Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pay for tickets w/ credit card? NYC promotions

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
613 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible in your state to pay for lottery tickets using a credit card. That way your purchase is linked to your identity and should you ever need proof of purchase this would help you.

In the UK this has kept cheaters from redeeming prizes they would have stolen. Also sometimes people use store loyalty cards and this prevents theft too. (Tesco clubsmart for example).

I was also wondering where I can find out which promotions are running in the different states.

For example last time I was in New York there was a promotion that gave the player a free QP for every 10$ in Powerball tickets.

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1530 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

I think it is a bad idea to use a credit card to play the lottery.  Cash only,  don't make it too easy to loose your money.

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      613 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I don't think so.

My question was if the register allows for that, not if people with gambling problems could get themselves into debt.

It's not like your sticking a credit card into a slot machine, your using your credit card to make a 10$ purchase.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1183 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2015, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I don't think so.

My question was if the register allows for that, not if people with gambling problems could get themselves into debt.

It's not like your sticking a credit card into a slot machine, your using your credit card to make a 10$ purchase.

I think it goes by city. When I lived in a suburb of Ft Lauderdale I used to use my credit card to pay for gas and buy tickets at the same time. When I moved to Tampa, that was not allowed. I wouldn't mind if they did allow for the purchase of tickets with credit cards, at least that way my ticket purchases would be subsidized with reward points or cash back allowances. Having it prove I'm the real winner of a ticket would be an added bonus.

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          613 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I think it goes by city. When I lived in a suburb of Ft Lauderdale I used to use my credit card to pay for gas and buy tickets at the same time. When I moved to Tampa, that was not allowed. I wouldn't mind if they did allow for the purchase of tickets with credit cards, at least that way my ticket purchases would be subsidized with reward points or cash back allowances. Having it prove I'm the real winner of a ticket would be an added bonus.

Right, and the questions of when and where did you buy it would be answered with your CC statement.

kreative1's avatar - flower2
            NE PA
            United States
            Member #127838
            May 10, 2012
            1230 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

The stores here don't accept credit or debit card for lottery, just cash.

kreative1's avatar - flower2
              NE PA
              United States
              Member #127838
              May 10, 2012
              1230 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible in your state to pay for lottery tickets using a credit card. That way your purchase is linked to your identity and should you ever need proof of purchase this would help you.

In the UK this has kept cheaters from redeeming prizes they would have stolen. Also sometimes people use store loyalty cards and this prevents theft too. (Tesco clubsmart for example).

I was also wondering where I can find out which promotions are running in the different states.

For example last time I was in New York there was a promotion that gave the player a free QP for every 10$ in Powerball tickets.

PA promotions are on their state lottery site

South Carolina
                United States
                Member #18322
                July 9, 2005
                1704 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2015, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I assume US States are trying to PREVENT FRAUD, by NOT accepting credit cards. 

If states did accept credit cards, the lottery ticket printed out, should indicate that it was a credit card transaction, so that if it is a winning ticket, the winner should be required to present official photo proof [like drivers license] that he/she is the rightful owner of the credit card, to insure that the credit card is not "borrowed from a friend/relative, without permission" or stolen.

Even if this was a legal requirement, it would still potentially create legal problems, if the credit card was "borrowed from a friend/relative" WITH permission, to purchase lottery tickets.  Who is legally entitled to the $$$ Win then, the person who purchased the ticket, or the owner of the credit card ??? This scenario is probably a case for US CONTRACT LAW.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

When a merchant takes a credit card for your purchase they pay 2-3% to the card issuer,

since they only make about 5% on lottery tix this makes little sense, or cents !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                    Member #158848
                    September 5, 2014
                    294 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2015, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

In North Carolina, you can purchase with a debit card, but not a credit card.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #129225
                      June 13, 2012
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2015, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

When a merchant takes a credit card for your purchase they pay 2-3% to the card issuer,

since they only make about 5% on lottery tix this makes little sense, or cents !

I agree with you it is too costly for the retailer.  Plus you would always have someone that wanted to charge just one or two dollars!  I wouldn't buy my tickets with my cc even if it was allowed!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4108 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Paying for lottery tickets with a Credit Card. .No thanks.That is one can of worms l am not willing to open. Take this scenario: You buy 20 lottery tickets,  you check them & toss them when it turns out that you have no winners in that bunch. Your statement at the end of the month shows that you bought not 20 tickets but 35..

Your " losing" tickets were tossed 30 days ago and now you getting into a verbal battle with the retailer it's a " he said, she said" situation.  You focusing in on the" winning side" of your tickets- try thinking of the losing side which has a greater chance of happening. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1183 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you it is too costly for the retailer.  Plus you would always have someone that wanted to charge just one or two dollars!  I wouldn't buy my tickets with my cc even if it was allowed!

I don't mean this to sound antagonist but...Puh-lease. Almost every small establishment nowadays has a minimum purchase requirement when using a card, they could do that just the same with ticket purchases. 

As for the profit margin, who cares? If the shopowner is okay with making a 3% profit instead of 5% shouldn't that be his choice?  And the inevitable result of accepting credit card/debit card payments is that people will buy more tickets, so they'll either break even or end out ahead. And to make sure they do, they'll probably jack up the price of other items in the store. The $8 box of cereal will jump to $8.50. No one will notice.

Germany
                            Member #164603
                            March 8, 2015
                            613 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Paying for lottery tickets with a Credit Card. .No thanks.That is one can of worms l am not willing to open. Take this scenario: You buy 20 lottery tickets,  you check them & toss them when it turns out that you have no winners in that bunch. Your statement at the end of the month shows that you bought not 20 tickets but 35..

Your " losing" tickets were tossed 30 days ago and now you getting into a verbal battle with the retailer it's a " he said, she said" situation.  You focusing in on the" winning side" of your tickets- try thinking of the losing side which has a greater chance of happening. 

I think in the UK your receipt shows the amount total, not sure if it also says amount of lines or an itemized list withall your numbers.

I meant it in the way of "C&C Liquor 1stAve 30$", a general cc statement that you could then use to proof purchase by having your cc company giving the lotto comission this information. As an added security against getting swindled.

@teddi

I agree, there is no reason why stores couldn't say "credit only for totals >10$" or something like that. Or they could offer the customer to use cc but make him pay the fee. (which may not be permitted, not sure how it works in the US)

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1183 Posts
                              Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I find this situation highly improbable, but even if it did happen, so what? Have you ever filed a dispute over a charge with a vendor? The credit card company almost always takes the side of you, their customer, not the vendor. The vendor would have to show a receipt with your credit card number and signature showing you purchased 35 tickets instead of 20, and even then you could claim fraud and still win. The chance of a vendor scamming you over tickets is no higher than a vendor scamming you over any other purchase. Unless you have this same fear over every credit card purchase you make and so you only use cash, your fear seems irrational. I'd be more concerned over using credit cards at a restaurant or hotel or Target. At least those are proven hotbeds of credit card fraud.