Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much for the tithe?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 2 years ago by music*.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Inland Empire
United States
Member #118116
October 22, 2011
316 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2015, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I occasionally attend a local Unitarian church. They don't push for anything, which can be both nice and bland at the same time.

I was thinking. If I ever won a jackpot, I will have to hire a tax attorney. I know that I will have to pay the initial 25%. But what about other 15% next year? Is there any way to avoid it? Well...

Some people create their own charity foundation and DONATE TO THEMSELVES. And AFAIK it's not illegal so far. I think I should do the same. 

Maybe I should buy some new iMacs for the church and its school. They do have a school and I want to provide some educational materials, and possibly iPads, too. And I'd donate some money regularly for better snacks after services. 

But donating 10% of the winning to the church (any church)?! No way. 

I'd use my charity organization to give away gift cards to local college veterans' clubs. Well, considering that there dozens of colleges (public alone!) in my area I guess I found a way to get a good tax credit and to help my fellow vets. A good supply of Amazon gift cards will be good for my fellow veterans. 

My closest friend is a Christian pastor. He often calls me out for lunch, and fesses up all the corruptions of churches to me. I didn't ask him to tell me such. He is utilizing me to pour out his frustration. He has no one else to tell what he has witnessed. He is a good guy. And he's barely handling the politics and whatnot inside the churches. The previous church he served was full of internal politics, so he was eventually kicked out. 

Yeah, I believe in the Lord but the whole thing doesn't exactly work out like the Scripture describes...

Eugene Oregan
    United States
    Member #128629
    May 29, 2012
    419 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I occasionally attend a local Unitarian church. They don't push for anything, which can be both nice and bland at the same time.

I was thinking. If I ever won a jackpot, I will have to hire a tax attorney. I know that I will have to pay the initial 25%. But what about other 15% next year? Is there any way to avoid it? Well...

Some people create their own charity foundation and DONATE TO THEMSELVES. And AFAIK it's not illegal so far. I think I should do the same. 

Maybe I should buy some new iMacs for the church and its school. They do have a school and I want to provide some educational materials, and possibly iPads, too. And I'd donate some money regularly for better snacks after services. 

I'd use my charity organization to give away gift cards to local college veterans' clubs. Well, considering that there dozens of colleges (public alone!) in my area I guess I found a way to get a good tax credit and to help my fellow vets. A good supply of Amazon gift cards will be good for my fellow veterans. 

My closest friend is a Christian pastor. He often calls me out for lunch, and fesses up all the corruptions of churches to me. I didn't ask him to tell me such. He is utilizing me to pour out his frustration. He has no one else to tell what he has witnessed. He is a good guy. And he's barely handling the politics and whatnot inside the churches. The previous church he served was full of internal politics, so he was eventually kicked out. 

Yeah, I believe in the Lord but the whole thing doesn't exactly work out like the Scripture describes...

Funny you say i believe in God satan believes in God.And as far as the scriptures most of it was written  hundreds of years ahead of when it happens. Also reading someone else mail does not mean you will understand the letter. The bible is a series of letters  to believers that are saved. Read a letter and dont even know the story or believe how would you know. Of the world or in the world  you choose.

Inland Empire
      United States
      Member #118116
      October 22, 2011
      316 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:30 am - IP Logged

Funny you say i believe in God satan believes in God.And as far as the scriptures most of it was written  hundreds of years ahead of when it happens. Also reading someone else mail does not mean you will understand the letter. The bible is a series of letters  to believers that are saved. Read a letter and dont even know the story or believe how would you know. Of the world or in the world  you choose.

Now I am suddenly curious about the educational demographics of Eugene....OregAn. Wait... Combining several factors, I can extrapolate a few things about you.

EDIT: I did a quick research on alexa.com. And my question was somewhat answered. :D

fajardo
        United States
        Member #152445
        February 15, 2014
        47 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in the traditional tithe , specially in those churches where they ask for peoples w-2 and demand a certain quantity and the people who gives the most gets more privileges. 

I can take that 10% and make sure the money is going to worthy causes, I could feed the homeless , pay medical bills , educate and other things that I believe would be in the spirit of God. 

Is not that I don't trust religious leaders , is just that crooks go where the money and power is and in most communities the religious leaders hold a lot of power even when they are shady individuals.

Inland Empire
          United States
          Member #118116
          October 22, 2011
          316 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in the traditional tithe , specially in those churches where they ask for peoples w-2 and demand a certain quantity and the people who gives the most gets more privileges. 

I can take that 10% and make sure the money is going to worthy causes, I could feed the homeless , pay medical bills , educate and other things that I believe would be in the spirit of God. 

Is not that I don't trust religious leaders , is just that crooks go where the money and power is and in most communities the religious leaders hold a lot of power even when they are shady individuals.

Thank you for your good post.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10350 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

gogidolim,

People who fell for the Universal Life Church gambit about donating their paycheck to the 'church'. which was themselves, and then paying themselves living costs went to Federal Pens for that little trick.

Also, this chap fancied himself as being really sharp when it came to taxes:

Irwin Schiff
            From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irwin Allan Schiff (born February 24, 1928) is an American and prominent figure in the tax protester movement. Schiff is known for writing and promoting literature that claims the United States income tax is applied incorrectly. He has lost several civil cases against the federal government and has a record of multiple convictions for various federal tax crimes. Schiff is serving a 13-plus year sentence for tax crimes with his location listed as the Federal Correctional Institution at Fort Worth, Texas. His projected release date has been changed from October 7, 2016 to July 26, 2017.[1] Schiff is the father of investor and former United States Senate candidate Peter Schiff.
            Schiff has a web site named "PayNoIncomeTax.com", which has previously offered his various books for sale. He is featured in Hollywood producer Aaron Russo's 2006 film

The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?
            About 15 years.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Inland Empire
              United States
              Member #118116
              October 22, 2011
              316 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:57 am - IP Logged

gogidolim,

People who fell for the Universal Life Church gambit about donating their paycheck to the 'church'. which was themselves, and then paying themselves living costs went to Federal Pens for that little trick.

Also, this chap fancied himself as being really sharp when it came to taxes:

Irwin Schiff
              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irwin Allan Schiff (born February 24, 1928) is an American and prominent figure in the tax protester movement. Schiff is known for writing and promoting literature that claims the United States income tax is applied incorrectly. He has lost several civil cases against the federal government and has a record of multiple convictions for various federal tax crimes. Schiff is serving a 13-plus year sentence for tax crimes with his location listed as the Federal Correctional Institution at Fort Worth, Texas. His projected release date has been changed from October 7, 2016 to July 26, 2017.[1] Schiff is the father of investor and former United States Senate candidate Peter Schiff.
              Schiff has a web site named "PayNoIncomeTax.com", which has previously offered his various books for sale. He is featured in Hollywood producer Aaron Russo's 2006 film

The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?
              About 15 years.

Thumbs Up Thanks for the info.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10350 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:01 am - IP Logged

No problem
                Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  644 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2015, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Most believe that 10% is the norm, but give what you feel is right in your heart and you cant go wrong, and that's whether you have millions or just a few dollars

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22893 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Not all churches are bad. Some feel the pressure to reduce their standards and stray away from what is proper in

God's eyes and word. The pressure on churches to bend the rules, let up on the people, lower standards and conform

to followers instead of the followers conforming to the laws of the church and God made a bad name for lots of them.

The need to please to prevent congregations from leaving the church put them between a rock and a hard place.

How can you appease the masses by upholding rules no one wants to follow? How can you compete with other churches

who rely on and are pulling in lots of money in the collection baskets because they are willing to 'take it easy' on the

people and overlook and rewrite the rules to make everyone happy and willing to give? When you can't compete, you

conform. Tithing to me is giving where it is needed. You are in control of your money and you need to see it goes to

where it's going to do the most good. If you think that is the church...go ahead give it to them. If you think your money

is going to do better for more people elsewhere...shelter, hospital, charity, less fortunate neighbor...etc...I don't think

that's wrong. There are some churches who say, give us 5% and the other 5% to who YOU think needs it. Then there

are some that make you feel guilty for not giving 20% the THEM. It's black and white. You know where your donation

is going to do the most good. I don't think God will hold it against you if you don't give it to the church. But try and give

to someone or something...a person in need or an organization who helps those in need. You will feel better and the

rewards are real.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                      Cordova,Al.
                      United States
                      Member #104482
                      January 15, 2011
                      4892 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:41 am - IP Logged

10% + is the bottom base for tithes, If you feel in your heart you're learning more there. Then give more. Some church has school, food pantries { food is keep there, for people or family, where someone is lay off} . Some have a place where they feed the homeless 2 time a week. Some have shelters & warehouse, where larger items are kept, bedding etc, things to start over with in case of fire or flood....etc. Most of time it all coming out of the same offering plate.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49709 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2015, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Since your tithing is predicated on Winning a Jackpot: You won't be tithing anytime soon! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #62713
                          July 6, 2008
                          3715 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Who says that tithing is for a Human? You are putting God first which is the whole reason to Tithing, what the Pastor/Church does with the $$ is up to them and God. Its your commitment to God that he sees, and believe me you will get it back tenfold !!!

Keep moving Forward.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1182 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Who says that tithing is for a Human? You are putting God first which is the whole reason to Tithing, what the Pastor/Church does with the $$ is up to them and God. Its your commitment to God that he sees, and believe me you will get it back tenfold !!!

Exactly right. This basic principle seems to escape so many and seems to have gotten corrupted over time. Tithing has nothing to do with duty to any church. 

And I must say that if anyone is looking for a perfect church or even a perfect charity, they do not exist. Tithing is about the individual's relationship with God, nothing else, and certainly no one else.

SWATS Shawty
                              United States
                              Member #123454
                              February 21, 2012
                              22176 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Amen. I'd hate to get before the Father on judgment day and be concerned about not giving HIM HIS TITHE. The tithe belongs to God, not you who working to get a check or you who hit the lottery and gain a million dollar estate. Will a man rob God, yet you have robbed me...you ask how, in tithe and offering. It's about relationship with the God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If man or your shepherd chooses to knowingly not be a good servant over the tithe trust and believe God will definitely bring him or her down. Even Jesus said give to Ceasar what belongs to him. Surely uncle sam is no greater than the God you say you believe in. If you rob uncle sam, the IRS will surely hunt you down. So why ROB God???