advisors have "come very close" to his billionaire goals

Google: what-are-they-doing-now-brad-duke-220-million-powerball-win

and       2007/02/20/magazines/fortune/lottery_winnings.fortune/index

The last article I read on him, he'd stated that he and his team were behind in where they needed to be to get to a billion in the time period he had wanted. I hope he makes it either way. That would be awesome...plus it's good to set goals after a big win. What I'd really love to know is what he plans to do once he gets to that mark. Has he ever said?

Germany
                        Member #164603
                        March 8, 2015
                        639 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

The last article I read on him, he'd stated that he and his team were behind in where they needed to be to get to a billion in the time period he had wanted. I hope he makes it either way. That would be awesome...plus it's good to set goals after a big win. What I'd really love to know is what he plans to do once he gets to that mark. Has he ever said?

He'd probably want to double i, lol.

Or did he say he wanted more money for charitable giving?

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1203 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

He'd probably want to double i, lol.

Or did he say he wanted more money for charitable giving?

He said he was doing it so he could give more to charity but I'm so not buying that. If he was that big on charity he would have given more than the $2 million he's given so far, and that $2M includes family and friends.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5754 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

He said he was doing it so he could give more to charity but I'm so not buying that. If he was that big on charity he would have given more than the $2 million he's given so far, and that $2M includes family and friends.

If he's giving money away it's more difficult to get to a billion dollars. He can't keep giving it away and reach his goal. If he gets to a billion he's got more to give away.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1203 Posts
                              Posted: March 9, 2015, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

If he's giving money away it's more difficult to get to a billion dollars. He can't keep giving it away and reach his goal. If he gets to a billion he's got more to give away.

I get that, I considered that, but I rebuffed that idea. If your entire focus is on philanthropy, and you've come into tens of millions of dollars, you don't wait around for the possibility of getting to a billion to then decide to give. Not when the money could be doing so much good now to people and/or charities presently in need. What if he never gets to a billion, then what? He's already 7 years past the goal date.

Other reason why I don't buy it is, people with those kinds of charitable goals have pet projects that they try to give attention to. Think about it. Every lottery winner (or wealthy person) who has donated has made a point of saying what their charity du jour is. For all the media attention he's gotten, I haven't heard a peep about anything other than his foundation gave some hazy amount of  money away.

I know way more about his bike hobby/investments than I do about his charity. Why? Because philanthropy and altruism is not his focus. His focus is bikes and becoming a billionaire. Which is fine. But as Judge Judy would say, "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining".