Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pay for tickets w/ credit card? NYC promotions

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
Member #158848
September 5, 2014
294 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2015, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Paying for lottery tickets with a Credit Card. .No thanks.That is one can of worms l am not willing to open. Take this scenario: You buy 20 lottery tickets,  you check them & toss them when it turns out that you have no winners in that bunch. Your statement at the end of the month shows that you bought not 20 tickets but 35..

Your " losing" tickets were tossed 30 days ago and now you getting into a verbal battle with the retailer it's a " he said, she said" situation.  You focusing in on the" winning side" of your tickets- try thinking of the losing side which has a greater chance of happening. 

Just be sure to keep the paper credit card receipt that is issued to you at the time of purchase. I always check the receipt for accuracy before leaving a store.

I don't see a problem with using CC's for lottery ticket purchases. I say give the retailers the option as to whether or not they want to accept them.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    604 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2015, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

The only issue I see is where anonymity is concerned. The clerk/store owner who sold the winning could look into the purchases around the winning ticket and "find you out", but they could also do that if you were a frequent customer or by looking at their surveillance tapes.

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible in your state to pay for lottery tickets using a credit card. That way your purchase is linked to your identity and should you ever need proof of purchase this would help you.

In the UK this has kept cheaters from redeeming prizes they would have stolen. Also sometimes people use store loyalty cards and this prevents theft too. (Tesco clubsmart for example).

I was also wondering where I can find out which promotions are running in the different states.

For example last time I was in New York there was a promotion that gave the player a free QP for every 10$ in Powerball tickets.

I have used a debit card to buy subscriptions. If you use a credit card, the card issuer may view the transaction as a cash advance, which would incur interest charges and feed. With a debit card comes out of your bank account, without any additional charges or fees.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4106 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I find this situation highly improbable, but even if it did happen, so what? Have you ever filed a dispute over a charge with a vendor? The credit card company almost always takes the side of you, their customer, not the vendor. The vendor would have to show a receipt with your credit card number and signature showing you purchased 35 tickets instead of 20, and even then you could claim fraud and still win. The chance of a vendor scamming you over tickets is no higher than a vendor scamming you over any other purchase. Unless you have this same fear over every credit card purchase you make and so you only use cash, your fear seems irrational. I'd be more concerned over using credit cards at a restaurant or hotel or Target. At least those are proven hotbeds of credit card fraud.

Its not a case of Fear Teddi- its just that l never use a CC for any transaction that is made at a convenience store.Big stores & restaurants, no problem. Which reminds me of this fact Teddi- l purchased a weed-eater from Home Depot about 2 years ago- within 45 or so days my bank calls me up and asks me whether l added an extra purchase of an item that was $45.00 plus two days following that purchase, l said No. That card was stopped and l was issued a New One. We talking about Home Depot, the 500 lb Gorilla of business and l am going to run my CC for lottery tickets at a convenience store?.. l think Not.Confused

By the way l use a Debit card more than a CC for any of my purchases- its a better way for me personally to keep tabs on my balances.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          604 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Its not a case of Fear Teddi- its just that l never use a CC for any transaction that is made at a convenience store.Big stores & restaurants, no problem. Which reminds me of this fact Teddi- l purchased a weed-eater from Home Depot about 2 years ago- within 45 or so days my bank calls me up and asks me whether l added an extra purchase of an item that was $45.00 plus two days following that purchase, l said No. That card was stopped and l was issued a New One. We talking about Home Depot, the 500 lb Gorilla of business and l am going to run my CC for lottery tickets at a convenience store?.. l think Not.Confused

By the way l use a Debit card more than a CC for any of my purchases- its a better way for me personally to keep tabs on my balances.

Well, Walmart and Walgreens sell lottery tickets to, or don't they?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4106 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Well, Walmart and Walgreens sell lottery tickets to, or don't they?

Walmart- l think not. Walgreens , maybe.

Where in Germany do you live?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Germany
              Member #164603
              March 8, 2015
              604 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Walmart- l think not. Walgreens , maybe.

Where in Germany do you live?

I read Walgreens never sold them and when they bought Duane Reade they stopped it because the systems weren't compatible.

The North, why?

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4106 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

I read Walgreens never sold them and when they bought Duane Reade they stopped it because the systems weren't compatible.

The North, why?

Have family in the South, outside Stuttgart, a City named Esslingen and some in the North as well.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't mean this to sound antagonist but...Puh-lease. Almost every small establishment nowadays has a minimum purchase requirement when using a card, they could do that just the same with ticket purchases. 

As for the profit margin, who cares? If the shopowner is okay with making a 3% profit instead of 5% shouldn't that be his choice?  And the inevitable result of accepting credit card/debit card payments is that people will buy more tickets, so they'll either break even or end out ahead. And to make sure they do, they'll probably jack up the price of other items in the store. The $8 box of cereal will jump to $8.50. No one will notice.

Well, where I come from small business establishments are NOT allowed to put a minimum purchase requirement in effect if someone is using a CC so it very much hurts their profits.

I agree with noise-gate I can't see any reason to every use a cc to purchase lottery tickets and I certainly would find it to no advantage for myself.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Credit cards aren't allowed for lottery ticket purchases in Louisiana, but I've seen some retailers do it anyway.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      604 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2015, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Have family in the South, outside Stuttgart, a City named Esslingen and some in the North as well.

Have been to Stuttgart 2-3 times, it is absolutely beautiful and in fact one of the places where I would buy if I won the lottery, very picturesque.

kreative1's avatar - flower2
                        NE PA
                        United States
                        Member #127838
                        May 10, 2012
                        1230 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I googled... can credit cards be used for gambling

it's the banks of credit cards that don't allow it for some obvious reasons

credit vs debit cards and identity theft from stores or restaurants

best bet do online banking...use credit card from your bank

any suspicious charges will be seen by you and stopped with a phone call

better to have  the credit company on board and card cancelled over personal accounts being in jeopardy

this happened twice with hubbys debit so now we use credit card and just pay off monthly balance

took me a long time to switch to online banking but both times would have been a huge mess if I didn't see it immediately

United States
                          Member #158848
                          September 5, 2014
                          294 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2015, 12:48 am - IP Logged

Have been to Stuttgart 2-3 times, it is absolutely beautiful and in fact one of the places where I would buy if I won the lottery, very picturesque.

Willkommen, mein freund! Smiley

Have you been to Wurzburg? Smaller and friendlier than Stuttgart, with a good central location. Beautiful and picturesque, with a rich heritage in arts and culture, as well as education and research.

United States
                            Member #158848
                            September 5, 2014
                            294 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Lots of credit card fraud in restaurants.

All the major grocery store chains in my area sell lottery tickets, so no reason for me to go to a convenience store. The customer service desks are rarely busy, so I get in and out faster than I could at a convenience store also.

Germany
                              Member #164603
                              March 8, 2015
                              604 Posts
                              Posted: March 9, 2015, 2:39 am - IP Logged

Willkommen, mein freund! Smiley

Have you been to Wurzburg? Smaller and friendlier than Stuttgart, with a good central location. Beautiful and picturesque, with a rich heritage in arts and culture, as well as education and research.

Thanks!

The downside to Würzburg of course is: it is in Bavaria.Big Grin